Notts County’s Next Signings: What Position Should They Be?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,459
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts County is still waiting for Aaron Nemane’s decision on his contract. Connell Rawlinson, Sam Slocombe, Jim O’Brien, and Kyle Cameron have renewed their contracts. Ruben Rodrigues has moved on. Jodi Jones has signed permanently, along with Will Randall, David McGoldrick, and Dan Crowley.

The new arrivals add a lot of depth and seem to bring their own quality to the squad.

What positions do you think Notts County needs to strengthen? Are there any specific players you have in mind?

• Like 18

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

I would be content if just one defender joined the team. However, based on interviews, it seems that we may have a larger squad this season. Nonetheless, the addition of a versatile centre-back would make me happy.

• Like 12

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Wish list would be: CB, LWB. Possibly another DM/CM that could develop with time.

I personally don't feel we need a goalkeeper. I think Tiernan Brooks is good enough as backup and if we don't star giving him more game time then when do we? He's a good keeper, one who looks certainly capable of becoming our number 1 in the future.

Why bring in a keeper to make his game time potentially less? It seems a waste of time and money to me.

• Like 15

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I think we could do with some defensive improvements. If Aaron Nemane leaves, we need to fill that position again. I know we signed Will Randall and Jodi Jones, but I would like another. Defenders are the crucial area; I wouldn’t be against seeing two centre-backs come in to give Connell Rawlinson more competition for his place.

• Like 13

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  322
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @TheCalFoster

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Wish list would be: CB, LWB. Possibly another DM/CM that could develop with time.

I personally don't feel we need a goalkeeper. I think Tiernan Brooks is good enough as backup and if we don't star giving him more game time then when do we? He's a good keeper, one who looks certainly capable of becoming our number 1 in the future.

Why bring in a keeper to make his game time potentially less? It seems a waste of time and money to me.

I'm 50/50 on a new goalkeeper as I feel Brooks may head out on loan (if he doesn't more than happy to have him as back up). Having two experienced keepers battle it out for the number one spot would be a great thing & I believe the club said they would be looking to sign an experienced keeper alongside the two we have.. 

Agree with @Chris on LWB & DM/CM (maybe two we did lose Ed & Vinnie) a CB would be nice! 

Bigger bench this year so excited to see who we can bring in..

• Like 12

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I would like to see a bit more pace at the back.  Nemane showed how useful that is when he stopped that chance in the playoffs.  A Des Walker type or two with pace to spare would be good.

I think our midfield now give us options for subtly different approaches and our forwards look formidable.  It's hard to keep 3 goalkeepers happy.  If Brookes is going out on loan again, then another keeper is a must really, but otherwise I would be looking to Brookes to step up this season.

• Like 14

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

pace is needed in defence, i think we may have to replace aaron nemane. i think we could do with another proper left wing back.

if we do go to get a new wing back, i would hope we sign someone more defensive minded and able to cross the ball, maybe they wont be as good as adam chicksen going forward but it would be a plus if they were better than him defensively.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  0

I hope we haven’t forgotten about the signing of Junior Morias. He will want minutes and it’s good that we are building depth, but it reduces time for key players like Cedwyn Scott. Yet according to TransferMarkt.co.uk, he can play in Ruben’s position and on the right. I think we only need two defenders and not much else.

• Like 10

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Days Won:  15

I think there’s still room for a few more competitive places. I might be inclined to see the club bring in another keeper and this would depend on securing Tiernan Brooks a full season’s loan deal with a team that will stick with him at the highest possible level.

If Aarone Nemane signs, I think the right side is complete. I would say two CBs, one young to bring through as Connell Rawlinson reaches the end of his time at the club and an experienced player to fight for his place in the heart of the defence. A left-back/winger would be good. I think the midfield is perfectly fine at this stage.

• Like 10

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I'm on the fence about a new goalkeeper as well, but Slocombe seems to be expecting competition. Definitely another CB with a bit more height.

As for the wing backs, Randall tends to play on the left, so he'll probably be the more attacking alternative to Chicksen. On the right we've got Jones and Adebayo-Rowling, but I don't know what shape he'll be in after his injury. Jones could also play in the Rodders spot. In theory we're covered, but I'd be happier with an extra one, maybe a young loanee?

• Like 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I think a centre back and a left wing-back would complete the job. I do think there will be more signings, but I don’t want us to have a large squad just for the sake of it. We need to ensure we have cover and good depth, which I think we’re quite close to now.

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  5

I don’t want Notts to have a large squad either, just for the sake of it. 24/25 is around the right amount. Any further requirements can be fulfilled with youth players to cover. Maybe one more centre back?

• Like 9

• Content Count:  322
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @TheCalFoster

So now we've hit the positions on the head with a few popping up quite regularly, who (realistically) would you like to fill these positions? Bonus points for why they would fit that position & be a good fit as well..

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I think just defenders are needed; in goal, we should be fine. Trust Tiernan Brooks and if he gets the experience, in time he will prove his worth for the faith.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  231

My hopes are just on a single defender; I do feel there will be more but I personally would like to see a marquee signing at the back.

• Like 6

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,518
  • Days Won:  9

I think it’s apparent that a centre back is needed; a good defender with pace would fit in nicely with Aden Baldwin and Kyle Cameron. If the defender had height and took no nonsense, even better.

On 21/06/2023 at 19:17, DangerousSausage said:

As for the wing backs, Randall tends to play on the left, so he'll probably be the more attacking alternative to Chicksen. On the right we've got Jones and Adebayo-Rowling, but I don't know what shape he'll be in after his injury. Jones could also play in the Rodders spot. In theory we're covered, but I'd be happier with an extra one, maybe a young loanee?

Will Randall may be considered for the role; Tobi Adebayo-Rowling needs to have some luck and put in much better performances. A young left-sided wing-back/winger could be a good call; Forest may have one that suits well.

• Like 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

Luke Williams just needs one or two defenders: a centre-back and maybe a left wing-back. It all depends on how he sees things as I don’t know what his plans are for certain players, but I think at least one is needed now that we’ve signed a keeper.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  282

With the arrival of Aidan Stone, it seems that we only need to sign some defenders. I would be content with one strong centre-back who can add to the excitement of the earlier signings.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  905
  • Days Won:  3

I would like a younger, faster Connell Rawlinson. Someone who isn’t afraid to get hurt or defend by putting their body on the line.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  495

I’m still hoping we sign a left-back/wing-back, a centre defender and maybe a defensive midfielder. Someone aged 21-23 who can learn from John Bostock and Jim O’Brien.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  881

Will a defender arrive? It’s starting to look like we might be done with our recruitment. I do feel a centre-back is needed, as others have said.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  734
  • Days Won:  3

I’m hoping Luke Williams brings in a centre-back. If he can double up as a left wing-back, that would suit us. I know we have Richard Brindley, but he’s better out wide for me.