Stead signs

Feral Fox

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Solid signing who will hopefully lead the line for us this year. Where does it leave Spencer though?

Maybe Moniz really does want his own team and Jimmy might not get alot of game time?

Is Stead here to partner him?

Cant see Stead coming here without a promise of game time tbh.

The Magpies are delighted to announce the signing of striker Jon Stead on a two-year deal subject to a medical…

The 32-year-old forward arrives from Huddersfield Town and brings a wealth of experience and goals having played in the top tier of the English game for Blackburn Rovers and Sheffield United.

There he helped Rovers stay clear of relegation in 2004, whilst collecting a play-off medal from Town at the end of the season after his 18 goals that season.

Stead has also played for Sunderland, Ipswich Town and Bristol City, commanding over four million in transfer fees and was also named Powerade Player of the Month for his form for Derby County on loan after three goals in as many games in the Championship.

The 6’2 Englishman was on loan at Bradford City last season in League One, scoring most notably against Premier League sides Chelsea and Sunderland in their brilliant FA Cup run where they reached the semi-final stage, putting in a man of the match display at Stamford Bridge.

In total last term, he scored 11 times in 40 appearances, including a goal against the Magpies at Meadow Lane back in March and boasts over 100 goals in a career which started with his hometown club Huddersfield back in 2002. 

Stead has also represented his country for the Under 21s, scoring once in 11 appearances.

Read more at http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/article/jon-stead-notts-county-meadow-lane-2521891.aspx#m1ivUuVGr4CBimk3.99

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Is Jon Stead considered to be the Championship striker? I'm not sure but I hope he'll be a massive boost to the existing squad.

I think he'll partner our front line very well, so if Jimmy/Ronan work alongside him we could have a very hard working duo upfront and of course we are still linked with additional players. It all seems very promising!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Promotion. Anything less is failure. That is all.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Moniz has mentioned 4-3-3 a lot, I assume that is his preferred formation. 1 striker, two advanced wingers (with pace).

For me, this signing means Stead leads the line and Spencer is backup. Where this leaves Murray, who knows. 

• Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Moniz has mentioned 4-3-3 a lot, I assume that is his preferred formation. 1 striker, two advanced wingers (with pace).

For me, this signing means Stead leads the line and Spencer is backup. Where this leaves Murray, who knows. 

This was my thoughts as well tbh. If we can get the wingers then the middle would be able to dominate a little more and bring the wingers into the game, allowing a cm to move in to support Stead.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Looks like another good signing

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Why not have this 4-3-3 become a 4-1-5.. have swerts as your 1, and play the two wingers and 3 up top.... hell that would be more cavalier than a spaniel

• Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  1

Quality signing they keep getting better! Excited for pre-season now never mind the actual season

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Exceptional signing, WILL score goals at this level, it seems to be coming together nicely guys!!!

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Am I the only one who is not impressed? He's not a massive signing, also average at best. I don't get the over hype of this signing, his career is going downwards and that is why Bradford didn't offer him a deal.

Good luck to him mind.

• Content Count:  49
  • Days Won:  0

I will tell you now, spencer will not be dropped! Moniz played him mainly evergame spencer could last year , he wont leave him out

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who is not impressed? He's not a massive signing, also average at best. I don't get the over hype of this signing, his career is going downwards and that is why Bradford didn't offer him a deal.

Good luck to him mind.

Bradford did offer him a deal. He's  not exciting in terms of '30 goal a season striker', but he does offer a lot of other things. 

Very good signing at our level. I don't understand how he would fit into the 1 up front formation,  unless you're hoping your wingers score all your goals. 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I'm very pleased with this, he's a quality player. Bradford, Chesterfield and Barnsley were after him too, so we did well to sign him.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm very pleased with this, he's a quality player. Bradford, Chesterfield and Barnsley were after him too, so we did well to sign him.

Bradford didn't offer him a contract, Jon would have re-signed for them but he never received an offer.

He mentioned this within his interview, that he was disappointed by that but he didn't want to hang around sorting his future out and when this offer came up, he decided to listen (as supposed Guy Branston did a lot of nagging to get him to consider the move in the first place).

• Content Count:  128

Jon Stead is a good hard worker and the goals he scores are a direct result of this approach but his record is not impressive. I do feel we shouldn't jump go the prolific line the club thrown out.

I an very pleased by this arrival.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Are there two threads about the Stead signing? I've just said on another thread that I was gobsmacked that he signed for us, I'm glad to see more positive comments on this thread.

• Content Count:  1,350
  • Days Won:  1

His quality in league two should be enough to push us forward, the recruitment is going ever so well and I believe the wait is worth that.

Very pleased and impressed by this signing.

• Content Count:  285

I am concerned that he may not be 100% all the time, what with his injury record but at this level its a brilliant capture. Not a regular goal scorer by all accounts but perhaps he will for us? We seem to building a good squad.

• Content Count:  33

Is Jon Stead considered to be the Championship striker? I'm not sure but I hope he'll be a massive boost to the existing squad.

I think he'll partner our front line very well, so if Jimmy/Ronan work alongside him we could have a very hard working duo upfront and of course we are still linked with additional players. It all seems very promising!

No he is not the Championship striker i was referring to.  

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

John Stead is one of the signings which has really given me that "lift" required to be excited for the upcoming season, i just hope it does not lead to disappointed further down the line.

With no disrespect to any of the other players, we know what he brings and the rest will be unknown to a degree.

@RayTrew Any further news on the Championship striker? People are saying he's training or has signed for another club.

• Content Count:  686

I'm not jumping from my seat or I should say I was not at the time but what I can say is, its a "steady" signing.  :thumbsup: 

Requirement seems spot on this year.

• Content Count:  274

I am one of the people who would rather see Spencer played alone, Stead is a decent signing but I am not convinced he will score us all that many goals. He seems to me to be more an assist striker, somewhat like Spencer already but without being a target man.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

big signing indeed but i have my concerns.

i do not believe his record warrants being called prolific but i do hope he can bag a decent amount of goals for us.

I am one of the people who would rather see Spencer played alone, Stead is a decent signing but I am not convinced he will score us all that many goals. He seems to me to be more an assist striker, somewhat like Spencer already but without being a target man.

Yep, I would rather see Spencer given the lead role. I guess they can battle it out in training and Moniz will pick who he feels is better. 

• Content Count:  106

I must be the only one who doesn't rate Spencer at all here! I'd go Stead in a front 3 with any 2 of Murray, Snijders and Jenner. Stead's creativity should mean that the pace on our wingmen could be used for them to score and Stead to be a link up player

Archived