What do you look for when buying a new phone?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm curious how PON members approach buying a new phone, now this can include a contract (as you do pay for the handset technically via your monthly fees).

Do you look for a bargain? Prefer specs? Does it have to be stylish or a big name?

Does the colour, size or OS play a part in your decision? I know some IOS users are now moving over to Android due to the way Apple only moderately change specs and have also fallen behind in the innovation department. Others feel like Android is becoming more like IOS, rather than adding their own new features.

Let me know below...

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

First and foremost its about the reliability and user experience for me.

At my age I don't care about all the fancy new things they add, none of this IR blaster stuff or other sensors. I just rely on making calls and moderate internet use, so most phones would fall into this category but I never over spend. A mobile is never worth more than a computer, so I say below that and look for the best I can find within the £200-300 price range. 

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,813
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Battery life first, camera pixels second..... bought over net, negotiated data package at £2 a month.. Sony XA1 phone purchased on 24 month plan

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Well because of what I do it has to have: a good camera (front and back). That's about it. Also has to have decent battery life. 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

You nicked my thread for tomorrow! Great minds and all that!

I would always, always buy Android, probably Samsung as well. I use an iPad and that’s fine, but have looked at mates older iPhones and wasn’t impressed at all.

I normally go two years contract and it is timed for the even number of the galaxy. The odds seem to be a little after thought, but the evens always make big strides.

Looks and reliability for me. I know Samsung Galaxy inside out so probably won’t change.

To,give a fair balance I will look at the IPhone X as an alternative to see how it weighs up, but will sink for Sam in the end! 

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Not bothered about the name, specs more than anything but tbh I am that fed up with all the bloatware that comes with any phone and or operating system that I'm seriously considering getting rid of a mobile all together.

I know you can install apps to stop the bloatware etc etc but you shouldn't have to add more to stop it functioning.

With regards to operating system I get frustrated with android only being able to be saved to your internal memory and apple take away freedom of apps to use and over complicate everything possible.

As for manufacturer I personally like Huawei over everything else

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

I stick with iphone cause that’s all I can use 😂😂 so that’s how I decide 😂😂

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

i think specs are important for me but the brand not so much, good brands can make poor phones so i read tones of reviews and way up the features of the phone. i never spend over £200 because i dont think its worth it.

not when they can go faulty after 3 or so years.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  284
  • Days Won:  0

Majority of phones even cheap ones now have good specs, I choose based on improving my last mobile. So, specs are important but the camera is the main thing and the amount of ram.

• Content Count:  908
  • Days Won:  3

Good for the price, I don't spend a lot on one but as long as it calls I don't need anything else.

• Content Count:  235
  • Days Won:  0

Brand is important especially one with the reputation of excellent products, this don't mean you have to shell over the odds for a fancy flagship device. I tend to stay in the price range where I feel comfortable, sometimes I even by second hand which can be a good way to get a bargain as some people only a phone for a year before they move on.

Specs and quality for me, they're very important.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Benchmarks are a good insight to a phones performance.

I usually compare these and then go through a list of phones I can afford and dwindle them down based on specs, I won't purchase a phone I never heard of though. I tend to stick with the bigger names also.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

I'm guilty of buying a phone by the brand name but I do this because most cases the phones are solid builds.

Plus the better ones are feature rich and I don't think I've owned a smartphone that wasn't made by Samsung, so I just to upgrade the specs slightly.

Archived