A Statement From The Notts County Board of Directors.

Robbie

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Dan & Jodi are staying.

Those two staying are as good as two massive transfer incomings. 

Fantastic news to end the day. 

• Like 18

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It sounds very much like a PR statement to try to defuse any potential disappointment.

"always making responsible decisions with the long-term financial sustainability of the club in mind."

I didn't expect us to throw money at the transfer window, reading between the lines it sounds like the club has actively tried to bring in players but have fallen into the market of signing loan players towards the end of the transfer window. There's nothing wrong with that. I am sure that the recruitment process looked at the options, and we might not have got all the players we aimed for, but that's football.

"We’re confident that we’ve achieved those objectives this summer and have every belief that, while League Two is shaping up to be an extremely strong division once again, the squad we’ve assembled is capable of competing for promotion."

I feel confident, there's always January to review what we have budget wise and what players could possibly make movements coming in. The positives are that we have rejected bids, those could have seen reinvestments in the players, but I don't think we would easily find that type of quality. Dan Crowley and Jodi Jones are vital to the team's dynamics. It's a welcomed statement but quite basic; I am sure I would have expected one. As I say, I think it's to keep morale up and avoid negative landmines from going off.

• Like 3
  • Love 17

Supporter+

@Chris

It's good news that Jodi and Dan are staying at least until January.

I hope that Notts offer them new improved contracts, with possibly of a get out clause if big offers come in that Notts can't refuse in January.

But until then it's now up to the squad to perform & ensure no player leaves, because if the team is near to the top of the league come January, hopefully no one will want to leave.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It’s great news Dan and Jodi are staying, things could have been very negative if one or both had gone, as it is it’s a decent window for Notts although I’m sorry we didn’t sign Will Swann from Mansfield, I see he’s been snapped up by Crawley, I think he’d have been a good signing.

• Like 16

Supporter+

@Fan of Big Tone agree, pity about Will Swan. 

But I think the thirteen Notts have brought in are good enough to help them challenge for silverware this season.

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

Like you say that's football, you're never going to get your number 1 targets all the time but I think we clearly prioritised the defence hence the early signings of the likes of Bedeau, Platt, Bass, Tsaroulla and McDonald (looking forward to seeing him in action when he reappears!)

By the end of window most of the better players out of contract have already moved so it's a case of weighing up the next best options and that will then sometimes involve a fee. The Bros are very sensible in that they won't overpay for a player and at the same time they won't just sell off our best players because a bid has been made. Keeping Crowley and Jones was just as important as bring in players too.

I think Notts have done pretty well over the summer and I'm confident we've got a stronger squad than last season.

• Like 6
  • Love 13

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  278
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think there's a need for such a statement. Some of our fans have been known to demand immediate answers, which can lead to responses. While this statement might discourage such behaviour, it's unnecessary. I'm sure the board and club worked diligently to secure players. The process is not as straightforward as some fans may believe.

• Like 15

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

It's a good statement. I agree that some fans might complain, and I don't think that would change for Notts. You have to manage your expectations. Not long ago, it seemed like we wouldn't sign anyone. We made two deadline day deals, one of which was an ideal loan signing. We can't complain about the defence, which has been improved during the preseason and transfer window.

• Like 4
  • Love 14

• Content Count:  868

I agree. I wouldn't have expected a statement from the board about transfer activity, and I believe it's intended to please fans. I appreciate the update, as it reminds people that we are trying to be sustainable and operate within our means. This alone suggests that some of the targets were simply not financially feasible, which is understandable.

• Like 15

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  616

I don't think you can just spend money and expect to get promoted. Look at MK Dons. They have a strong team, but they're struggling because the players they signed aren't settling in well. It will take time. Any fans who think Notts can just sign anyone are wrong. We have a good squad, and we can strengthen it in January if we need to.

• Like 13

Supporter+

A Head Coach, assisted by his recruitment team can buy players in that might look good on paper, but the question always is, no matter what team, can the Head Coach get the players to gel together & mould them into a successful team?

I think that Stuart Maynard can. I hope I'm right, but the early signs look good.

• Like 8

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 30/08/2024 at 23:30, Robbie said:

@Chris

It's good news that Jodi and Dan are staying at least until January.

I hope that Notts offer them new improved contracts, with possibly of a get out clause if big offers come in that Notts can't refuse in January.

But until then it's now up to the squad to perform & ensure no player leaves, because if the team is near to the top of the league come January, hopefully no one will want to leave.

TBH, an update on contract talks would have easily outweighed any disappointment from the transfer window deadline day.

I think Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley will be waiting to see how things progress, but if Notts are approaching talks with them, then we need to sell how they are performing and give them reassurances that we are pushing for promotion. Players naturally want to be a part of ambitious clubs, it's all well-being linked to the likes of MK Dons, but there's no guarantee when making a move like that.

Come Christmas, ideally that will be when Notts tries to get them both secured with a contract extension.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

The club just wants to reassure fans, so I give them credit for posting the statement. I think the club can sometimes be pressured into making these kinds of comments. They should only make them when they're necessary. The board has explained and clarified things. They've talked about believing in the squad, and now it's up to us to support the players and head coach.

• Like 4
  • Love 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

It's good to see the board make a statement about the transfer window. They did this without fans expecting it, which shows a clear communication between them and the supporters. I appreciate the effort they put into recruiting the squad we have.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,742
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I would not be surprised if the Board are trying to extend Dan's and Jodi's contracts, like they did with Ruben. The players "hold the cards". The trade off is to achieve promotion if it is to be at the price of losing them for free, like indeed with Ruben's scenario

• Like 12
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

usually its the agent(s) who make things difficult because they obviously make more money by the players joining a new club. sometimes they can get good money from renewals but the more a player earns, the more an agent can request for their services. its the players decision, but some agents can be very negative. i dont know who represents jodi jones or dan crowley, i trust them to make a sensible decision once they feel comfortable knowing where notts are heading.

i agree with @Piethagoram, the club is probably keeping an open dialogue with them regarding contract extensions.

as for the statement, i appreciate it but i am not worried. i like the transparency that comes with the club informing us, even if it is written as a pr statement in case people complain.

• Like 11
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  493

The board can only try to bring in players. Free agents are hard to sign when you have a strong squad, as everyone wants to play. When fees are involved, it always becomes a struggle to bring in players closer to the deadline. From this, I gather that the club will only sell for the right price and sign players who fit our budget. If we had signed five players who wouldn't play, people would still complain.

• Like 9

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

On 02/09/2024 at 07:09, Piethagoram said:

I would not be surprised if the Board are trying to extend Dan's and Jodi's contracts, like they did with Ruben. The players "hold the cards". The trade off is to achieve promotion if it is to be at the price of losing them for free, like indeed with Ruben's scenario

I agree, I'll be seriously impressed if we manage to re-sign both of them midway through this season. I'm sure we'll try but I can't see it happing personally, I think they'll want to see what other offers they could get. Assuming they have another good season they'll pretty much have the pick of any League 1 club... I think we'll need to be in League 1 too if we want them both to stick around.

• Like 4
  • Love 8

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

There’s a rumour that Mansfield made a deadline day offer of £400,000 for Crowley, not sure how true it is but it wouldn’t surprise me.

If we are going for promotion in January I think we may well tempt them to stay with the right contract offer, otherwise we’ll probably lose one or more likely both.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,502
  • Days Won:  9

That's a good point. I agree that the club is simply informing us of their efforts, and I don't take that for granted. The club is making progress, and I'm sure that if the board thinks it's necessary, they will consider bringing in new players during the next transfer window.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

It's best to share the statement before any unrest, so I commend the club for thinking ahead and potentially preventing disappointment.

• Love 10

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

I was thinking the same thing. It's better to address any potential negativity proactively. While the club shouldn't always do this, we've started the season quite well, so I believe addressing this issue is beneficial. The board's statement provides insight into their thoughts, and most fans will appreciate it.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I think the board just wanted to reassure fans that they had tried everything in their power to retain players, I am not so sure that the club would have looked to bring in many more faces than they ended up doing. It's likely that Jevani Brown was a last minute target, but prior to his incident Portsmouth were pursuing his signature. So, I wouldn't class it as a negative decision to look to bring someone of that quality in, but I do believe he was behind other targets.

• Love 7

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The club might be talking to the players about contract extensions. Good players will always be wanted by other clubs, so it's good that Notts County fought off bids. Even if Notts accepted a bid, there's no guarantee that either the player or the club would want to move. As for Mansfield Town, why would Dan Crowley want to join them? Being in League One isn't a good enough reason. They'll soon hit their limit and struggle to be higher than mid-table.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

Notts County did the right thing. The team should not get too excited or upset about things on social media that are not important.

• Like 4