PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,268
  • Days Won:  80

Play Off Final - The Spireites

Team: Chesterfield

Date: 13/05/2023

Where: Wembley Stadium

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't usually feel nervous, but I do, and I just want to take in the experience. I feel confident but as I have previously said, it always seemed destined for us to end up facing Chesterfield in the final. I think natural fans will say, it's only right for us and Chesterfield to be in the final.

This is something I would have preferred not to happen, yet here we are, and I think the players need to avoid thinking about the occasion as such.

They need to focus on the game as if it were normal, allow the preparation to be focused as if it was a normal league game. I hope Luke Williams addresses the defensive errors after reviewing the footage and implements training drills to minimise their occurrence in the playoff final.

I anticipate Chesterfield will raise their game, and it's imperative that we thoroughly review our past encounters in order to fully grasp their tactics and anticipate their default strategies. It's important for every player to be mindful of their counterpart on the opposing team. Additionally, our defence needs to be fully aware of the primary threats and stay prepared to counter any momentum gained by the other team.

Keeping the ball would be of a huge benefit, fans need to allow the players to have time to get comfortable with the pitch and their passing. We shouldn't urge them to rush, as this may lead to potential inaccuracies with our passing. Williams will be giving the players their instructions, so I have full confidence that we'll execute a game plan that enables us to move the ball fluidly, gain an early advantage, and set the tempo of the match.

We will have chances, as Notts are a very good side, but we need to avoid giving the ball away cheaply or even underestimating Chesterfield.

The Notts players will thrive on any potential slip or growth in their own confidence, allowing them to play and attack in a more determined way. I don't want us to rush, lose focus and end up making the game harder on ourselves. Midfield is key to retaining control of the game by moving the ball around well.

All the players will have a key role in the game, however, we need to see players like Ruben Rodrigues at their best.

• Like 11

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i am nervous too, but i am glad that i will be going with @CliftonMagpie and @TheSkipper.

it should be a good game between two teams that desperately want promotion and although i do hope we avoid the same issues as we have seen against boreham wood. i think we will have moments naturally where it will come down to a quick recovery or needing sam slocombe to be an hero. every player, including chesterfields team will be excited about playing at wembley. i don't think either team will go straight for the kill, i can see it being quite slow.

as @Chris we need to be 100% passionate and just wait for the players to get their grove. shouting nonsense at the players is not going to help and i hope those types stay at home.

beleve and we should do well. langstaff to get a brace, ruben to get one and austin to round things off. my prediction being 4-2 to notts.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  1

A little bit of topic.... But i have 2 seats available for the game... Travelling down the A1 from Grantham.... 

• Content Count:  731
  • Days Won:  3

Typically, when I feel nervous, it’s not a positive experience. I’m concerned that Chesterfield will have more desire and consequently perform better as a team. I hope I’m mistaken, but I worry that Notts won’t handle the situation as well and Chesterfield isn’t Boreham Wood. Although they’ve given us victories in the past after taking the lead, this is much different from a league match.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  868

Regardless of the outcome, this season has been a fantastic journey and one that I’m confident we can build upon. I believe both teams will be determined to win, which could potentially hinder the quality of the game. However, I hope that one team will take control and open up the game, making it more thrilling to watch. I have no objections to Notts passing the ball back as long as they create good scoring opportunities.

It’s important to remember that during the first 20 minutes, both teams will be sizing each other up. After that, the game truly begins. My hope is that Notts will go into halftime with a lead. Unlike Wrexham, I believe this would calm the game down since it’s being played at Wembley and force Chesterfield to be more aggressive in their play. This should result in a more end-to-end match.

• Like 9

• Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I hope that Notts possesses the strength and determination to surpass their previous achievements and emerge victorious. It would certainly be easier on the nerves if we didn’t concede any goals.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

Losing to a rival like Chesterfield would be disappointing, especially after all the questionable actions they took during the COVID pandemic. I want our players to be a powerful force on the field, working together and seizing any opportunities that arise. On paper and in terms of statistics, we have the stronger squad, but our work rate and focus on the day must match our potential.

• Like 7

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,503
  • Days Won:  9

Notts County has demonstrated a strong performance throughout the season and if they are able to maintain their focus and composure during the match on Saturday, they stand a good chance of emerging victorious. On the other hand, Chesterfield has had its ups and downs but has shown significant improvement towards the end of the season. Finishing in 3rd place in the league is certainly a commendable achievement for them.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  455
  • Days Won:  2

The outcome of the game is difficult to predict as it could go either way. However, Notts County has shown great potential throughout the season and if they play to their strengths, they should be able to come out on top and achieve the result that all the Magpies’ fans are eagerly anticipating.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,339

Every player on the pitch needs to bring their A-game for this match. Average or standard performances simply won’t suffice. All the players need to be at their very best and if they can dominate the game, that would be ideal. However, realistically speaking, achieving such a feat is going to be challenging.

Personally, I believe that Notts County has what it takes to come out on top in this match. It would be particularly satisfying to see Macaulay Langstaff fire Notts to promotion with a stellar performance on the pitch.

• Like 7

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The issue with playing Chesterfield is that both teams know exactly how the other plays. Any changes to throw a surprise could make the game’s pace naturally slower. Tactically, I would focus on the high line and make sure that players are instructed to cover when needed.

If the middle three at the back do what we saw against Wrexham and in the first half of Boreham Wood, then we would be inviting trouble. Defensively, we still have an issue coping with set pieces, but Sam Slocombe looked better at catching the ball in the air and Aden Baldwin is decent at heading the ball away.

Avoiding Chesterfield crowding our box and leading to panic is important as they are rehearsed in this tactic. I think it will be a classic final with a fair few goals or at least I hope so. I would hope that it doesn’t end with a simple narrow 1-0 win but if it was in our favour, of course I would pretend I never said this.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I think Luke Williams may need to consider giving more players defensive instructions to counter any long balls or threats. I would like to see Kyle Cameron focus less on attacking and more on being solid at the back. He has been losing the ball too much for my liking.

It’s important that he doesn’t get the urge to run with the ball, as it’s been a while since he has put it to any effective use. He usually just gives the ball away softly. Don’t get me wrong, I like the Skipper, but I think he has created his own problems.

We can’t afford to make any silly mistakes against Chesterfield.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

I don’t think Chesterfield will be too concerned about our previous encounters, just as I believe we wouldn’t be. It’s more on them to want to correct those previous defeats, but at the same time, complacency can become a worrying thing. I am hoping for the best.

If any of their players decide to dive like they did last time, the official needs to quickly put a stop to it. It’s important that the game is played fairly and that any unsportsmanlike behavior is dealt with promptly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

We shouldn't worry about the opposition too much, yes they're tricky opposition and gave us two tough games, but they should be more worried about us. We just need to impose our game on them and not mess about at the back.

Any other analysis is probably pointless, at a Wembley final previous form is out of the window and it becomes a question of nerves. I wonder if it'll be significant that we still have four players who experienced the last one three years ago? 

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

Football Yes GIF by Notts County FC

GET IN!

What a game, what a way to win. Amazing achievement from everyone at the club!

WE ARE GOING UP!

• Like 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

What a day. I'm shattered physically and emotionally but I'm happy. To witness that game in person will stay with me forever. I also got a photo with my favourite director, Shane Meadows, Shane was as excited as I was! He was happy to come and say hello and chat for a few minutes. 

20230513_182701.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

I wonder how Luke Williams can resolve the nerves in defence because it hinders the ability to go forward. The deep line becomes a nightmare when teams rush out and put more energy into their play. Chesterfield came out wanting it more and played like they had a point to make.

The referee made some questionable decisions, but I think he got the penalty decision correct. Unfortunately for Sam Slocombe, he caused two issues at the very start. He looked nervous and if he remains at the club, this defensive issue needs to be worked on. Good teams will find it easy to exploit this weakness, as Wrexham, Boreham Wood and Chesterfield all did.

I thought Aaron Nemane was class, but other players like Adam Chicksen and Sam Austin were average. They didn’t contribute much to the game and I think Luke Williams made the right call by bringing Jodi Jones on quicker than normal because he helped change the outcome. Ruben Rodrigues wasn’t very bright but scored well. Macaulay Langstaff had chances but we didn’t bring him into the game. Cedwyn Scott helped in this regard.

People praise John Bostock who was solid going forward but clumsy in key areas defensively. His goal was a redeeming stunner and I won’t dwell too much on the penalty.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

It wasn't the greatest of performances, but we did it. A number of players out there seemed (mentally) exhausted, but they dragged us through and earned their luck through sheer willpower. In the first half in particular, Chesterfield were brighter, more dangerous and handled the occasion better. But from the second half onwards they posed very little threat, it was defence against attack. Lady Luck smiled on us with the goals, but these things sometimes fall in your favour if you have a go.

What an insane and nail-biting way to win promotion! 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  11

Who cares wether we played well or not. We didn't but got the job done.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  731
  • Days Won:  3

Chesterfield did well, I thought they approached the start exactly how a team should. It's lucky for us that they grew tired after chasing the game but Notts did well to get back into the game twice. The penalties were something I didn't want to watch with my own eyes, very stressful trip to Wembley but worth the outcome.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts always perform better once they gain confidence. Arron Nemane was exceptional and in the second half, we controlled the game well. At times, it was unfortunate that some of our plays didn't receive the rewards they deserved.

Those who say that Notts didn't play well are missing the point. The players performed well, perhaps not as well as Chesterfield overall, but they dominated in spells. It's frustrating that many fans don't understand why Notts passes back. It's clear that it opens up play and defenders find it difficult to deal with. The faster the passing, the sooner someone gets into a position to score. Changing this would make Notts much less effective.

If Notts could learn to be more direct at times, it would silence those who just complain, including when we win in the season but expect 5 goals instead of 2. Or those who feel Notts are too predictable when it's just a difficult game.

@4everapie There’s a point to discussions and fans having their say, it’s what makes things interesting. Rather than watching people just complain.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  11

16 minutes ago, TheSkipper said:

Notts always perform better once they gain confidence. Arron Nemane was exceptional and in the second half, we controlled the game well. At times, it was unfortunate that some of our plays didn't receive the rewards they deserved.

Those who say that Notts didn't play well are missing the point. The players performed well, perhaps not as well as Chesterfield overall, but they dominated in spells. It's frustrating that many fans don't understand why Notts passes back. It's clear that it opens up play and defenders find it difficult to deal with. The faster the passing, the sooner someone gets into a position to score. Changing this would make Notts much less effective.

If Notts could learn to be more direct at times, it would silence those who just complain, including when we win in the season but expect 5 goals instead of 2. Or those who feel Notts are too predictable when it's just a difficult game.

@4everapie There’s a point to discussions and fans having their say, it’s what makes things interesting. Rather than watching people just complain.

Agreed discussion and having your say is a part of football, and I'll be discussing the game when I'm back at work Tuesday but we'll still be in league 2 next season 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

Will not lie nerves at the start on edge after they scored their penalty I was like oh no here we go again but when bostock equalised I was like get in!!!!!!!!!

When it enter extra time I thought oh no we've got the score now but then when Chesterfield reach up the lead I was like crap they're winning we need to goals. then when ruben Rodrigues scored I was like we need one goal then when Luke Williams made the substitution of the goalie I was like what's he doing then it went to penalties and it clicked Archie mare has saved the penalty this season before so we may have an edge then when he saved not one but two I was like we'll go we're going up we're going up I'm like well done to the lads

Before anyone asks no I didn't type this all about I used voice to speech recognition doesn't help I'm dyslexic

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It was clear that the pressure was on Notts, not Chesterfield. They seemed more mentally prepared to just push us back, chase everything and just make it very difficult to play. It was frustrating to see the referee quickly make the penalty call. I didn't fully understand why earlier the in-direct free kick had been given but from speaking to other fans it made sense. I do still feel the penalty was harsh, but I need to review the highlights.

It was a wreckless way to dive into the situation, it was given for the way he slides into Dallas, but he made the save.

Their players are nothing more than wind-up merchants, which was delightful to see how things played out and how their antics didn't prevail in any meaningful way.

I tried to sing my heart out throughout the game, I tried to encourage fans via our Facebook group to believe. Our support needed to be a lot more vocal, it's something we must learn helps during those tense times when the nerves are set in with the players. It helps massively.

I want to make it clear, I don't think Notts played that bad. It's interesting how some fans tend to dwell on the challenging moments of a match. However, it's worth highlighting that there were moments where we displayed excellent ball movement. Admittedly, the first half could have been more polished. But things picked up in the second half, with Notts taking charge and effectively controlling the ball.

That said, I feel Chesterfield were the better team on the day; the shoot-out saw a role reversal with the nerves clearly moving to them.

Both of our goals were mistakes by Ross Fitzsimons, after he tried to wind up the KOP in the league game earlier in the season against Chesterfield I have lost all respect for him. I am glad we've gone up at his expense because he's largely to blame for the reason we went down. He's not a very good keeper. I have no idea why teams like Chesterfield believe he's good enough to be their number one. I'm not trying to be overly critical of Ross, I just find him to be very prone to making mistakes.

When his confidence dips, it's gone, and it went the moment Notts first equalised. By the time we were taking penalties, he looked like he was trying to hold something in.

Matt Palmer was very good at moving forward and picking the ball up, him and John Bostock played well. Although, Bostock was a bit poor on the ball at times but generally made it up by bossing the Chesterfield players around.

Aaron Nemane was class, by far the best player on the pitch and deserved any shouts for the Man of the Match from the Notts perspective.

Jodi Jones coming on, he again made a massive difference. He clicked and switched sides as if he had started, never missing a beat and handled how the Chesterfield players would go in hard on him.

What a comeback! We have that fighting spirit that enables us to get into the matches that we just need to learn to handle from the beginning.

During the interview with Luke Williams, Nick Richardson pointed out that there were two particular performances that were vastly different from Notts County's usual standard. It's not uncommon in big games, although we have been class all season. The same problem arose against Wrexham, so there's something we need to do in regard to handling pressure.

Still, it's great to see the determination and scenes. The win and promotion is massive, Luke Wiliams is a tactical genius and Achie Mair, what a keeper when the pressure is high!

• Like 1
  • Love 1