Match Discussion: FA Cup Qualifying - The Lambs (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

FA Cup Qualifying - The Lambs (A)

Team: Tamworth

Date: 16/10/2021

Where: The Lamb Ground

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

i have a good feeling about the game, as it should be a nice away day for fans and i think the spirit of the fa cup will give notts some excitement. i mean, if notts was at home i think tamworth would be treating it like their cup final already.

it sounds like we will be making a few changes though, which might inject some life and fight i think.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Patterson

Brindley Brennan Cameron Chicksen

Vincent

Nemane    O'Brien        Rodrigues

Roberts

Mitchell

I think we should be fine to allow Wootton to sit this one out, leave him on the bench if we must but priority needs to be on the league fixtures.

If Taylor is fit, start him ahead of Chicksen but from what I have read it seems unlikely that he will be able to make the start. Palmer is another player who I would like to see reserved for the league, as we don't want to risk anything happening to him as he's best midfielder at Notts right now.

Edited by CliftonMagpie

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

I suspect one or two changes, but nothing that will rest most of the key players.

Matt Palmer is important to get the ball moving forward, I don't see Ian Burchnall resting him. I do feel we should consider giving some a rest, Kairo Mitchell could lead the attack, but I do not see him as a goal scoring threat.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I would rather Ian Burchnall start off with a strong squad, then rest players like Kyle Wootton, Ruben Rodrigues, Matty Palmer.

They can come off once the job is done.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

If Notts were well drilled at this point, I think Tamworth would be quite routine to play.

That said, I can see them causing us problems

Defensively, Notts need to start strong and have their players under watchful eyes. If we can't win the ball back, just ensure we protect the keeper, block, cover and attack with a real sense of threat. I think the quality is there for Notts to enjoy a good performance.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

3 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

Patterson

Brindley Brennan Cameron Chicksen

Vincent

Nemane    O'Brien        Rodrigues

Mitchell

That is very generous of you to give them a game against 10 men! 😁😆

• Haha 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  310
  • Days Won:  0

All I am going to say, is prepare for a meltdown if Tamworth end up getting the better of Notts.

• Content Count:  562
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Go with the attention to win, don't send out a weaker team as this could come back into league games.

There's nothing as good as winning games back to back, or even starting off a good run in the cup. 3-0 Notts is my prediction, Wootton, Roberts and Cameron.

• Love 1

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Tamworth's glory days of the National League and Gary Mills are over, they play at the same level a Hornchurch now.

Theoretically we should have too much for them, but we've been knocked out of our stride lately and will be nervous. Whoever we field will need to keep a cool head and let their quality show, otherwise it could be a long afternoon.

As for the team, I expect some different names to be given some match practice, Vincent being a prime candidate.

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

21 hours ago, menzinho said:

That is very generous of you to give them a game against 10 men! 😁😆

I missed Roberts off. 😂😂

• Like 2

i think it will be a clean win for notts, my prediction would be 2-0.

goals coming from roberts and lacey.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Hit them early, it could be a good game with plenty of chances.

Allow them to control the game, then we might make a real game of it. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing what happens on the pitch. I am hoping Jim O'Brien makes a start, as I think he will get in behind Tamworth and make it tricky for them.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

@DangerousSausage I think tomorrow is a good chance to see what Vincent has to offer, we haven't seen much of him and if Notts progresses further in the cup. Ian Burchnall will need to mix things up, know who can come on and make an impact.

• Content Count:  739
  • Days Won:  3

The performance doesn't matter to me, to progress to the next round would is all that does.

Notts needs to play with confidence and be clinical on goal.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

By the sounds of what some fans feel on social media, we'll be sending out a squad that is bare-bones compared to regular starters - with suggestions that all of our key players will be rested. This can't and, shouldn't happen.

Firstly, it would be an insult to Tamworth to throw out a squad where our quality isn't in depth.

I agree, that we need to explore options to rest 3/4 players perhaps, but it can't all be from our attacking options.

Secondly, if we lose, some fans will berate the squad selection (it might even happen before kick off).

Thirdly, we need some quality up there, we can't just throw a squad out that rests a silly amount of players - it's got to be players that require it more than anything.

If Aaron Nemane starts, we might be able to rest Cal Roberts or Ruben Rodrigues.

I wouldn't rest all three of them for the sake of it.

Kyle Wootton mostly will fall onto the bench if he's dropped, in order to rest - I can't imagine Ian Burchnall risking leaving a goal scorer out completely.

Matt Palmer is the only midfielder who carries the ball in a way that gets Notts forward when we hit blockages, part of me hopes he isn't one who is rested.

Having said all this, Ian Burchnall might just throw a largely unchanged squad. 😂

I think Notts will win 3-0, Wootton, Lacey and Nemane to score.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I think Wootton will be rested. It would be foolish to rest most of the first team IMO. I think Notts will win but wouldn't be surprised if it ended in a draw. 

13 hours ago, Chris said:

By the sounds of what some fans feel on social media, we'll be sending out a squad that is bare-bones compared to regular starters - with suggestions that all of our key players will be rested. This can't and, shouldn't happen.

There's a bit of a balancing act here. If we make too many changes, it looks like we're not taking the opposition seriously. We shouldn't be making 9 or 10 changes. On the other hand, a bit of rotation would give some of our squad players the chance to show what they can do and could even result in a better performance. Players like Vincent, Sam and Mitchell have a point to prove and were brought in to get us back into the League - they aren't raw youth team players. Vincent in particular needs match practice. But rotation works better when the players who are being brought in and grafted onto an established spine rather than throwing together 11 players who have never played together before, so I'd hope to see Cameron, JOB et al in there too.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Listened on the radio. 

Think it's quite obvious that we still haven't replaced Dennis/Thomas. Too many times are we cutting it back to nobody and taking too many touches in the box. You have Rodrigues and Roberts that both try and do the same thing - pick up the ball in front of the opposition defensive line. It's easy to defend against when they don't have to worry about anybody running beyond them, they rush out in numbers and close down those players on the 18 yard box knowing full well that nobody will run behind them. Wootton is a good player and gets you goals, but clinical finisher he is not. Mitchell, well I'm not quite sure what he is.

Oh for a Tshimanga. I know we say we aren't looking at the 'obvious' more expensive options, but clinical strikers that score goals will always demand good money. 

• Like 1

Was out and about yesterday so didn't tune in this time, so my view isn't worth much. But in general, we've placed all our bets on Wootton and the two Rs. If they have a poor day or the opposition susses us out, we haven't got much else. And that would appear to be why we've got ourselves a bit of completely unnecessary fixture congestion, with a plum tie against Rochdale the reward.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

Notts must do better at Meadow Lane in the returning replay, 0-0 isn't something to moan about but to be defensively good, does Notts lack the grit to go and score? Its almost Ricardo Moniz esq.

the positives are that notts did not lose or concede but its games that should be ended at the first opportunity. if we had got into the next round and found rochdale tough, fair enough but tamworth is a team i feel notts should be winning.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  368
  • Days Won:  1

Did any 1 notice Eli Sam and his horrific last minute miss kick.... No Puskas award for that..... He should have won the game for us...