Who would you rather have in goal for Notts?

CliftonMagpie

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

Ross Fitzsimons or Ryan Schofield?

I stand by my comments that Schofield doesn't get praised for the difference he makes, whilst some made comments that if we didn't sign a keeper in January, Notts would end up relegated. This seems to have been forgotten, football is such a fickle sport. If Fitzsimons starts on Saturday and concedes 3 or more, I am sure excuses would be made.

"It was a big game", "He had no defence". "Difficult game with too much pressure." or "He's not played for awhile."

Where's I do feel many who voice negatives against Schofield are just being petty or critical.

Scholfield isn't a cult hero, he's done nothing to warrant that but he's helped to improve things. The cult hero status was Fitzsimons last season when mindless people wanted Adam Collin replaced [only to want him back this season]. Fickle sport as I said.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I would keep schofield in goal, hes been playing much better than Fitzsimons did. Although Fitzsimons wasnt the whole issue because the whole team wasn't playing well enough and the moral was very low, where as now its much higher and the new signings have helped alot.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I understand why this is being said and asked, however it shouldn’t be a question.

Ross Fitzsimons has seemed to struggle with confidence, I feel sorry for him and yes he's had little protection at times. He's not helped himself either and no confidence was there for me. When you feel a keeper will concede, this must be felt throughout the squad too and even to the man himself. I watched a lot of goals recently, many of which is down to poor position, bad handling and a lack of confidence.

I don't dislike Ross, I think he's a good guy and I would wish him well.

I wouldn't even go as far as saying I would prefer him being let go, I think a keepers there and Mark Crossley might not be the right person to get the best out of him.

Ryan Schofield deserves to start, he's done well and I do feel there's an element of bringing down certain performers for the sake of it. I don't know why there would be any sort of suggestion that he's a cult hero but I do recall Ross Fitzsimons playing in the cup last season and all of sudden people wanted him to start. Most of which don't seem to say this after this poor season.

Sign a keeper in the summer to give him competetion and go again, if he doesn't take that chance then this question will be pretty obvious in hindsight.

Schofield must start games, you lose games without confidence in your keeper and I'm sorry I have seen plenty to suggest this and I heard it too.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

@cheeky~k8 is right.

The squad are playing well, changing the keeper when your starting to find the form required to survive relegation is a risky thing. Neal Ardley gave Ross Fitzsimons a chance after the debut of Ryan Schofield and he blew it. I would start Ryan for every game until the end of the season.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  142
  • Days Won:  0

If anyone suggests Ross Fitzsimons should start, they either don't attend games, are trolls/windup merchants or totally clueless.

Does this answer the question? 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

What? People seriously think the goal tally Ross Fitzsimons has racked up is only a reflection on the poor defence? He's part of the reason the forms increased, the fact the handless man is nowhere the starting lineup.

Ryan Schofield all day long.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

7 minutes ago, BigMag said:

If anyone suggests Ross Fitzsimons should start, they either don't attend games, are trolls/windup merchants or totally clueless.

Does this answer the question? 

100% agree with you.

ryan schofield deserves to be in goal, hes done well and has shown real maturity when hes started. i still feel if ross fitzsimons gets anywhere near the pitch, notts will lose and relegation would be looming again.

• Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

It would be easier to discuss if Richard Duffy should return despite this being a firm NO from me.

It's the same answer for Ross Fitzsimons.

Ryan Schofield deserves his place for me and I wonder who the players would want to start? I think it would be the same as many fans and not because people dislike Ross, more because he hasn't impressed or done enough from the starts he's been given.

Fitzsimons needs more training and not in the first team.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Couldn't agree more @Super_Danny_Allsopp. It's been proved that Fitzsimons is suspect under the high ball as most of the goals we have conceded have probably come from crosses and set pieces. Not saying he is totally to blame as the full backs and centre halves have to share some of that, but probably the biggest job of a keeper is to command the box and defence in front of him. 

I would always go for a commanding keeper over a good shot stopper if I had to.

• Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

34 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Couldn't agree more @Super_Danny_Allsopp. It's been proved that Fitzsimons is suspect under the high ball as most of the goals we have conceded have probably come from crosses and set pieces. Not saying he is totally to blame as the full backs and centre halves have to share some of that, but probably the biggest job of a keeper is to command the box and defence in front of him. 

I would always go for a commanding keeper over a good shot stopper if I had to.

At this level, a lot more chances are created by balls being flung in the box, rather than silky passing to create a one-on-one or prominent shooting position, so I agree. 

• Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

No contest in my opinion. Schofield has been coached properly From an early age and it shows in his attitude. 

Yes the defence has been transformed which may have helped Fitz but nothing can be left to chance we must stick with the new players that have given us a chance of survival.

He also has a better defence around him not relied upon as much.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

Ryan Schofield, he's more reliable and he does offer much more than some see.

Archived