PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - Salop (A)

Team: Shrewsbury Town

Date: 29/07/2023

Where: New Meadow

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  17

Stick with the side that won at Alfreton on Tuesday night. Maybe now didzy off the mark he could get a few more. COYP

• Like 7

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think we should see one or two players make the full game, other than I expect things to be the same otherwise.

Shrewsbury will be a good test to see where we are, I am partly swaying towards a prediction of 2-2 or maybe 2-1 to Notts. It should be a good game. I hope our fellow Shrews supporters have a fantastic time watching Notts County. I think they will agree that we're a much better team than when we both last met. @shrewswill @friendlyshrew

• Like 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I’ve just looked at the league one table and they’re in the relegation zone with no points so Notts will have no problems. :rollonfloorlaughing:

Seriously it’ll be a tough game, a draw would be a good result in my opinion, I expect Williams to field a team pretty much the one he wants to start the season with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i hope we approach it more as if it was a cup game, without risking anyones fitness or injuries but in a way that would send a message that we are ready for the new season. it could be difficult, but having a go and seeing it pay off would be great going into sutton.

if we lose or play poorly, blame it on being a friendly. ;) 

• Like 6

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

It’s going to be the closest insight for us as to how we can compete in League Two; Shrewsbury is a decent team and won’t be that far from our standard. Yes, it’s still down to fitness and settling in, but if we can convincingly win this, then it could be the lift we need going into our season. It ends it off well, doesn’t it?

• Like 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

On 27/07/2023 at 17:52, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’ve just looked at the league one table and they’re in the relegation zone with no points so Notts will have no problems

They're unbeaten and level on points with first place though!

Just finished 1-1, sounds like we played well and dominated possession. A good dress rehearsal. Slightly concerned about the absence of Langstaff, maybe it'll be mentioned in the post-match interview. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• Content Count:  733
  • Days Won:  2

I don’t read too much into friendlies; a draw will suit both teams, and now the real work begins.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

a draw is not a bad thing, the first opening goal for us was good. nice volley into the net. we had some other good chances but did not take them. regarding langstaff, supposedly luke williams wanted to rest him ahead of sutton. i dont think its anything serious, probably a precaution as a means to avoid any set backs.

• Like 6

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

#Notts dominated the game, say 60/40 ... a good test but from a #Notts perspective a poor goal to concede, too busy watching rather than making a challenge to block. Brindley wasteful in possession. McGoldrick unlucky not to win it, dubious offside from my viewpoint.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

According to Luke Williams Langstaff and Randall had a fatigue injury whatever one of those is. :huh2:

Neither were serious.

• Haha 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

It sounds like it’s just an excuse not to play him. How would Macaulay Langstaff have an issue with fatigue? If it’s an injury, it’s exactly that, but combining the two is just funny. It sounded like Notts could have upped their game at times but didn’t.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

The draw doesn’t bother me, nor does the performance as such. I think both teams would probably agree that the draw was fair, considering the 90 minutes overall. I thought Notts looked sharp getting forward but could just do with taking a bit more time with the finishing. On to Sutton away, which I think will be a different story.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The game wasn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination. I think Notts worked the ball well and looked quite good on the ball. I wish Cedwyn Scott had a bit better service to him, but Shrewsbury defended well. They looked just as inconsistent as us in other areas, but I do think Notts looked the better team. A draw was a fair result in my opinion.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The outcome remains unchanged: I failed to tune in to the game (not sure if BBC Radio Nottingham covered it), but I did loosely stay updated through the club's Twitter updates. I firmly believe we will show our quality when it matters and improve overall as a squad.

Shrewsbury's fans have been paying a lot of respectful comments about our play.

I think Luke Williams is a bit tougher due to his expectations and, simply wants to see a response from them when we go into the League Two season again, Sutton United.

• Like 3

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

Both teams had spells where you could see that the friendly was against two good teams, I don’t think either squad lifted themselves to a level you would expect in a league and that for me is perfectly fine. Notts, in my opinion, should have won 2-1, but a draw is fair considering.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I think it’s a bit harsh to single out just Connell Rawlinson; we attack as a team and should defend as one too. I think the way we don’t cover is the bigger issue, but it’s a friendly. I don’t want to be harsh on Aidan Stone, but the Sam Slocombe haters might admit he probably would have saved it. It’s one of those shots that creeps in; we just need to protect the goal better as a group.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

On 29/07/2023 at 23:10, Joshua said:

It sounds like it’s just an excuse not to play him. How would Macaulay Langstaff have an issue with fatigue? If it’s an injury, it’s exactly that, but combining the two is just funny. It sounded like Notts could have upped their game at times but didn’t.

When you become fatigued you are more likely to get an injury, and things that you would normally ignored can develop into something worse.  My bet is that is what is happening here.  These guys are proper athletes, but I bet they have been beasted these last few weeks, so if there are signs that a bit of rest is in order, then I can imagine the backroom team will be right on it.  

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  36

I can see Rawlo mainly being used against more physical sides this season, he just isn’t mobile enough for a high line game and I’d fully expect Brindley to be playing on the right of a three until Tipton is up to speed. A back three of Cameron, Baldwin, Tipton would give me more confidence (although Cameron isn’t the quickest either) of not being caught out with the ball over the top.
Shrews fans were on the whole very complimentary about our side and play, they thought both offside goals were a little dubious, especially the second and were lucky to come out of the game with a draw. 
Looking forward to seeing the first starting XI of the season on Saturday as I am struggling to name one. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,454
  • Days Won:  5

On 29/07/2023 at 22:26, Fan of Big Tone said:

According to Luke Williams Langstaff and Randall had a fatigue injury whatever one of those is. :huh2:

Neither were serious.

I looked it up, supposedly it’s when a player has a slight knock on a muscle caused by playing, training a lot or both.

• Like 2