ex managers

liampie

i have read that martin allen is supposedly now interested in coming back, i just wondered if anyone would welcome an ex manager? i know some on social media are asking for charlie mcparland to be given a chance also.

plus kevin nolan is linked which seems to be a no for many of the pon community.

• Chris featured this topic

I wouldn't want anyone, I hugely admired the antics of Martin Allen and he's very much the king of returning.

I know he once told me after we played his team the first time that he wouldn't return, however I am certain that has all changed now and people can read this - then claim he never said this to me but it's 100% the truth. The conversation was witnessed by some fans I was travelling with and he told some of them more than what i asked, yet I still wouldn't go back to him.

We need someone new, fresh ideas and experience of knowing how to build a good League Two team.

I’d have Martin Allen back in a flash, but on a short term deal. He’s at his best getting in amongst it at the wrong end of a table. It goes pear shaped for him after he’s done that. He came close to keeping Chesterfield up, but as usual, it’s going now. Get him in, keep us up, get a long term replacement then. 

Really expect someone different though. Hurst I’d expect.

I don't think there's any ex manager that I feel would do a good job that would come back, we have had some rubbish over the years and all due respect to Mad Dog and Kevin Nolan but they have had their chance.

Time to move on and find someone who can do the job.

The thing about a previous manager coming back is their established connects with having worked with the club before, I am not against but I would prefer someone new. I do feel a clean slate is required to move forward.

I just think the right manager is whoever can help us finish as high as possible whilst keeping away from the bottom two places.

Sam Allardyce or Neil Warnock could do a job for us!

Seriously though, no. There are very few managers I'd want back anyway. A couple of years ago I might have said Russell Slade, but his time as Notts manager was so long ago and he's picked up so much experience since then he'd have been like a new appointment. His star has been on the wane recently though.

Can see the logic behind Martin Allen, but no. It's time to look to the future.

2 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Sam Allardyce or Neil Warnock could do a job for us!

Seriously though, no. There are very few managers I'd want back anyway. A couple of years ago I might have said Russell Slade, but his time as Notts manager was so long ago and he's picked up so much experience since then he'd have been like a new appointment. His star has been on the wane recently though.

Can see the logic behind Martin Allen, but no. It's time to look to the future.

Russell Slade could have done a job.

It depends if he stays interested and focused, a good manager on his day but he's one of those that lasts only a few seasons before they get the chop. Still it's a risk worth taking, thankfully Neil Ardley seems a better long term solution to build a team around.

I thought Alan Hardy may have gone down the route of looking for a manager that would please the fans, an easy to do this would have been to appoint a former manager or ex player.

I am glad Shaun Derry, Martin Allen and Kevin Nolan didn't land the job.

• Chris unfeatured this topic

Archived