Holidays

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I should have been jetting off to Corfu today, sadly we had to cancel but it got me thinking.

Have you been on holiday yet, if so where to?
If you haven’t been, have you got a holiday planned? Where are you going?

If you aren’t going away this year what is your memory of a favourite past holiday?

Since I retired we’ve been on lots of holidays, quite a few cruises, holidays in this country, short breaks etc.

I think my favourite all time holiday was a cruise around the Greek Islands and Italy we did a few years ago, it was idyllic, we saw lots of places we’d read about and seen pictures of, Rome, Venice, Athens etc.

How about you, share your holiday memories and plans for future ones.

• Like 9

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We have always gone to Skegness, but have ambitions of going overseas. Unfortunately the cost always deters us, but at some point we really do need to save up, obtain our passports ahead of time and take the plunge. @cheeky~k8 wants to go back to Turkey, I would like to visit my friends in the US most I made from a songwriting community back when I was 15. I've kept in touch with them via social media, they also joined my first site which died off due to some outside issues.

I would also like to go to Australia and Spain.

Though for now, we settle for Costa del Skeggy which has been my families holiday all my life. So, many fond and funny memories of our trips there. Including the first time Kate came with us, leading up to it, she was being stubborn about staying at my parents as she didn't want to get bored. She has mistaken Skegness for Mablethorpe, ever since she's loved it. Our time on the bench has always been a favourite part for us.

Some people exaggerate how bad it is. If you avoid certain pubs and crowded places, it can be less frustrating. Knowing where to go and spending time away from busy areas can give you a different perspective.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

i will be going to cyprus for my next holiday, everythings booked. it will only be for 4 days, but i plan to go away for longer when it starts to get colder here, so then my thoughts are to go explore somewhere like india.

• Like 6

Supporter+
1 hour ago, Chris said:

Our time on the bench has always been a favourite part for us.

Sorry you had to sleep on a bench hopefully get a caravan next time. :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Haha 5

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

We haven't had a family holiday since 2018 which was to Skeg in 2018. We was supposed to be going back 2 years ago, had everything booked and saved up ready for it, but due to covid restrictions they cancelled our booking because we have a Leicestershire postcode, at the time they were preventing travel from this area. 

We're hoping to have a holiday soon though. Have been offered a mates families caravan during the 6 weeks holidays but it's too short a notice to start saving up. Although, my wife's friend has a caravan and she's told us we can use it for free, as long as there's no bookings around the time we want, all we'd have to pay for is electric and gas so there's a possibility of getting a holiday at some point. 

Growing up, I was lucky enough to go Orlando 4 times. Hopefully one day we'll be able to take the kids but only when they're old enough to have proper memories from it. 

I have so many great memories from family holidays. It's just unfortunate we've never been in a position to take the kids as much as we'd hoped. 

While I feel privileged to have gone abroad many times growing up, I do wish I had more family holidays in and around England as my wife and her family used to go Cornwall every year and there's so many places in England I've heard people go to that have been amazing places to visit. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

Nothing much planned this year yet - a weekend in Brighton and a weekend in Dublin, but I am hoping to get away in my vintage VW camper somewhere later in the summer.

Lots of happy memories camping, in the van with my own family, on family holidays when I was young.  I have been to Iceland a couple of times which was great too.  One epic holiday involved cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats and climbing Snowdon, Scarfell Pike and Ben Nevis on the way and another we walked the West highland Way.  They were both epic adventures.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  322
  • Days Won:  9
  • 𝕏:  twitter Megan_Elizax

Me and @ARLukomskihave a trip to London in September for the weekend. Then us and a few friends are going to a Butlins 2000's weekend. Apart from that, I've got no other holidays 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Sorry you had to sleep on a bench hopefully get a caravan next time. :rollonfloorlaughing:

I wasn't sleeping, just resting my eyes! If @cheeky~k8 or anyone else in my family says I were snoring, I was just breathing!!! 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,726
  • Days Won:  27

At the same time the gaffer was at Skeg, I was down in Cornwall for a week and a half. I went to various parts; I didn’t realise how small of an area it was with all the open space and beaches. I was expecting it to be oldie newie but it’s very much unspoiled. The bars near the seafront gave some nice views. It’s one of the better UK holidays I have had.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

I’m considering spending a fortnight in Egypt. I haven’t been before, but I know others who have and it sounds nice. Previously, I have been to the Caribbean, South Asia and most of Europe. I don’t have any dates booked yet, but I do have annual leave.

Does anyone have suggestions based on Egypt? I’m not bothered about the pyramids. A tourist location that’s a bit more relaxed would be nice, with food and bar options (not alcoholic obviously).

• Like 4

• Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I used to go to Cornwall as a kid and then started going places like Turkey, Corfu and Tenerife. I quite liked Tenerife and Corfu... especially the big water park at corfu as a kid. As an adult we go to Skegness as a family, the kids love it... its just getting a little harder to keep them from being bored as they are getting older and glued to phones. We have alot of memories in skeggy :)

• Like 4

Supporter+
45 minutes ago, cheeky~k8 said:

its just getting a little harder to keep them from being bored as they are getting older and glued to phones. 

Haha that sounds exactly like our grandchildren. I suppose most older kids are the same these days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

On 15/06/2023 at 18:07, Chris said:

I wasn't sleeping, just resting my eyes! If @cheeky~k8 or anyone else in my family says I were snoring, I was just breathing!!! 😊

You admit it now, although we obviously knew... you still denyed being asleep.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  8

Recently had a week with some of my family, grandkids etc in Great Yarmouth. Next holiday will be in Oct/Nov for 2 weeks in Florida. Been a few times, great place to visit. This was booked and paid for prior to Covid so it's a catch up holiday. Got put off for travel reasons, then myself and the wife had a rough time with the Indian variant so this is the first opportunity.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

As mentioned on here, I was in Athens for a few days a few weeks ago. Before that we had a long weekend in Great Yarmouth which turned out to be better than we thought it would be.

For the rest of this year, we’ll be off on a cruise for week in August covering the western Mediterranean,and we will be off again in October to Prague for a few days. Plans for next year include Lanzarote, Madeira, another cruise and Morocco. 
We never go away for more than a week as we start getting bored and most of our trips only cover 3 to 4 days.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Days Won:  15

South America will be my destination next month, either Peru or Brazil. I haven’t decided yet, but both have caught my eye. Machu Picchu and Cusco are two potential places I would like to see. Parque Ibirapuera is the location in Brazil I’m debating, but I think it might be worth visiting in the future.

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I have no plans as of yet to go on holiday. I am thinking of coming back over to England for a few months. I need to have my operation first, then see, but I do think I will come over.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Not yet, I have a sofa in my flat and a desk near a window overlooking a part of Manchester’s canals that I like sitting at when writing. I don’t get stressed if I have guests over and they sit down; they can sit where they like.

• Like 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

I am planning to go to Scotland for a few days, to the Highlands and then at some point I will go to Portugal for my actual holiday. I like the warmth of Portugal; the sea is lovely and the food is to die for.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Rudesheim, Germania monument, in @DangerousSausage country!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederwald_monument

20230701_132620.jpg

• Like 2