Morecambe 3 points deduction suspended

Piethagoram

Morecambe FC has received a three-point deduction to be suspended until 30 June 2024 after admitting a breach of EFL Regulations for failing to pay its player wages on or around 28 March 2023.

So, they haven’t had 3 points deducted because it’s suspended? It further hurts the fans and club when points are deducted from teams; I strongly disagree with it. I’ve checked the BBC Sports site for the League Two table and there’s no sign of any deduction. Hopefully, they can make payment before the suspension becomes active. I sincerely hope no Notts fan would wish them ill for our benefit.

• Like 9

My own opinion is that a 5 point deduction should be made immediately if wages are failed to be paid. My only concession would be if say another club hadn't paid a transfer fee, so they were short of cash... then that club should also have 5 points deducted immediately.

Early points deduction may have saved Bury before it was too late

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

@Piethagoram we have been in the position where our previous owners have not paid wages to the staff, where notts have not been punished. i recall twice this happening under alan hardy. the clubs staff were messed around for months to my knowledge.

i agree points should be docked if that is the ruling has been given, without the suspension but i cant help but feel lucky.

• Like 12

@DangerousSausage The EFL’s potential decision to dock points seems harsh, as it primarily affects the fans, which seems rather unjust. If the owner is indifferent, then it’s clear that he needs to be replaced. I firmly believe that English football authorities should take a more active role in resolving these issues.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

It's difficult for Morecambe, as where is the attraction in owning a team with very limited appeal within their local community? They will always be a League Two team that is punching above the Non-League. If the owner doesn't care, he won't be persuaded to pay the wages by having points docked. It just makes it harder for all involved.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

@liampieI stand by my thoughts, re the case with #Notts, it may have prevented being up before the High Court and being under threat of liquidation.

Overspending can also mean the particular team recruited better players at a cost and so the points deduction is right to happen in that season... vis a vis other clubs

i should be clearer with what i mean at times, i understand where you are coming from. i mean notts fans who may wish harm on them just so we can do better. i think thats wrong, not wanting the rules to be upheld. sorry for not being clearer.

• Like 7

Morecambe should be docked points instead of being given time to overcome the issue. I sympathise with them; it’s awful, but at the end of the day, if their owner isn’t willing to pay the players’ wages, they must be docked points. I don’t get the logic that owners have when they lose interest. The more damage they do, the less likely they are to get a good amount of money back for the club. They will never get their full investment back.

• Like 7

@Piethagoram Could the EFL bring in something which is binding legally, that means they can take the money required and if the owner doesn't have it, the EFL could take ownership of the assets involved with the club? A bit like houses which landlords refuse to keep up to standard or just neglect.

I don't know, it's not a good thing for Morecambe.

• Like 7

It’s looking bleak for English football with all the issues clubs are facing. Hopefully, one day it will be managed better, but I wish Morecambe all the best. It’s never pleasant to see a club struggle financially, but at least it’s not holding them back on the pitch.

• Like 4

Morecambe have a decent setup, despite the issues they face. I do think the point deduction should be applied now, not because it would help us but because its written in the rules regarding payment. It’s awful for the fans, but I would think it might push the owner into making the exit sooner as the potential of further punishment would only affect the club.

• Like 3

Morecambe needs to find a way to move forward and get the owner out of the club. It’s going to take a lot of negotiating, but hopefully, someone comes forward. You never know; the club may attract interest similar to Wrexham or Salford. Whatever saves them would be a good thing for football.

• Like 3

Morecambe is in desperate need of a lifeline. Their owner has the financial means and should settle his debts. If he’s lost interest in his plaything, he should allow Tyson Fury to purchase them without trying to overcharge him. I’d be thrilled to see a charity match where Fury, blindfolded, goes up against Sarbjot Johal. I believe Fury would detect Johal by his perspiration and secure a clean victory with a single punch.

It’s horrible to see this becoming a common occurrence instead of a rare thing. I hope Morecambe overcomes the issues. They have a decent ground for this level and have earned their status in the Football League. It would be a shame to see a stubborn owner undo all this, especially one so young and clueless.