Neal Bishop to Stags!

samwatto2008

Its official Neal Bishop has put pen to paper at the One Call Stadium. He was very good at Notts but don't think he would have been the right fit for us next season. Happy to let this one slide. Typical of the Radfords to try and top us but lets face it ... Kane Hemmings > Neal Bishop. Thoughts?

Supporter+

They say never go back, Bish went from Meadow Lane a good player and well liked, it would be Sadif he had come back and not been as good. I sincerely hope he does well at Mansfield except when they play us of course.

I think Kane Hemmings will be great for us.

For a few years, he would have been exactly the player we would have gone for, over 30 and past his best, but fortunately we look to have moved away from this now. I can't blame him for joining them, lives locally and one last contract, but I can't help but think that he will be 37 at the start of the season and cannot see him influencing games like he used to.

honestly i think its a signing we would have made under the trews and most likely just a means to save money. he should be okay at mansfield, it would be somewhere he could retire if he was to earn the armband.

It makes you wonder what Mansfield's approach will be this season, it looks like they are trying to get more experience into their ranks and Neal Bishop would sure offer that. His hopes of returning to League One seem pretty distant now however. :rolleyes:

After the news broke linking him to Mansfield it always seemed a matter of time before they captured his signature, I do think its best he goes somewhere that will play him and Mansfield most likely will due to his playing nature.

Good player, yet Neal is way past his best. Scunthrope wouldn't have release him if this wasn't the case. The thing I don't get is why Stag fans are trying to rub it in our faces and going on about how good he is. He's 37, how can you hype someone up so much that is close to retirement?

I wish him well but acting like its a massive signing just shows how tinpot Mansfield are.

I think Flitcroft is trying to do what Nolan did here, bring in some experience and have someone who can leader the younger players. 37 is quite old for a footballer but Bish looks much fitter than most footballers.

He has a season or two in him yet.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely delighted we've signed him. I kept asking him to sign for us so I'm glad he finally has. I think he'll be captain & I think he'll be player of the season too. Notts fans didn't realise what he did to the side when they kept booing & jeering him at times. I said back then you only miss something when it's gone & Notts have never really replaced him since. I think had Notts got Bish the past couple of seasons they would've gone up. Hopefully he can do that for us.

His experience and professionalism could rub off on other Mansfield players, he seems a good captain but at what, 37? How long does he have left? You may get a season out of him @Dan and you may be right about him being your player of the season.

But if I was cynical, I would be saying why didn't he sign for a bigger club (no offence) and how poor are the players around him if he is one of your best players.

Naturally, I wish him well and I hope Mansfield do well. Just not against Notts.

On 04/08/2018 at 20:59, NottsTastic said:

Bit of a stretch to consider Neal Bishop as one of the best signings.

Why's that then? When was the last time you saw him play? There's lots of Notts fans who are gutted they didn't re-sign him as they haven't got a player like that in the team. Indeed someone said on twitter that had Notts had him last season they would've gone up & I go along with that too.

Archived