Match Discussion: Game 8 - The Hatters (H)

Super_Danny_Allsopp

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

This will be a tough game and for me could define the season, it is a real litmus test for the quality of our squad.

Stockport are 9th with 19 points having played only 9 games, a 2.1 ppg average. Notts on the other hand are 7th with 20 points, but have played 12 games with a 1.67 ppg average. With that points per game average so far, Stockport's projected finish would be 1st, with only Torquay having a better ppg thus far (2.46). Notts are really play-off contenders with our showing so far this season, and given the results and performances, nobody would really argue that. There are limitations on this though, a poor run of only 3 games (for example 2 losses and a draw), and Stockport's ppg would plummet to the same as ours.

Recently Stockport have beaten a 10-man Barnet 2-1, but it is hard to tell how much can be read from this, with Barnet blowing hot and cold, they've been smashed recently by Chesterfield, who, and while no offence is meant, are not exactly Barcelona. Prior to that they'd beaten Bromley 2-0 away from home, which is more impressive as Bromley have roughly the same ppg as us and are 3rd. 

If we win with a good performance, it stands us in good stead that we have the quality to challenge for automatic promotion. Even a draw with a good performance would be OK. However, a poor performance where we are clearly second best and a draw or a loss, then for me we can kiss goodbye any hopes for automatic and settle for play-offs as the best case scenario. A negative line-up (JOB, Reeves, Doyle starting, Rodrigues benched) and 'respecting the point' would be a massive negative for me. If we do that, it indicates to  me that the manager doesn't think the squad are good enough to beat Stockport on our own turf, which would be a startling admission given that top spot should have been the goal for this season.

• liampie changed the title to Match Discussion: Game 8 - The Hatters (H)

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

this will be a good test to see how we do against sides tipped for promotion, i think its going to be a difficult game at first but hopefully once our own performances lift we can get the better of stockport.

i am hoping to see 2 strikers start but would understand if this did not happen.

just need to attack them and defend carefully,

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Stockport are a decent team but aren't undefeatable.

Notts has to rely on being structurally sound at the back, if we defend well I think Notts could show that they're able to get good victories over teams in a similar expectation. The thing for me is ensuring that we do against those we should be beating, but I think tonight depends on what line-up starts.

I think it will be end to end too. 

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Stockport are promotion rivals. They are going along quite nicely. I think they'll come to the Lane and leave with 3 points tonight. The Yardley Out Brigade will be out in force.....sigh........

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I’m hoping we go back to the 4-2-3-1 for this game (assuming we don’t go 4-4-2). The issue with the 4-3-3 is that if the wide attackers are tracking back a lot it basically becomes a 4-5-1. Wootton alone up top is not ideal, he plays better with someone close to him. With the 4-2-3-1, at worst that becomes a 4-4-1-1, so there’s still someone to support the striker.

As for the trio behind Wootton, I’d have Rodrigues in behind then two from Sam, Walker and Enzio. Hopefully we’ll have Thomas back on the bench tonight too. I mentioned previously about Wolfe, but I’m highly doubtful he’ll make the team tonight.

Tough game. Would I take a draw? Assuming we got a good performance alongside it, yeah.

I’ll go for a hopeful 2-2. Enzio and Sam for us.

Also for those without BT Sport (or a pub that isn’t serving scotch eggs!) apparently you can watch the game on SkyBet if you have an account…

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Looks like we'll have one up top, I think this will cause us to be somewhat isolated unless we start off well.

Knowles, Walker and Sam all on the bench.

One of these could make an impact but I would've thought we would go with 2 up top, giving us more chance to attack. Yet, it all depends on how we play. If our midfield does their part, then the wingers might be able to support Wootton. Enzio might also give some support, still looking forward to the game.

Don't forget it's on BT Sports 1.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

Nothing like telling the opposition that we're playing for a draw right from the start of the game.

If we go behind, I can't see us chasing the game very well.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Vital 3 points. Torquay lost so the gap has closed. Need to go on a winning run to build on this. We can't win one, lose one. Needs to be an unbeaten run. 

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

Right team was chosen tonight, although I admit it looked defensively setup.

It's a good win.

Stockport looked nothing special, not sure why we should fear them our defence kept them at bay.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I am not wanting to sound negative but if it wasn't for Richard Brindley, this would've ended 0-0.

Neither team looked like finding the net until that happened.

Jake Reeves shot wide but aside from that no other close chances for us came. It's a good win, lack of efforts doesn't change that but we do need to work the ball around a little bit more so that the chances aren't forced.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

Notts played well as a team, well deserved victory which will give the club something to build on when they do return to action.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  383
  • Days Won:  8

7 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

Vital 3 points. Torquay lost so the gap has closed. Need to go on a winning run to build on this. We can't win one, lose one. Needs to be an unbeaten run. 

This

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,799
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

13 hours ago, TheSkipper said:

I am not wanting to sound negative but if it wasn't for Richard Brindley, this would've ended 0-0.

Neither team looked like finding the net until that happened.

Jake Reeves shot wide but aside from that no other close chances for us came. It's a good win, lack of efforts doesn't change that but we do need to work the ball around a little bit more so that the chances aren't forced.

The real other key was the pass from Ruben. The lay off from Wootton wasn't that good as Reeves had to give it a touch to control. It was a must win game and we won. For that I am grateful.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  2

3 more points nailed to the table, its building nicely. I note that BT Sports mentioned we are 6 points better off that last season. Its progress and such a good win, not that pretty on goal but the performance was perfectly fine.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  739
  • Days Won:  3

I am pleased that Notts got the win.

It could've turned out different had Notts not worked hard, also if Cal Roberts had returned as mentioned he wanted to play it could have lead to further setbacks. It shows Notts can get a victory without the likes of him and Tom Walker.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

That is massive, as Stockport were only a few points behind us with three games in hand. A win for them and they'd have overtaken us and had an opportunity to build a big lead over us. Now we've got a big psychological boost going into the Christmas programme and another clean sheet. Excellent.

We just need to start doing it regularly on our travels too...

Archived