Match Discussion: Game 42 - The Stones (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,280
  • Days Won:  80

Game 42 - The Stones (H)

Team: Wealdstone

Date: 07/04/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I can't wait for this game; it should hopefully set up the Wrexham game nicely.

Imagine if Halifax manage to cause an upset, and we pick up a win, to bridge back some of that gap between us and Wrexham. If it happened, it would make the Easter Monday game all the more entertaining. We can wish and hope for this to happen.

I hope this game will be quite normal, if we pass the ball around and do not have to change halves at the start, we will have a good attacking game in the second half.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  18,280
  • Days Won:  80

On what would have been Jason Turner’s seven-year anniversary at the club, we have confirmed plans to honour him at Friday’s match against Wealdstone.

We tragically lost our much-loved CEO last week and have been inundated with tributes from friends and colleagues in football and beyond.

A book of condolence will be in our club shop all week, presenting supporters with the opportunity to leave a personal mark of respect.

And our Good Friday fixture will give the club and fans the opportunity to come together in Jason's memory.

The following tributes have been confirmed:

Commemorative matchday programme
Both teams to wear special warm-up t-shirts and black armbands
Tribute flag on display in the Kop
Pre-match minute’s applause

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/april/jason-turner-matchday-tributes-040423/

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

talk of the wealdstone raider again. 🤦🏻‍♂️

i hope we smash them and he leaves meadow lane asking his own fans if they want some. 😂

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Over their last five games, they've lost three and only drawn one. They're going through a rough patch. It's not my style to criticise teams, but they're a bit unpredictable. They have the ability to fight back, to lead with ease and make it tough for their opponents, but they can also crumble and collapse in a way that makes it difficult to predict which side will show up against Notts.

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I don't expect Wealdstone to be an easy opponent like Southend. They work well as a team and even in matches where they struggle, they don't give up easily. Usually, their downfall is their own mistakes, but they always give their all. They have the potential to score goals and make it tough for their opponents. However, like any team in this league, the match will be decided by which team wants it the most.

If Wealdstone scores early, it could create more problems for Notts. The key will be for Notts to tighten up at the back and prevent Wealdstone from getting back into the game. On the other hand, if Notts manages to score first, they must be vigilant and avoid any lapses in concentration that could allow Wealdstone to get back in the game.

This is a crucial match for Notts, one that could put more pressure on Wrexham or end their chances of winning the league title. Notts must come out strong and show their determination to win. With Wealdstone's unpredictable form, it's hard to know what to expect, but if Notts play to their strengths, they can come away with a vital victory.

• Like 7

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

We can't be taking anything for granted with this game. 

I hope though, we get all the points. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Luke Williams has cautioned that the team they will face is not the same as the one they encountered earlier, and Friday's game will verify if this is true. Other teams can attempt to imitate Notts County's tactics, but it remains to be seen how effectively they can execute them. Personally, I don't believe that they are an outstanding team. However, playing at Meadow Lane may work to our advantage due to our supporters' backing and the momentum that comes with performing in front of the Pavis, Kop, and Family stands.

It may not be as high-scoring as before, but I anticipate seeing Notts County do well, whilst they struggle to prevent us from scoring three goals. I'm hoping that Langstaff, in particular, will score a brace, adding to his already impressive tally. Additionally, the team's ability to reproduce their previous performances in light of the opposition's changes will be intriguing to observe. It is necessary to note that every game is distinct, and teams must consistently perform at their best to succeed. Nonetheless, with the home advantage, our team has the potential to dominate Friday's match.

• Like 3

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

Notts County has the potential to reach the 100-point milestone, which would further reinforce how fantastic the 2022/23 season has been for the club. This achievement would be a fitting tribute to the club's devoted fans who have sadly passed away, including the recent loss of Jason Turner.

The team must maintain their excellent form and continue to perform at their best to reach this significant milestone. It would undoubtedly be a proud moment for the club and a testament to their hard work and dedication.

To achieve this goal, it's crucial that key players such as Matt Palmer, Ruben Rodrigues, and Adam Chicksen are at their very best. These players have played a significant role in the club's success this season and will be instrumental in securing the remaining points needed to reach the 100-point milestone.

It's important to acknowledge the significant losses that the club and its fans have endured this year. However, reaching the 100-point mark would be a positive step forward for the club and a way to honour those who have passed away. We look forward to seeing the team's continued success and celebrating this achievement with the rest of the Notts County community.

• Like 5

i dont think they will throw much at us, i know some think they have things to play for but really i doubt they will secure a playoff space. i dont want to talk them down to much, but there is a reason why we did so well against them at their ground, i think our confidence is growing again and a good performance would unite the belief that this season is ours for gaining promotion. automatic promotion may not be likely but i am confident about the playoffs.

games like this must become routine for us to finish with a win.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

Mate, there's just no comparison between how Notts County plays and them. Yeah sure, they can perform well sometimes, but they're just your typical National League team. Like seriously, take a look at their results against Chesterfield and even Scunthorpe - can you honestly tell me that they played well? Nah mate, they got absolutely battered by both teams, and let's be real here, Scunthorpe are a very poor team.

It's just a fact that Notts County are on a whole other level compared to them. They've got the talent, the tactics, and the overall ability to dominate on the pitch. I mean, have you seen the way they've been playing lately? It's just pure class.

But hey, I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion, right? Some people just can't see the obvious.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

As long as the players don't do anything foolish, give their all, and manage to avoid losing, I will be extremely pleased! From where I stand, it doesn't look like the match will be too challenging.

On 04/04/2023 at 15:47, magpiejue said:

We can't be taking anything for granted with this game. 

I hope though, we get all the points. 

i dont think we can, as teams can spring a surprise or just perform better than us but i think we are in good form right now.

fingers crossed we can get those points.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  531

Notts is a football team that has shown better performance when they play in a straightforward and aggressive style that allows them to identify the vulnerabilities of the opposing team. It would be advantageous if they occasionally take long-range shots at the goal while avoiding excessive passing or trying to penetrate the opponent's defence too much. Notts has demonstrated that they can excel when they press for a chance, but if the opposing team decides to park the bus and defend the goal area with several players, it may be easier to attempt a shot from outside the box.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  562
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Well, from what I've seen of Wealdstone, they look like a team that pulls together but nothing particularly special. Luke Williams seems to be doing the right thing by not underestimating them, but I reckon it should be an easy win.

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

It's not as much of a guessing game anymore. I reckon Notts are a lot more determined now, and under Luke Williams, the squad has been relentless in pressuring teams at times. I just hope it's not one of those off days. We need to see a determined Notts County. Although I think Wrexham have the title in the bag, I'd like to see the club break 100 points and finish the season as strongly as possible.

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I think Wealdstone are one of the few part-time teams in this league. They might be nothing special, but they are punching well above their weight and can no doubt give us a game if we're not on it. We just have to carry on doing our thing and hope for a good set of results to take us to Easter Monday.

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

That went pretty well for us, didn't it?

Even watching the live stream, the tributes to Jason Turner were very visible and superbly done.

On the pitch, the difference in quality was there for all to see, but that was to be expected. We should really have scored for - Langstaff could have had a hat trick today.

But the best thing was Wrexham's result. If we follow this up with a win at their place, it's in our hands. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

On what was a very emotional day we did what we needed to do and luckily for us Halifax decided to make the title race a little bit closer.

This game could’ve been a potential slip-up, you could see on the faces of the players and staff during the interviews this week it’s been really tough for them but they channelled their emotions incredibly well and put in another great performance, one we’ve been so used to seeing this season. Agree we could’ve had more goals, some impressive performances and pleased to see Vinny on the scoresheet too. It seems his loan was beneficial and he’s looking re-energised for us now even in a unfamiliar role, could he be a potential challenger for Chicksen next season?

Don’t get me wrong it’s great the results today went perfectly but it means I’m even more nervous about Monday and even more desperate for us to get a win! This is some season.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't think I can write a single commentary word about Wealdstone, they're quite clearly punching above their weight and looked extremely boring to watch. They really didn't turn up and, I honestly expected better from them. Defensively, they were all over the place and instead of clearing the danger they would just put the ball out to the nearest possible point. This doesn't remove pressure; it asserts it and gives the team you're playing more time to pressure you.

Notts could've had at least 5 goals in the first half and, I think I may have one slightly backhanded comment for them.

Sam Howes pulled off a couple of fantastic saves, yet his whole attitude stunk and quite early on - I shouted "Alright, Joe Hart. Calm down." He was probably the best part of their performance as otherwise they looked like a team in the Sunday league.

Our pressure and ball retrieval were relentless. The other team was so clumsy in possession that even Maculay Langstaff managed to steal the ball for our first goal. Sam Austin deserved and executed the goal brilliantly. He could've had a second not long after if it wasn't for Howes saving the effort.

Wealdstone are clearly doing something right to be where they are in the league and, I hoped I would see a glimmer of that. Perhaps they're just in a spell of poor form? I don't know about that, but they were rubbish from start to finish, and I feel they're one of the poorest teams we've played at home. A lot worse than Southend, Scunthorpe United or Maidstone United combined.

My man of the match would've been Jodi Jones or maybe Matt Palmer.

• Like 3

i think they buckled on the occasion and just struggled with how quickly notts would press. on the ball we made it very difficult for them to move it or get it forward without lumping it forward. every time they seemed to smash the ball away, it seemed to go to one of our players and the pressure would just come back. i think the first mistake they made was switching which way we attacked, i think they would have a better 45 minutes if they had the family stand behind them instead of the kop.

that said notts were just determined to get the result and i think langstaff deserved a brace. his effort that hit the post, i thought that had gone in.

it was a very good home win which sets up monday against wrexham nicely. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  882

Could the day have gone any better for Notts County? Halifax will have a number of grateful Magpie fans wishing them well from here on, and if they're the team that gives us the unthinkable chance of winning the title, we'll be all the more grateful for their 3-1 win over Wrexham.

As for Notts yesterday, it was a routine victory, and I thought the players looked very eager to get the game underway and score an early goal. It was one of the best games of the season in terms of support, on-pitch performance, and everything else connected to the club. The atmosphere was electric, and everyone involved with the club was delighted with the result.

• Like 1