PiesPlayer is it worth it?

AmericanPie

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I wonder how many PON members use the PiesPlayer.

Features
Live audio commentary of all league matches
Full league match replays*
Extended match highlights
Interviews and features
Full pre-match press conferences
Behind the scenes content
Post-match interviews

Is it worth it? Will I get the live coverage in America? Is it available on a mobile?

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

You should be able to get radio commentary over in America and yes, its on mobile. The apps called iFollow, I can't tell you if its worth it.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This trigger my curiosity, as I had a subscription for a number of seasons but it declined so much that the best content ended up on YouTube for free and bloated interviews which wasn't worth sitting through made their way onto the service.

It really annoyed me, because the fee then was a lot more than it stands now.

You could connect to other clubs services too, which was great value for money but from the Notts stance it just wasn't worth it.

@KB1862 asked me about this and those I know who used it, have all said they've dropped it. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  739
  • Days Won:  3

It might be worthwhile for you @AmericanPie, for UK residents its not.

You can get most of the content free on YouTube and I think the media team has started to put some of it out on social media now, for commentary it could be. I don't think you will be able to get that elsewhere.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

It's much better for league games when we (hopefully) get promoted because then the live streaming and full replays kick in rather than the stupid Vanarama league rules.

There is another fred starting here on the annoyance of the non-league stuff!

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

£4 vs. Free content on YouTube.

It depends if you feel the money benefits the club and if the content is worth it.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I'm still umming and arring about it because the value seems good and even though there's free content on YouTube the app could be more convenient?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

No i havent used it but now most videos and news are online, so there isn't really much need for it to me.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

not sure but the money must help notts a bit, i would be tempted if the club put out more interviews and stuff.

• Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

Fans can listen to commentary anywhere in the world on the BBC website. Here you are

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-guide

Scroll across to find Notts v whoever 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The PiesPlayer isn't amazing value, its okay but you might as well sub to the YouTube channel and try @4everapie's suggestion.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I've been using it for quite a while now. The live commentary (from Radio Nottingham) is very handy, and you can play it on your phone with the screen switched off, so there's no need to be glued to your PC. The extended highlights are about ten minutes long (compared to the 2 or 3 minutes the club puts on its YouTube page) and also include Radio Nottingham commentary, BUT for league matches you have to wait till Monday to see footage. This is due to the Bananarama League's highly restrictive broadcasting deal with BT Sport. Full matches are on there too, but I never feel motivated enough to watch one once I already know the result. I don't bother with the interviews, there are plenty of them floating around social media for free (and I prefer my footballers to do their talking on the pitch).

When we were in the Football League (sob) the service was called iFollow. It was a lot more expensive (about 120 quid compared to 30 now), but included live streaming of every match for overseas fans. Now that was a godsend.

@4everapie I tried listening to commentary on Radio Nottingham a while back, but it was geoblocked - coverage is taken off at 3pm sharp and replaced with a standard message. I imagine this is still the case now as the BBC actually sells its coverage, but I might give it a try on Saturday in the spirit of experimentation.

• Content Count:  363
  • Days Won:  0

I have often considered joining up to the service, but I have never proceeded as it never looked like the club did much with it.

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

I've been using it for quite a while now. The live commentary (from Radio Nottingham) is very handy, and you can play it on your phone with the screen switched off, so there's no need to be glued to your PC. The extended highlights are about ten minutes long (compared to the 2 or 3 minutes the club puts on its YouTube page) and also include Radio Nottingham commentary, BUT for league matches you have to wait till Monday to see footage. This is due to the Bananarama League's highly restrictive broadcasting deal with BT Sport. Full matches are on there too, but I never feel motivated enough to watch one once I already know the result. I don't bother with the interviews, there are plenty of them floating around social media for free (and I prefer my footballers to do their talking on the pitch).

When we were in the Football League (sob) the service was called iFollow. It was a lot more expensive (about 120 quid compared to 30 now), but included live streaming of every match for overseas fans. Now that was a godsend.

@4everapie I tried listening to commentary on Radio Nottingham a while back, but it was geoblocked - coverage is taken off at 3pm sharp and replaced with a standard message. I imagine this is still the case now as the BBC actually sells its coverage, but I might give it a try on Saturday in the spirit of experimentation.

@DangerousSausage

BBC Sounds app is the easiest way forward for full match commentary.

That or navigate to the bbc football page, then into non league. Shows links to all commentary games, every league match, anywhere in the world.

No Geo-blocking this season. I assume due to non-league. I suppose that’s the one good thing!!!

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

I tried it for a season a few years ago, the content was a bit more frequent and not out on the same day mostly. I think the production value is better now, but I just stick to YouTube and save money.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

21 hours ago, hissingdwarf said:

@DangerousSausage

BBC Sounds app is the easiest way forward for full match commentary.

That or navigate to the bbc football page, then into non league. Shows links to all commentary games, every league match, anywhere in the world.

No Geo-blocking this season. I assume due to non-league. I suppose that’s the one good thing!!!

I don't think the club should be putting the commentary as a reason to purchase the PiesPlayer.

13 hours ago, BromPie said:

I don't think the club should be putting the commentary as a reason to purchase the PiesPlayer.

I can understand it when league rules and club agreements with the radio stations means at 3pm all you get is a recorded message basically saying “nice try mate. It ain’t happening!”

But this season when it is clearly free and available from the bbc app or their website, then I agree. 
Hence me saying the vale of the product this year is minimal.

When live streaming kicks back in, hopefully next season when we’ve been promoted, then fair play to them.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  884
  • Days Won:  1

The price has never seemed worth it to me, even the discounted price now seems more a blatant attempt at pushing something out there that most fans would barely use due to other platforms. 

• Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

26 minutes ago, KB1862 said:

@hissingdwarf does the BBC sounds app play live commentary or is there a delay online?

BBC sounds only plays the pre match build up then disconnects before k.o

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

If commentary is free online now, then the only real selling point of PiesPlayer is the extended highlights and the match replays. If you watch them, it's still fair value at less than 50p a week. If you don't, save the money.

3 hours ago, KB1862 said:

@hissingdwarf does the BBC sounds app play live commentary or is there a delay online?

No delay at all.

@4everapie I’ve had it on working fine this season?

Another easy way is to navigate straight to the NL page on BBC sport page and they list all the commentary games and you can click directly on the Radio red one. Works fine.

When we’ve been away I’ve done this and it’s a godsend, including in Lanzarote at the beginning of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league

Archived