PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

Game 1 - The Us (A)

Team: Sutton United

Date: 05/08/2023

Where: Gander Green Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 6

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Sutton finished 14th last season. They lost some of their better players in the off season and they haven't looked good in pre season. They lost to Woking and Aldershot and didn't score a goal in either game. County are in a better place than Sutton. I fancy Notts to win this. 2-0. 

• Like 12

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

they still play like a national league team imo, but have adapted well to league two. i think they will be quite physical, i dont mean that in a dirty fouling type of way. i mean they will be strong on the ball and use their physicality to try to out strengthen us.

i believe we have a good amount of quality, which should be able to perform well. we just need the chances to be taken and to be strong in defence.

also, having macaulay langstaff up top would be nice.

• Like 9

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

In terms of the upcoming game, it seems likely that Notts County will be in control. A final score of 1-3 with Macaulay Langstaff scoring twice and David McGoldrick getting the other goal seems plausible. It would be great to see a strong squad fielded, with Jodi Jones included in the starting lineup. He offers a lot of direct threat and it would be better to have him on from the start rather than bringing him on as a substitute. Ultimately, as long as the performance is decent and Notts bring back the points, that’s all that matters.

• Like 11

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I would love to be able to give my thoughts and analysis on this, like I did in the past, but I don't think it's fair to go on it based on the friendly games.

I would assume them to be set up quite defensively, but not so much that it limits their attack. They have done quite well since gaining their Football League status, but as mentioned some of their better players have left. I would say that Will Randall would be useful as someone to give his thoughts on how he feels they will play, but it's most likely going to be adapted and changed. Jodi Jones does do well coming on from off the bench. I would have Adam Chicksen and Aaron Nemane on the wing.

John Bostock, Matt Palmer and David Mcgoldrick in midfield.

I hope Macaulay Langstaff is at the top.

With the back consisting of Kyle Cameron, Aden Baldwin and Richard Brindley as the back three.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Being the first game it’s hard to say how teams will play, in fact it’s hard to say how we will play, will Williams keep the high line we played last season with lots of possession and wearing the opposition down? 

I think however we play we have the better players and should be too strong for Sutton, expectations will be very high but if we don’t hit the ground running I won’t panic it’s a long season.

• Like 10

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

I think there will be mistakes at times by both sides; it just depends on whom it will prove to be more costly towards. I can see a draw happening, which seems the most likely outcome. It would be nice if Notts could get off to a win, but the season can be a slow race, and a point on the opening day isn’t something to knock.

• Like 10

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I find it hard to predict most matches, so the first game of the season is really tricky.  My feeling is that with most of last year's squad still together, and a surprising lack of interest in Macca, I think the relatively short time between the playoff and preseason will see enough of the 'feel good' factor to see us through.  I just think it will help us hit the ground running a bit more.  It will be an interesting line up.  I suspect we won't go with the more compact 4 at the back as we will fancy dominating Sutton, so midfield of Palmer, Bostock with McGoldrick and Crowley ahead, Macca up front (Unless this injury is still  bothering him, in which case Scott - I actually think Scott is as good, if not better).  I think the back 5 will be the Nemane, Baldwin, Cameron, Brindley and Jones.  The subs will be so interesting - Randall, Chicksen, Slocome, Scott, Tipton (?)..but what about Austin, maybe Austin for Scott as he is a little more versatile, or Chicksen?

I really have no idea, and I don't get to watch enough games to make a really informed choice, I just think it is very exciting, extremely interesting and I can't wait (even if we do get soaked on the open terrace!!).

Score - 3 - 0 to Notts.

• Like 8

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  17

I just hope whatever the line up - Notts will bring home the 3 points. COYP

• Like 9

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

The first match is usually a bit static for newly promoted teams, unless they overcome their nerves and really go for the win. I can’t see Notts winning by a large margin; I think it will be close and that Sutton United will be defensively resilient. My prediction is a narrow 1-0 win, with Macaulay Langstaff scoring the only goal of the game.

It wouldn’t surprise me if either team ends up having a goal disallowed. Despite my low score prediction, I think both teams will play quite well.

• Like 9

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

Anyone else think the time since that Wembley win has flown by? Pre-season done and now we’re ready to start all over again, I’m not complaining and really looking forward to it!

I’d expect Stone to start in goal given he had the most playing time and was fully fit over pre-season.

I’m guessing formation wise we’ll start as we finished in some from of 3-4-2-1. The defence, in terms of the back three, feels like it picks itself at the moment. It isn’t the ideal start the season but given Aden’s minor injury I’d expect to see Brindley, Rawlinson and Cameron.

Wingbacks I think will be the tried and tested duo from last season. In midfield O’Brien has got to be in with a shout to start, I think he’s had a solid pre-season but the temptation to get more control with Bostock and Palmer will probably be too great.

If Macca’s fit he’s got to start for me, and I’d have McGoldrick and Austin as his support. We’ve got so much quality up top though; could have the likes of Scott, Jones, Randall and Crowley on the bench. Amazing options, proper game changers.

Our games against Sutton have always been close, I’d expect Saturday’s game to carry on that trend but I’m hoping the buzz from last season carries over and we get a winning start!

• Like 8

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

It is crucial for Notts to start the season with a positive result. Securing that first victory can provide a tremendous sense of relief, and I don’t believe we will have an easier opportunity for an opening game. This is not meant to be disrespectful towards Sutton United, but they will be fortunate to finish near mid-table. It is commendable that they have managed to retain their place in the EFL and even build upon their debut, but I suspect they may be one of five teams that might struggle as the season draws to a close. It is important not to underestimate them, as Notts did when Sutton United beat us to secure promotion, and it would be painful if history were to repeat itself. We have a strong squad that needs to fight for each other and for us, in order to secure those vital opening day points.

• Like 7

Supporter+
7 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

It is crucial for Notts to start the season with a positive result.

It’d be great to have that first day win but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s crucial, it’s a very long season and there’ll no doubt be ups and downs, I think a draw would be ok but if we lost it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

10 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

It is crucial for Notts to start the season with a positive result. Securing that first victory can provide a tremendous sense of relief, and I don’t believe we will have an easier opportunity for an opening game. This is not meant to be disrespectful towards Sutton United, but they will be fortunate to finish near mid-table. It is commendable that they have managed to retain their place in the EFL and even build upon their debut, but I suspect they may be one of five teams that might struggle as the season draws to a close. It is important not to underestimate them, as Notts did when Sutton United beat us to secure promotion, and it would be painful if history were to repeat itself. We have a strong squad that needs to fight for each other and for us, in order to secure those vital opening day points.

I don't think we will underestimate them - we had plenty of practice last season and hopefully learned our lesson against Dorking.  If anyone will prepare the team well, it's Luke Williams. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

On 02/08/2023 at 22:31, Fan of Big Tone said:

Being the first game it’s hard to say how teams will play, in fact it’s hard to say how we will play, will Williams keep the high line we played last season with lots of possession and wearing the opposition down? 

I think however we play we have the better players and should be too strong for Sutton, expectations will be very high but if we don’t hit the ground running I won’t panic it’s a long season.

I don't expect such a high line this season. We got caught out a few times last year and could get punished against the more talented League 2 clubs.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i am going to predict a 2-0 win in notts favour, i think sutton will make it hard with both goals coming in each period of the game. the first and second half. a clean sheet on opening day would be worth its weight in gold for morale and moving forward.

21 hours ago, menzinho said:

Anyone else think the time since that Wembley win has flown by?

its gone slow at times, but only the odd week. pre season has flown by, as did the period we signed the new recruits. it was between those when it seemed to stall.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I watched a video where the Sutton United manager praised Notts.

He spoke about how their club are adapting and improving the stadium, especially their pitch and all these other changes. He said that Luke Williams has one of the best squads in terms of depth that Sutton will be adapting to how they feel we will play and aim to put on a strong performance.

He seemed a very decent manager, a lot better than I expected. Very quirky and old-fashioned in a way that it was hard not to like him.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The first game of the season is always one of the most important, as getting off to a good start and securing early points can provide a huge boost. Sutton is known to have had issues with their pitch, which is said to be one of the worst to play on. It is unclear if this has changed since they joined the Football League, but Notts County will need to persist regardless. Based on previous encounters, a draw seems like a likely outcome.

However, having Macaulay Langstaff and David McGoldrick in the squad could provide some strong attacking options. McGoldrick, in particular, would likely relish the opportunity to score.

My prediction for the game is a 2-2 draw, but I hope that Notts County can secure a 0-2 or 1-2 victory.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

There will be a lot of happy fans traveling to Sutton tomorrow. Does anyone know if we have sold out our allocation? I hope those lucky enough to make it give good support to the boys, and in return, they deliver a solid performance. I think Notts should manage a comfortable 2-0 win.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  18

I would advise the players to go out, enjoy their football, and focus on pressing to win the ball back as quickly as possible. I'm certain Luke Williams will have set them up and communicated his vision for their playing style. If we can secure a win in the upcoming game, it would be a great advantage for the home game, as the pressure to get that first win would be lifted. I expect the match to be very open, and my score prediction would be 3-1 in favor of Notts.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Safe journey to all the travelling ‘Pies fans, I hope it’s a great game and you all stay dry, most importantly I hope it’s a win for Notts.  COYP!!

• Like 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,234
  • Days Won:  69

I'll just say welcome back to life in The EFL. I hope I can join in with celebratory comments and not an inquest later.I'm fairly confident it will be the former, with a 2 - 1 win for Notts. I hope I'm not being over confident,good luck Notts.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  36

Strong lineup picked for today, although I will be glad when the back line is fully fit and  Baldwin and Tipton are in it. Still think we could do with another CB.

Bench today is really strong, must be one of the best in the division.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A sobering start on our return to League 2. Sutton exposed County at the back. I think LW will have to change formation, we'll be crucified most games if we stick with the current formation. Lots of hard work ahead for LW and the players. David McGoldrick will score 20 plus goals if he stays fit. 

• Like 1