Play-offs it is then

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,506
  • Days Won:  287

It's happened then, we're in the play-offs yet again. It still blows my mind that we haven't gone up automatically with these numbers, but it is what it is.

This season's team is definitely made of tougher stuff than the ones that came before it, but the semi-final and (hopefully) the final will be one-off games and anything could happen. While it's encouraging that we haven't lost a single one of our 14 games against the other teams in the lay-off picture, it won't count for a lot at kick-off time.

So these are the other teams in the picture. Boreham Wood need to draw one of their last two games to confirm their spot, and then the only question will be whether Chesterfield or Woking take third place and a spot in the other semi-final. What do you think - who would you fancy our chances against, and who should we avoid? And do you think we'll see it through to the end?

image.png

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

The playoffs shouldn't be feared. It all comes down to preparation, mental awareness, and rising to the occasion. Besides, it's an experience that should be enjoyed. Like you were saying to @super_ram, it's a good thing for players to have on their CV, even if it does say runner-up (For Derby but it applies to Notts). The experience of playing at Wembley should help the players step up their game, having been there before.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,713
  • Days Won:  36

I don't think we need to avoid anyone if you look at the table, we've not yet been beaten by any of these teams and there is a reason we are currently 25 points clear of them. Of the ones we are likely to play, you would think Chesterfield will give us the toughest game as they are the nearest to our style of play and they have strengthened since we last played them. That and by the nature of it being a potential local Derby final would suggest them as our main challenges.

Boredom Wood will make for the worst playoff because of their tactics, so I'm hoping Barnet will do them in the first playoff game.

• Like 9

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  744
  • Days Won:  3

To go down to the 2nd from last game in order to crown the champions of the National League is just remarkable. I would much prefer to see Woking finish 2nd, then for Chesterfield, Barnet, Bromley and Boreham Wood to finish in the playoff spaces beneath. It’s been a nail-biter of a season.

• Like 5

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,368
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Southend United are the type of team that would find the playoffs to their benefit. They've not been the best team, but you can almost guarantee that if they reached the playoffs that it would give them that extra bit of motivation. I wouldn't want them to secure a spot, not unless they played Chesterfield. I do hope Woking finish 2nd, but the way these things are it probably doesn't matter. It's just the preference that makes it more comfortable for my head to process it. I try not to let my heart dictate what I write, but I wouldn't fear Eastleigh, Bromley, Boreham Wood or Barnet.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

i don’t really mind any of those teams, but ideally chesterfield would need to play twice. i would rather they have it harder. some fans will say they will benefit from playing more, but the playoffs are a lottery. notts are in fine form and just need to be mindful going into games and avoiding costly mistakes.

• Like 3

I'm most bothered about Chesterfield to be honest. I know we got four points off them, but we never really had either game under control and they could have easily gone the other way.

We'll be playing the winners of the eliminator between Barnet and either Bromley or Boreham Wood. I reckon it'll be Barnet as they'll have home advantage. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  378
  • Days Won:  1

If we do get to the Wembley Final...... Has anyone got any tips about how to get there by car but avoiding parking at the stadium....... Iam based in Grantham..... Thanks in anticipation.... Gtownjohnno 

• Love 1

• Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

The formation of the teams that end up in the playoffs will be interesting, but I’m not worried about any of them. I believe that training and preparing for all of the teams before the two legs begin will prove worthwhile. Once it’s announced who we will face, Luke Williams will do the necessary homework. The players just need to avoid becoming complacent and remain focused for the entire game.

• Like 4

Southend are on 66 points, a full 40 points behind us. Some seasons that's the gap between the champions and the first team to be relegated! Madness. But like everyone is saying, it doesn't count for a lot apart from the convenience of a home semi-final.

23 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

I believe that training and preparing for all of the teams before the two legs begin will prove worthwhile.

The semi-final is just one leg. That's definitely an advantage for us this season. Bromley in particular is a horrible place to visit.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

57 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

The semi-final is just one leg. That's definitely an advantage for us this season. Bromley in particular is a horrible place to visit.

My apologies for any previous confusion @DangerousSausage. To clarify, what I intended to convey is that the two games that precede Notts County's game are played across two legs. I did not mean to imply that Notts County's home game would have an away leg. I am aware that this is a single game and a benefit of placing higher in the league.

• Like 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

I’m happy to play against either Boreham Wood or Bromley. It would be great if Chesterfield falters, but I have a feeling it will be us facing them in the final.

• Love 2

• Content Count:  3,519
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I would like to see Barnet face Chesterfield because I believe they have a good chance of winning. It would be great if Woking could finish in 3rd place, but I’m not sure if they will. As for my team, I hope we get Boreham Wood. I think they would have a hard time playing against us at Meadow Lane. With the KOP and our vocal support, it can really boost our players while making it difficult for the opposition.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

We're going into this season's play-offs in very different way to the last two. We’ve never really challenged for the title in those previous seasons, and it was always more a feeling of hope rather than expectation that we could win them.

That’s not me saying I’m expecting us to win them (nothing's ever straight forward for us!) but I'm sure none of the other teams in the play-offs are looking forward to playing us. They’ve got to beat a team that’s amassed over 100 points this season if they want to go up.

I’ll back us to beat anyone at home, especially with a bumper home attendance. And it's confirmed now it'll either be Barnet or Boreham Wood. Wembley is different though; it’s a big occasion and the pressure of the occasion can get to you. If we get there, we’ve just got to treat it like any other game give our best shot and que sera sera…

When we finished third and Harrogate finished second, they beat us in the final and you can't say they didn't deserve it. Hoping for a similar scenario this year! (Second place team winning the final, not a repeat of us losing it!)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Very true @menzinho, but the other side of that coin is that no one will really be expecting them to beat us either, so it'll be like a free hit for them with the pressure all on us. Or maybe not. One of the many things I hate about the play-offs is the temptation to overthink everything :D

I also noticed that Chesterfield are in the other home semi-final. I fully expect them to polish off Woking or Bromley. Which leads me onto my next thought...

On 27/04/2023 at 19:53, allardyces tash said:

It would be great if Chesterfield falters, but I have a feeling it will be us facing them in the final.

They're the opponents I'd be most nervous about, but, in the depressing scenario that we falter, it would be good to at least have them out of the way for next season.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I'm more concerned about Boreham Wood than Barnet. They are a decent side and won't be intimidated by a packed Meadow Lane. We can't afford to take our eye off the ball. The lack of concentration at the back has to be cut out. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  507
  • Days Won:  1

While Boreham Wood may have had a relatively average performance throughout the season and have relied on luck at times, they have consistently shown that they are a force to be reckoned with during the playoffs. Despite this, I believe that we shouldn’t be overly concerned about facing them.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

Boreham Wood put the fear of God into Wrexham, it was like watching Michael Jackson’s Thriller or that time he dangled Blanket over a balcony. Not an actual blanket, but the baby named Blanket. Now known as Bigi “How Deep is Your Love” Jesus. Wrexham crumbled at first, but once they got their groove on, they had to be reined in or they’d bite harder than Nicolas Cage in Renfield. Just keep believing you’re Wembley-bound and use that home-field advantage, it might just be enough to sprinkle some magic on those Notts County players.

• Haha 6

• Content Count:  3,392

Even though the game wasn’t the most exciting, Boreham Wood earned their victory against Barnet with a final score of 2-1. At times the game was a bit rough around the edges, but Boreham Wood’s emphasis on offense ultimately proved successful.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dry Nelson Ray said:

Boreham Wood put the fear of God into Wrexham, it was like watching Michael Jackson’s Thriller or that time he dangled Blanket over a balcony. Not an actual blanket, but the baby named Blanket.

That isn't very reassuring 😂

It feels like sod's law to get the only team we didn't beat this season, but we'll just have to complete the set. So let's have none of this slackness in defence on Sunday - BW have the best defensive record in the league so we don't want to end up chasing the game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  11

I watched their game vs Barnet, and if we don't beat them on Sunday after that piss poor display then we deserve to stay in this league for quite a few seasons

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

i dont think we need to fear the home game, we just need to stay focused at the job at hand. boreham wood are a good team but nothing special.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

The Woking vs Bromley game was definitely a better match than the Barnet vs Boreham Wood game. Woking have been the standout team out of the four and they deserved to win this game. The penalty they gave away was a lucky break for Bromley, who have looked empty of goal. Woking played well and deserved the win.

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

It feels like sod's law to get the only team we didn't beat this season, but we'll just have to complete the set. So let's have none of this slackness in defence on Sunday - BW have the best defensive record in the league so we don't want to end up chasing the game. 

Well, that’s just peachy. Hey, we’re all about collecting trophies. And by trophies, I mean their tears. So do not screw up on Sunday and let them score on you like it’s prom night - you don’t want to play catch-up with them. Unless it’s ketchup. Then I’m in.

• Haha 3

• Content Count:  1,713
  • Days Won:  36

19 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

We haven't beaten Bromley either chap, so it' sod's law that in order to go up we may very well have to beat two sides that we have only managed to draw with so far this season. Both BW and Bromley are horrible sides to have to play with their time wasting and tactics and I hate the thought of possibly having to play both. Bromley are also unbeaten in 10 (since Wrexham) so Chesterfield will have to be at the top of their game also to win. 

• Like 2