Remember Remember the 5th November

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

So who's celebrating Guy Fawkes night tonight? Are you having your own display or going to an organised one?

We are going to our grandson George's school on Friday for their display.

Our cat will spend the next few nights behind the settee no doubt, he hates this time of year. I often wonder how it affects wildlife too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not going to think about the environment, I worry about what the media bang on about as it is but I do think "fires" are the most dangerous aspect rather than the fireworks people often say should be banned.

Around here people usually have fires very frequently, myself and @cheeky~k8 purchased an incinerator (as we are quite wary). This was back when we first moved in and the nearby fire brigade came out, told us we would fined if we had another fire (we only had two - on different weekends and at suitable times) they used their special equipment to put the fire out and sprayed all of our back garden with some stupid chemical which stunk out the area for several days and prevented our children from using the background.

For this reason we never have fires or own fire work display. It was quite distressing for Jake and Ellie who was young, seeing this and we just end up going to my parents.

@super_ram and @GrannyPie have a lovely long, private garden which huge hedges cover the bottom surrounding, very ideal. We're looking forward to it, as we don't really get over these days as much as we would like but we did spend several hours on halloween and whenever holidays come about we generally take that time.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Well the bonfire is prepared.The guy is almost ready-an old pair of jeans and old coat stuffed with rubbish.The head is made from a carrier bag and Harry (William and Vicky's son) has drawn a face which I'm going to stick on.I'll soon be going out to stuff paper etc in the bonfire to help get it going when I light it.Unfortunately granny and William aren't feeling to good at the moment with upset stomachs but I'm sure all the grandkids will enjoy tonight.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

How many children today know who Guy Fawkes was? 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

How many children today know who Guy Fawkes was? 

They always teach it in school.

Jake's known about him for a few years now, possibly ever since he could talk. Last month he came back telling me all about him, I was amused to see some of the facts being taught wrong by his teacher. I don't know if it was to "engage" the youngsters in the story/history but I hate when youngsters come home believing everything a teacher says.

I think a fair few will know who he is but obviously not the same amount as there once was.

To be honest, I'm surprised it's not cut out because of being "scary" or other weird aspects.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

It is a regular for most age groups to be fair. My cynical side will give you the honest reason. It's a good reason to get away from the normal curriculum for a few days a and its an easier set of sessions with no major planning.

"Let's get the pastels out and draw on this black paper hour firework display. Let's listen to the GF story and then write your recount of it or a diary entry...etc..."

Should be..."hands up if anyone can tell me of anyone else who has tried to enter parliament and stuck to what they said they would do, regardless of success or failure."

Answers on a postcard to Downing Street, London.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

do not care, dont bother, nothing special.

hope those who celebrate it here have a nice time, esp @notts-joe, @GrannyPie and @super_ram. :)

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

I'm off to a free display at the University of Birmingham tomorrow. I have to say I quite enjoying watching people watching the fireworks, seeing their faces light up in loads of different colours when each firework goes off and seeing their joy and amazement.  That isn't too weird is it? :rofl:

Here are some of the pictures I took there last year if anyone is interested:

10775850956_1704a2d385_o.jpg

10776084693_840467f773_o.jpg

1401924_10153451341205612_94187898_o.jpg

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  686
  • Days Won:  0

Fireworks have been going off from the moment it went dark, I see no point starting early.

Happy bonfire night everyone, enjoy it however you spend it and liam go find somewhere to watch them.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Very enjoyable having all the grandkids here,all excited but I wouldn't bother  otherwise.It did give me chance to burn a lot of rubbish though.I suppose they'll be countiing  down to Christmas now. :rolleyes:

Supporter+

Glad you all had a good time @super_ram and I hope @GrannyPie is feeling better.

Tell her to lay off the mushy peas for a while.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Very enjoyable having all the grandkids here,all excited but I wouldn't bother  otherwise.It did give me chance to burn a lot of rubbish though.I suppose they'll be countiing  down to Christmas now. :rolleyes:

I have a mate who continually counts down to Christmas at random times in the year. Think he only does it for the reaction, he gets one though!

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I had the chance to watch over 20 fireworks displays last night driving down the M6. Some lovely roman candles, but better the big rockets.

I did also here on the radio, that bonfire night was around before old Guido, apparently fires were lit normally around the beginning of November, it being used to mark the end of the harvest, also used when livestock were brought from the higher land into the safety of settlements. The fires were originally used to burn the bones of the animals slaughtered for the winter meat, the only livestock kept were those mated for the next batch.

Bonfires around this time were also part of the Pagan Halloween/all saints day ritual, but since the ever Americanised Halloween landed on our shores, the ghostly part became a nice little money earner, and the bonfires were consigned to the fixed date in honour of the honourable Guy Fawkes.

Funnily enough we also used to live just up the road from Coughton Court in Warwickshire, where wives of the plotters hid out, with several influential priests, waiting for news of success or as it happened failure. Another fact regarding this is that Walter Raleigh was also involved in the Main plot to rid our land of James I.

A sign of the times, I guess, but of course commercially it wouldn't suit the powers that be to teach the young uns this, now would it.

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

A foreign terrorist planting bombs to kill indiscriminately in the name of religion,  

Oh how the world has changed since Guido Fawkes. 

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Fancy trying to force a regime change, shocking, should never be allowed

• Content Count:  2,743

Glad you all had a good time @super_ram and I hope @GrannyPie is feeling better.

Tell her to lay off the mushy peas for a while.

Thanks @tonyhateley,I'm feeling a little bit better,I think it's just some sort of 'bug',several other close family members  are feeling a bit under the weather..No mushy peas or baked beans for a while.I hope Mrs H ok after her meal the other day.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

We might go up our local on Saturday night, stand on pavement watch the fireworks, take our own beer cos it gets so busy, but then again might not. Lol.

• Content Count:  904

Just a quiet display for lambleypie, usually a few locals get together and have a display but this year i did not attend it.

Supporter+

I hope Mrs H ok after her meal the other day.

Ah, the case of the red hot chilli pepper (that's a pop group isn't it?

Yes thanks, no after effects thankfully, we eat quite a bit of spicy food so we should be used to it but the particular chilli Mrs. H. bit into was rather fierce.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Looking forward to going to Papplewick tomorrow night.

• Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

As Notts-joe said... We went to super rams house to watch their display of fireworks. Ava seemed to prefer the rockets out of everything. There has been alot of fireworks going off for just over a week now.

Archived