AmericanPie

Which players will still be here in 5 years time?

Which players will still be here in 5 years time?

There are some good players at the club, if Notts are to progress further, I think that the majority of the squad needs to be retained and given chance to settle. Too many teams start over, offering small contracts. Do you think many will be here in 5 years time? If so, who?

Do you think retaining players would be a sign of progression also?

Hopefully, we'll be able to retain more than a few.

Usually by the five year point, Notts will have a completely new squad or just a single surviving member of the playing squad. Likewise, we need to retain the coaches for once and only improve the area.

Who was the last player to spend 5 years at Notts? Edwards? It's a rarity these days and for that reason I genuinely only think someone like Slocombe could be here for that amount of time.

I think one of the problem's Notts face is if they're genuinely good they'll soon get offers from clubs in higher leagues. I can see players like Booty, Lacey and Enzio moving upwards if we don't.

I hope Bird and Ozzy will also be two of the players, as they've been here nearly 3 years now, still young but also good enough to be here.

• Like 3

It's a fair point about good young players, it would be a miracle to keep Regan Booty.

If he's still here, his form will either have dipped or suffered due to how Notts are performing, I fully expect to only see 2/3 of this squad in 5 years time.

@menzinho The best case is for us to move up the leagues, with a core of players moving up and developing with us. That hasn't happened with us in a long time, but it needs to. The only longish-serving player we've had since Edwards has been Hollis, who was here because no-one else wanted him and we couldn't manage to sign better...

On 04/01/2020 at 00:01, DangerousSausage said:

Hollis, who was here because no-one else wanted him and we couldn't manage to sign better.

This is a bit harsh, the club attempted to give some youngsters the time develop further.

Consider the amount of changes he had during his time, I thought he did okay until it all went down hill. One mistake was giving him the armband, I also felt he needed someone established by his side like Mike Edwards. He also played some of his better stuff with Notts in League One.

• Like 1

Notts is never one of those teams who brings through the younger players, say from 18-24, as future replacements for the players with experience. Each season it's out with the old and in with the new, it's got to change.

I agree with @menzinho that out of the current squad I can only see Slocombe as still being here in 5 years time. A lot of whether the younger more talented players stay will depend on which league Notts are in.

I think there will be more than Sam Slocombe here, if he continues his form he could easily sign for another league club. It's the issue Notts faces, now Kyle Wootton has signed we need to try to progress with him and Regan Booty.

On 06/01/2020 at 15:29, thommo said:

This is a bit harsh, the club attempted to give some youngsters the time develop further.

Consider the amount of changes he had during his time, I thought he did okay until it all went down hill. One mistake was giving him the armband, I also felt he needed someone established by his side like Mike Edwards. He also played some of his better stuff with Notts in League One.

Harsh maybe, but true :D he wasn't a raw youngster any more by the time he left us, he was 25 and had over 130 games under his belt, and had stopped making any progress some time before. Bird is a far better prospect than he ever was IMO.

To answer the question, Lacey, Wooton, maybe Bird and Osborne if they make the grade...

It will be a tail tale sign of how the club is progressing, fans often overlook this area and become crazed by the amount of transfers. Forgetting that it takes time, that the players need to develop together and grow an understanding on the pitch.

You look at any successful team, even those operating on a low budget.

They will have a spine of players that have been around each other for a number of seasons, it makes a huge difference.

I hope we can keep the likes of Sam Osborne, Kyle Wootton, Regan Booty, Sam Slocombe, Alex Lacey, Dion Kelly-Evans.

• Like 1

I suspect one or two will remain, it would be nice to see Neal Ardley establish a base of upcoming players, who are able to make good first team appearances. I have always felt Notts should be a club like Peterborough.