Notts commentary on Radio Red

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

You will now need to have a digital radio to follow the Notts matches, Radio Nottingham will broadcast F*r*st commentary on both 103.8 and 95.5 FM and Notts matches on digital. This is because they can no longer broadcast on MW.

Seems a bit unfair on Notts fans who haven’t got a digital radio. Thoughts?

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

crazy decision considering there are many alternative ways of keeping up to date with the game.

why not have forest on 103.8 and notts on 95.5? people like to listen to the radio whilst watching the game, there are very few digital radios that are portable. stupid decision.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

You can understand them dropping the MW frequency, why go to the length they have to favour just Nottingham Forest fans? It's not right and anyone with sense would boycott them until they worked out a fairer system.

As someone who tries to see football beyond rivalries, this isn't fair for Notts but it's worse for Mansfield fans. Why have they been given the short straw? Really there is alternative ways to make it work.

Why not broadcast via the internet like Absolute Radio does, at least this way people would have another choice.

• Chris featured this topic

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,140
  • Days Won:  2

It don't effect me as I never listen to the radio but I think the situation is harsh on both Notts and Mansfield fans,

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

It's a bit daft isn't it? Talk about cutting your noise off to spite your face.

Supporter+

To be fair Radio Nottingham can’t broadcast Mansfield commentary because I believe another radio station have the rights, Radio Red only give score updates on Mansfield.

I do feel sorry for elderly/disabled Notts fans who can’t get to matches anymore and are unlikely to have a digital radio.

Does anyone remember the “I’m boycotting Radio Nottingham” campaign? I’ve still got the car sticker somewhere, can’t remember the actual reason now but it was some kind of unfair/biased action against Notts and that’s probably when the nickname Radio Red started.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

Most Notts fans wouldn't make a stand to boycott them.

When they see the response from fans, perhaps they will reconsider? It seems a bit of a bizarre decisions to broadcast Forest games on two frequencies when there's two teams. @super_ram what does Derby do for Burton and other clubs in your area?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

You will now need to have a digital radio to follow the Notts matches, Radio Nottingham will broadcast F*r*st commentary on both 103.8 and 95.5 FM and Notts matches on digital. This is because they can no longer broadcast on MW.

Seems a bit unfair on Notts fans who haven’t got a digital radio. Thoughts?

No great suprise from Radio Red

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  1

Why can't Forest fans tune into one frequency? It seems stupid to give them both 103.8 and 95.5 FM.

• Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

I wouldn’t expect anything different from the BBC. 

Supposed to have a charter for being fair and unbiased. But it’s just another quango run by the corrupt for the corrupt. 

Someone will have had a back hander somewhere, but it’s ok because it probably means people will come to Notts if they can’t listen to it and stay away from florist because they may as well listen to it on the radio.

will be interesting to see the figures and if the ratings go down ban them from the Lane again.

Supporter+
15 minutes ago, TM1993 said:

Why can't Forest fans tune into one frequency? It seems stupid to give them both 103.8 and 95.5 FM.

The argument put forward by chippers (Robin Chipperfield) on twitter is that it’s the only way both commentaries can be heard over the whole county. Florist fans in the north of the county wouldn’t be able to listen to their game. He reckons that 70% of people now have digital radios. So stuff the other 30% then. :veryangry:

• Content Count:  1,099

14 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

The argument put forward by chippers (Robin Chipperfield) on twitter is that it’s the only way both commentaries can be heard over the whole county. Florist fans in the north of the county wouldn’t be able to listen to their game. He reckons that 70% of people now have digital radios. So stuff the other 30% then. :veryangry:

This isn't an argument, it's a bloody excuse.

Buy better transmitters! Why do people buy a TV licence for a shoddy radio service.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,904
  • Days Won:  17

I've got a dab radio is that the same as digital? I dont know. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yes @magpiejue.

Digital Audio Broadcasting i.e DAB. :) 

• Content Count:  363

I'm very disappointed in the decision by BBC Radio Nottingham, I don't support them on their biased coverage but I can live with it.

I brought one of these from John Lewis last season - https://www.johnlewis.com/roberts-sports-dab-5-personal-stereo-radio/p1371118?sku=233314347&

But there are cheaper DAB radios such as this one.

• Content Count:  187

People are forgetting why many Notts fans refer to it as 'radio red'. They have no done themselves any favours here.

• Content Count:  235

I'm not that bothered, but it would be disappointing if the decision is because of the poor service of DAB radio.

I would have thought it would be better myself.

• Content Count:  149

I don't listen to the radio much enough to justify  buying a DAB Radio, does the Magpie Player still provide audio?

• Content Count:  284

The radio service will soon fold sooner or later, there's just nothing special about it these days and unless BBC Radio Nottingham goes fully digital - I just can't see how they will manage.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,307
  • Days Won:  69

9 hours ago, upthepies said:

Most Notts fans wouldn't make a stand to boycott them.

When they see the response from fans, perhaps they will reconsider? It seems a bit of a bizarre decisions to broadcast Forest games on two frequencies when there's two teams. @super_ram what does Derby do for Burton and other clubs in your area?

Broadcast both on different frequencies but not Chesterfield.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I would hate to lose the coverage if I was still living in Nottingham.

The BBC should look into improving their infrastructure before they lose more appeal due to this. I'm not sure I would buy the whole 'we need both for Forest due to the North side not be able to tune in'. Better still, why don't they just cover home games and be fair to be clubs? 

• Content Count:  358
  • Days Won:  4

Think this is the thin end of the wedge, they tried a few years ago to dump Notts, and I feel at the end of this season or next they will announce audience figures for DAB not high enough to consider extending the commentary and set it aside for usual programme. Feel best option would be for away games to be broadcast on FM station and home games on digital, this way I feel it may increase the home attendances maybe not by thousands but any extra bums on seats is always a bonus.

Archived