Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DangerousSausage

Where will Notts be in ten years?

Recommended Posts

In a matter of hours an eventful decade will draw to a close, one that saw one promotion almost a decade ago and two relegations. We've seen world class players don the black and white stripes, and Balint Bajner, and trips to Juventus and Solihull. 

But now is the time to look forward. Where will we be in ten years, on 31 December 2029? Will we have followed in Luton's footsteps, or will we be playing local derbies in Carlton? 

My guess is League Two. We'll achieve promotion to the League on the third attempt, followed by another promotion a year or two later, a foolish sacking and relegation towards the end of the decade. 

What do you think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if we focus on stability, the fans coming together and trying to really make a positive influence - I can see Notts securing a play-off space this season.

Will promotion follow? I don't think so, it's possible, but with everything there's so much to factor in.

If the club can keep supporters involved, feeling like they're a part of the club - not just a select few but extended beyond the known faces, then I can see the Danish brothers bringing a level of success back to the club.

2020/2021 - Possible promotion from the National League

A few years of standard League Two football.

2024/2025 - Promotion to League One
2025/2026 - Mid-table League One
2027/2028 - Established League One side

2029/2030 - Pushing to become a Championship club.

For now, it's all about growth and numbers. Success on the pitch rarely happens without the following playing a massive role in their clubs progression, I think identifying good players is only part of the issue we have faced. Establishing a connection between the player, club and fans is something that takes that to the next level. Self pride when putting on the first is one thing, doing it to create or gain that buss from knowing the fans respects you is another thing.

Ask Lee Hughes what often motivated him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think in five years time we will be a football league club, after that it depends on the direction our new owners have taken us. if we find some luck and fortune there is no reason why we cant then push on for promotion from league two.

possibly league one.

i dont see the club being much higher than that right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

League Two/League One.

I can see Notts bouncing between divisions, perhaps the odd Championship reign but nothing long. Only short lived IMO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

League One hopefully, the club has to spend time establishing itself as a good club that is moving forward.

Not backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

glowing breathe in GIF by somenerv

I wished I had a magic ball that would tell me the answer, I don't know, but I would hope Notts are pushing for promotion in whatever league they find themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris said:

I think if we focus on stability, the fans coming together and trying to really make a positive influence - I can see Notts securing a play-off space this season.

Will promotion follow? I don't think so, it's possible, but with everything there's so much to factor in.

If the club can keep supporters involved, feeling like they're a part of the club - not just a select few but extended beyond the known faces, then I can see the Danish brothers bringing a level of success back to the club.

2020/2021 - Possible promotion from the National League

A few years of standard League Two football.

2024/2025 - Promotion to League One
2025/2026 - Mid-table League One
2027/2028 - Established League One side

2029/2030 - Pushing to become a Championship club.

For now, it's all about growth and numbers. Success on the pitch rarely happens without the following playing a massive role in their clubs progression, I think identifying good players is only part of the issue we have faced. Establishing a connection between the player, club and fans is something that takes that to the next level. Self pride when putting on the first is one thing, doing it to create or gain that buss from knowing the fans respects you is another thing.

Ask Lee Hughes what often motivated him.

I think this will be the most likely case scenario, there's much we don't know right now about the clubs direction.

The Danish brothers could lose interest in Notts.

We might fail to break even and this would put any owner at risk, but I think we should be looking at League One at the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chris That definitely sounds like a plan, but you're ignoring our epic capacity to mess things up! Getting promotion is one challenge. History shows us that clubs promoted from this league do tend to be upwardly mobile for a few years afterwards, but I'm trying not to thinking about us failing and ending up like Wrexham...

@TheSkipper Another question about the owners is how far they can support the club financially. It might not be a problem in this league or in League Two, but the Championship or maybe even the upper reaches of League One is a different ball game. We might find ourselves unable to compete financially and looking for new owners, in which case all bets will be off.

3 hours ago, upthepies said:

League Two/League One.

I can see Notts bouncing between divisions, perhaps the odd Championship reign but nothing long. Only short lived IMO!

The Championship is three promotions away. Bearing in mind that we've won promotion only once since 1998, three in the next ten years would be a dream!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back-to-back promotions is achievable but this is down to the squad playing well, and the manager being able to make sure they're focused.

If Notts are ever to regain a Championship status, they need to plan towards ensuring any possible downfall can be prevented. Relegation is a risk for any time but this is mostly down to a lack of oversight, planning and management. Brentford would be the ideal team Notts should aspire to be more like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see a minimum of 3 promotions, with one at least being a league title.

League One is the highest I can see the club currently climbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 10 years, you would hope that Notts can come back to the football league stronger.

Promotions? They don't come easily especially for Notts.

I would like to see the club return to League One, but much of it depends on escaping this pit called the National League. The club is prone to throwing success down the drain, so we could have a few years where we flirt with relegation from the football league again. It depends on the owners ability to move the club is a direct and steady path, with a manager who knows how to get there.

No short cuts, just hard work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just hope we can get back up to the football league and keep some consistancy by 10yrs time. It wouldnt be notts if we went up to the premier league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to the Football League may take a few of these years.

After that you would either expect the club to require establishing themselves in League Two, or pick up from where they left off the previous season. By which point we would be at least 5 years into this. I don't see or expect the club to instantly bounce back, my hope is at least after a few seasons of returning that Notts might be pushing for League One football again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on the direction the new owners takes the club, if they make the right calls with the managerial side of things and backing whoever is in charge. Notts could get back to the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2020 at 20:56, DangerousSausage said:

The Championship is three promotions away. Bearing in mind that we've won promotion only once since 1998, three in the next ten years would be a dream!

If the owners target progression, I don't see why three promotions can't happen.

I think realistically two needs to be the target for the next 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If in 10 years time, Notts hasn't regained Football League status the club wouldn't have progressed at all. I would be disappointed with not making League One, as this seems to be a realistic target.

The Reedtz brothers seem to be the right men for the mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hope by then we could be secure in the league, not stuck in non league or going up & down like a yoyo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About PON

Pride of Nottingham

Pride of Nottingham is an independent fansite devoted to Notts County, the world’s oldest league football club. Created in 2013, it has served as a source of Magpie news, features, match previews, reports, analysis and interviews for more than three years.

Support PON

Enjoy our content? Want to help us grow? Your donation will go a long way towards improving the site!

donate-pon.png

Meet the Team

Chris Chris Administrators
Magic magpie Magic magpie Administrators
ARLukomski ARLukomski Administrators
CliftonMagpie CliftonMagpie Global Moderators
super_ram super_ram Media

Social Media

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Pride of Nottingham uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. To approve, simply continue using the site or click 'I accept' Terms of Use.