Is this squad a promotion winning side?

AmericanPie

I have listened to the latest Pride of Nottingham PONcast.

@samwatto2008 said that he believes the squad is a promotion winning side, the quality added to the bulk of last seasons squad did have fans excited during the pre-season. Do you feel Notts could get there?

I realise some members might not want to get carried away but if you listen to the PONcast, Sam's right about the league table and how early it still is. If the form continues Notts could see themselves in the upper half of the table and this would make it all to play for. I whole heatedly agree that Notts needs to stay grounded but that dream of achieving something positive could spur the side to click successfully.

First things first - Lincoln and Exeter are gone. They will finish top two.

This team has got the talent in there to succeed. There is goals, there is creativity. There is now (eventually) defenders who can actually defend. There is a young manager who is hungry for success. He is a good tactician from what I've seen so far and is an alright motivator. We have shown we can do the ugly side of the game against Macclesfield and we have shown we can pass it a little bit (Crawley, Northampton etc). 

We still need additions, no doubt. We need a centre midfielder, a target man striker and a backup GK.

Newport will drop off (Carlisle style, have a bad turn of form but still sneak in). MK it depends on whether Tisdale can get the job done which he never has been able to recently. Colchester you just don't know which one will turn up. FGR draw too many games. 

I think though MK will just pip ColU to third. Notts will finish 5th and face Newport in the play-offs.

There have been plenty of sides in the past that have been bottom and near bottom in the first couple of months (Barnsley a couple of years ago) and ended up having incredible runs to get promoted and I think we have a chance of that. The key is to get ourselves into the top 9/10 by the turn of the year, then sign another midfielder and a target man that really improves the side. If we do that, then I can see us getting into the play offs and (this time) having the form to finish it at Wembley.

Bringing anybody in though, may be subject to a few going out.

agree with @Fozzy However for every seller there has to be a buyer? How many of our player "surplus" will others want at their current wages? A midfieldking pin in the role of a Bishop / O'Connor  may not be available in January...but the search to find one should be on now. I would even ask Juventus if  their is someone we could have on loan 

I think the squad is capable of promotion but there's still along way to go.

I feel any improvements can be made with time, right now there needs to be desire to go into every game knowing how to play and wanting to get the maximum points possible from each match. I think there's a lot of good things about the squad and I felt it was only confidence effecting them, as most people said that first win was too much for the defenders we had at the time.

As a result Ross placed his head into the ground.

Thankfully this has all changed and hard work seems to be paying off. Notts are finally starting to look like a decent League Two team.

From the start I’ve said yes it is I believe with all my heart this is a promotion winning side. I’ll bet my season ticket on it .. they are showing they can play and defend (finely) and keep a clean sheet. So yeah this is and yes we can .. League one we are coming for you ..!!!!!!!!!

The squad certainly has talent and there's plenty of the season to go. And one of the comforting things about League Two is that you don't actually have to be very good to finish seventh!

I can certainly see us reaching the sunny side of the table by Christmas, but at the minute we're 20th and have had an enforced break just when we got into our stride. Hopefully we can pick up where we left off, and hopefully the Kewell revolution can keep going after we've had a setback or two.

Supporter+

Looks like the question should be “is the squad good enough to stay in league 2”.

Supporter+
11 hours ago, TheSkipper said:

What happened to being excited?? :unsure:

That was last week. :rollonfloorlaughing:

Archived