Manager Sol Campbell has left League Two side Macclesfield Town by mutual consent

cheeky~k8

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

read the full article here

Manager Sol Campbell has left League Two side Macclesfield Town by mutual consent after eight months in charge.

The 44-year-old former England defender took over in november 2018 with the Silkmen bottom of League Two.

Campbell kept them in the English Football League thanks to a run of just two defeats in their final 10 games.

"Macclesfield Town gave me a great beginning in the managerial side of the game and fantastic learning curve which I am truly grateful for," he said.

"I would like to thank all the players and staff for their support during my time at the Moss Rose and also all the loyal fans, whose belief at the end of last season ultimately played a tangible role in our success."

Campbell began his managerial career four years after describing the lack of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) managers in English football.

Following his appointment, Campbell said he had before he eventually landed the job at Macclesfield.

His departure, which Macclesfield said had been agreed "in the most amicable of ways", is the first managerial exit from any club in England's top four divisions this season.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,356
  • Days Won:  1

He won't do himself any favours, he would have known what he was taking on and that Macclesfield hadn't got the funds due to financial difficulties. I suspect he's just trying to jump ship whilst his managerial stock is at its highest, I can't see many taking him on.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Honestly, I don't blame him for resigning, but I do feel it's narrow minded of someone who moans about not 'getting a chance' due to his skin colour and who has earned millions from the game.

He could have done his career the world of good by remaining and keeping them up again, yet he's decided against this.

Despite my own skepticism he did very well last season, much to the dismay of Notts. Can people bash him for leaving? No, yet I do think for someone so desperate to be a manager it wouldn't have harmed him if he had remained for the season. Imagine if he was able to get a good cup run or push them on to the playoffs, they've not been playing badly. It could have aided his career more than what the wages are actually worth, as it could have steered him in good stead with bigger teams on a weaker budget than those around them.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

1 hour ago, Countyman said:

He won't do himself any favours, he would have known what he was taking on and that Macclesfield hadn't got the funds due to financial difficulties. I suspect he's just trying to jump ship whilst his managerial stock is at its highest, I can't see many taking him on.

I suspect you might be right there. Macclesfield are having financial difficulties - they are facing a winding-up order supported by HMRC and three former players in a few weeks, so it could well be that he can see trouble ahead and doesn't want his record to be tainted. Sol did a good job last season, no question, I didn't think he had it in him. But resigning two games into the new season leaves an impression of a celeb manager brought in to do a firefighting job, who then drifted off when it suited him.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

i thought he had found a club a bit higher up when i first read that he had left, i dont blame him for leaving but anyone in football knows macclesfield are struggling financially so it just baffles you as to why he took on the job in the first place.

most inexperienced managers want to progress and learn, he could afford to do that.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

If it keeps him away from the media and TV, I can only see it has a good thing.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

Macclesfield are a tinpot club, they should never have hired Sol Campbell if they knew full well that they couldn't honour his wages, there are ways to go about this type of thing and I for one side with Sol over his decision to leave.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  884
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see why him leaving when he hasn't been paid for 4 months would put other clubs off, I think it's more his attitude and divine right to being employed simply because he was once an international footballer. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  274

Sol Campbell is a *** but he should have walked from them, I don't think they will find someone who can do the job as he did. He seemed to use his playing experience to lift his squad.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  310

I don't really care about either the club or Sol Campbell, he's yesterdays chip paper. I am surprised Leigh Curtis hasn't tried turning this onto something Notts County related.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I think some teams should take a look at Sol Campbell, TBF he did okay with Macclesfield.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I can see both sides, most people wouldn’t stay where they’re not bad ring paid. Nobody knows the discussions, if promises had been made. At the same time, I do feel he could have given them a bit longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived