Notts fail in 2 bids for Drogheda defender

Piethagoram

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

40 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Looks ideal for #Notts

He does look like a good fit for Notts.I hope this doesn't develop into a bidding war.

• Like 10

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Those are some very promising stats and he's obviously playing well right now but I don't know enough about the quality of the League of Ireland to know how impressive they truly are though. We had a striker, Andre Wright, on trial a few seasons ago after he did well in that league but he didn't do enough to earn himself a contract I seem to remember Vit Jaros getting rave reviews from St Patricks fans and he was just decent, nothing particularly special.

Some fans seem to think a big CB like this will answer all our problems, he'd certainly aid us in defending balls into our box but he's got to be better than just your head it/kick it style CB. We ask a lot of our defenders on the ball and he'll spend more time out the box then in it so he'll need to have a decent turn of pace otherwise, given his seemingly good areal ability, he'll be exploited in that way.

In terms of the transfer happening, given he's out of contract in a few months and there's only 8 games of their season left, I'm really surprised they've turned our bids down. They must be confident they can get him to renew at the end of the season.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

You would have to be happy with this if it were a signing we could make. At some point, they will either say what they want, the player will say he wants to go, or they will lose him when his contract expires. The issue is, now that it is known Notts are interested, will this put other clubs on his radar? Hopefully, he wants to come and an agreement can be reached. I suspect they are holding out for a little more money.

• Like 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

At 25 years of age, with the right height and a good amount of positive attributes, he could be a valuable signing for Notts if they have the ability to make it happen.

• Like 10

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

He looks ideal. People should consider that the level of the Irish leagues is a mixture of League One/Two and the National League, with some good players capable of playing higher. This takes nothing away from his prospect or overall ability. I think he would be a good signing.

• Like 9

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

How many offers can Notts put in before the answer always seems to be no? If we go back in with a third offer, it might be time to call it a day unless something significantly changes.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  374
  • Days Won:  0

This would be the icing on the cake in terms of our recruitment this season. He looks like a very capable player that should do well in a side like ours.

• Like 7

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

If we can make a deal another time or even loan deal... He does look good in terms of stats.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

But does he have any pace?

I reckon that ship has now sailed. We made two bids for him, both turned down, so we have probably said OK we will leave it. Drogheda have now put it out there in the hope that someone else comes in for him before he gets a free for January.

Don’t the owners of Walsall also own Drogheda? Would have thought they would get first option on him if available.

• Like 6

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
42 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Don’t the owners of Walsall also own Drogheda? Would have thought they would get first option on him if available.

Yes I think it’s more likely he’ll end up at Walsall.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

If his contract is up at the end of the season, it gives Notts a good hand to negotiate with.

Walsall aren't exactly a team on the up or as forward-thinking as they were when Notts last played in League Two. Their time in League One has seemed to see them go rapidly backwards, to a point where they are just very poor and average. They can be a good team on their day, yet typically mediocre.

I see no improvements with signing Conor Keeley for Walsall, nor do I think it would be a wise move for his career.

Right now, Notts has this ora. That appeals to players because they can see how well things are. Not just on the pitch, but behind the scenes. If he doesn't agree to new terms, I can see him joining us or another club higher up. He seems a very good potential signing, so I hope Notts keeps trying. Persistence is the key, provided room is being made.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I have never heard of the player, but he looks like a good candidate. Notts may be inquiring about other players. We don’t know until news is broken or someone signs. I wouldn’t pin all my hopes on just one player, no matter how good they were.

• Like 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Pace isn’t that important if he can read the game and has enough to make sure he doesn’t get turned inside out. Mike Edwards never had any, but he was still a very good defender. He was also a good header of the ball and would do very well in this Notts squad.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Drogheda are in a relegation battle and are an average side at best. Conor Keeley is their best defender and has potential. He won't be at Drogheda next season but they will want to keep him for the rest of the season. If he leaves, Drogheda are in big trouble. 

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

2 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

Drogheda are in a relegation battle and are an average side at best. Conor Keeley is their best defender and has potential. He won't be at Drogheda next season but they will want to keep him for the rest of the season. If he leaves, Drogheda are in big trouble. 

This was my original thinking as to why the bids were turned down. His value to the side is probably of more value than a transfer fee. 
I did ask the question on Twitter if he has any pace and the reply I’ve had is that he isn’t very quick, more of a solid defensive unit. I’m not sure exactly how that fits our style of play as we need a tall, solid, but mobile CB.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

but if the money that comes in for him, could be used by the club to play some additional players wages, split into two signings or even one marquee signing their struggles could be narrowed down.

i would guess notts are offering between 20-40k for his services.

that could be used to strengthen their side, rather than losing a player for free. its a very notts approach to business. with wootton and rodrigues leaving on frees, despite clubs have been interested and speculated to have had offers made for them during a season.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

He'd be a fantastic signing.  I've been aware of him since he was at Ballymena.  He's obviously a big strong centre half but very comfortable on the ball and a huge threat going forward too.  Also capable of goals like this..

• Like 1
  • Love 2