Charlie Slater moves on

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

This is only to be expected but nonetheless very sad.

• Like 19

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I actually preferred the person who covered for him, the one people said usually did cricket. Charlie also made me miss Colin Slater, who will forever be the voice of Notts County in my head. Nobody could ever come as close to Uncle Colin's achievements, and whilst I personally find Charlie to be extremely annoying to listen too.

I can appreciate what he does, but the way the BBC were going and with him doing more television I can say I saw this coming.

Good luck, Charlie.

• Like 13
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

it had to happen, with notts now being in the football league i dont think it looks right that we have a commentator that does tv work over his supposed role. its sad, but i do hope we can get someone who is committed to the role and can do it for every game.

i dont mind the cricket person who took over, but it sounds like its someone called dave if you go on the interview tobi gave.

does anyone know who it is?

best wishes to charlie, i thought he gave a lot of passion to his role.

• Like 13

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

Charlie’s commentary of Notts County games has shown his deep understanding of football and connection with the club. He succeeded Colin Slater and has a strong bond with the fans.

• Like 13

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

The departure of Charlie from both Notts County and BBC Radio Nottingham is a significant loss. Charlie, your presence will be greatly missed and your absence will be deeply felt.

• Like 11

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,094
  • Days Won:  2

It’s sad to see another commentator leave the club, but it’s nice knowing they’re moving on to bigger and better things. Charlie did a fantastic job for Notts.

• Like 12

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Well, I think that Charlie Slater has made a clear decision, and I have enjoyed his time. It took some getting used to, I admit, but his friendship and connection with Mark Stallard is special. What are the chances of the BBC hiring Dean Yates so we can have him do the commentary and Mark Stallard assist? :D Unlikely, I know. Who’s taking over?

• Like 12

Supporter+

I would imagine Dave Bracegirdle will take over as he’s done it when Charlie couldn’t. He’s ok but not a patch on Charlie, I’ll miss the banter between Charlie and Stall.

• Like 12

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,516
  • Days Won:  9

Yes, Charlie won us fans over with his coverage of the games and his banter with Mark Stallard. I hope he enjoys more success, as he has been with us for over 6 years. It’s always a shame to see such a person go, much like Ollie King.

• Like 10

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  373
  • Days Won:  0

Charlie Slater will be a difficult face to replace. His voice and commentary did take time to get familiar with, but his work with Mark Stallard propelled him into our fan base. He will be missed and I thank him for his efforts in covering Notts and reporting on the club.

Edited by NottsCountyKev
  • Like 10

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Charlie is gonna be missed on matchday commentary. His passion and commitment to the club as well as giving fans the best possible coverage was clear for all to see and hear. 

Him and Stal as a duo were brilliant. They both had such good chemistry and bounced off eachother superbly well. 

The thing that sticks in my mind when mentioning Charlie Slater is "in your life Michael Doyle"

Wishing him all the best for the future and also good luck to whoever comes in to fill his boots 👍

• Like 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

I hope some closer to his age or younger comes in, the club was starting to become trendy and fashionable. Youngsters connect to people who aren't always so serious. I will miss, Charlie Slater.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,896
  • Days Won:  5

I am saddened to see Charlie Slater leave. I understand his decision, but I hope we can find someone more long term. It’s hard to invest when changes are made, just like everything. I do think younger fans, younger than I am, liked Charlie because he was a good guy.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  1

Charlie Slater grew into our fan base. I remember the complaints about him being a former Mansfield commentator, but he ended up winning fans over. I think his decision to stop covering Notts is a shame, especially with NEP letting Ollie King go and it being our first full season back in the Football League. It’s all the more of a shame. I wish him well.

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Charlie Slater decision to move away from Notts' commentary is truly heart-wrenching, but my best wishes go out to him.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  419

I only occasionally heard his commentary, which I thought was okay. He had his quirks, but what I liked were the brilliant videos of him and Mark Stallard. Those reaction videos were something special and it’s sad to see their partnership end. I wish Charlie all the best.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  56

17 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I would imagine Dave Bracegirdle will take over as he’s done it when Charlie couldn’t. He’s ok but not a patch on Charlie, I’ll miss the banter between Charlie and Stall.

I won't have a problem with Bracegirdle taking over. I enjoy his cricket ball-by-balls. A very different style, but no less passionate.

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

Good luck to whatever he does next.

I wonder who is going to be taking on the role as Notts commentator.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

He might not have been everyone's cup of tea, but I thought he was brilliant. I took in most of my Notts football via the radio, and he always gave a very good idea of what was happening on the pitch. It went a bit wobbly at the goals, but that was part of the charm! Listening to him and Stallard was entertaining in and of itself, I'd have happily listened to them even if I weren't a Notts fan.

So now we have to find another C Slater to do our commentary! But life moves on. Thanks for the memories Charlie and the best of luck in the future! 

• Like 4

Supporter+

My wife said Charlie and Stall should have their own show, she really enjoyed listening to them and she’s not really bothered about football.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  741

It’s a shame to see Charlie Slater leave so soon. I think the BBC made a mistake by allowing him to skip his radio duties in favour of his TV appearances. Personally, I always felt it should be one or the other, but it’s sad to see him leave his commentary role. There’s no reason why he couldn’t do both on non-match days. I hope whoever comes in maintains their presence when doing commentary throughout the season.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  230

It’s a shame and it is sad to see Charlie Slater move on. I thought he became better with each season and I wished we could have had a few more years of the Slater/Stall banter.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  213

It’s sad to see Charlie Slater leave his Notts commentary position with BBC Radio Nottingham, but it’s exciting to see a new era. Provided we still have Mark Stallard, then that’s the main thing. Good luck, Charlie, and thank you.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138

I'm disappointed because I think when he arrived, many comments were made about his coverage of Mansfield games. Some of our fans even said he supported them, and Stag fans said he would do this. I don't like people using Notts as a stepping stone. However, I do wish him well because he won everyone over. But having the label of Colin Slater's successor has made his decision to leave bitter in my mind.

I mean, what do I know, but he seems to want to be back on camera and more well-known. I think I wouldn't have these feelings if he had been here for a lot longer.

• Like 1