Macaulay Langstaff's Record: Retention Hurdle or Promotional Boost?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Macaulay Langstaff's recent record-breaking season, scoring an impressive 41 goals, has catapulted him into the national spotlight and earned him the nickname "Non-League Haaland". However, with such success comes speculation about his future at Notts County. Will he be the key to unlocking the Magpies' potential and help take the club to the next level, or will his record attract the attention of other clubs and make it harder for Luke Williams to retain him?

In this discussion, we'll explore the potential impact of Langstaff's success on Notts County and what the future may hold for this talented striker.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  1,713
  • Days Won:  36

We won't be able to hold onto him after this season, no matter which division we are in. The lad deserves a shot at playing higher, I just hope that we have a very healthy transfer clause written into his contract (if one at all) as I would not want to be selling him for less than 1 million. That would be very good business and would enable us to sign several quality replacements in other positions.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  128
  • Days Won:  0

I don’t think Langstaff will go anywhere next season, at least not until the later stages. I don’t doubt he will have interest but I feel they will monitor to see how he gets on with another campaign at Notts regardless if promotion is gained.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

its a bigger issue than losing wootton last season, we replaced him we'll and whilst its unlikely we will find anyone as good or better. we should still manage to retain scott and i feel he would thrive as the regular striker. i do hope we get to see langstaff have another season but we cant rule out a team offering silly money for him.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,506
  • Days Won:  287

Not sure what's going to happen this summer. Will he stay or will he go?

STAY:

- He's got two years of a three-year contract remaining, so the club isn't under pressure to sell.
- He will come with a hefty price tag. Only one League Two team will be able to afford it, and they tend to do their shopping in higher divisions. And League One and the Championship are a bit of a jump for a player just finishing his first NL season. We've just seen him struggle against L1-quality defenders - would he be too much of an expensive risk for clubs from that division?
- He knows the club and the manager and he's got a guaranteed starting spot with us. The conditions are in place for him to flourish with us.
- Hopefully he'll have the chance to step up into League Two and further his career with us.
- We're the greatest club in the world and he had Notts County quilt covers as a kid (might not be true).

GO:

- He's attracted nationwide attention as a prolific scorer with a scoring instinct. And strikers are always in demand.
- Million-pound transfers are no rarity in the Championship and League One nowadays. A huge transfer fee for us wouldn't be all that much for a club that's recently played in the Premier League.
- He's 26 and has spent virtually all his career in the National League North or the Northern Premier League. He's a latecomer to professional football and knows an offer from Middlesbrough would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  11

Promotion he'll stay simples

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

Nobody really knows for sure, we can only speculate, but I feel like he will have enjoyed his time here enough to want to stay for at least another season. He signed a three-year deal, so unless someone offers him stupid money, which would then be reinvested, I think he'll stick around. Whatever he decides, I'll respect it, but I believe both us and Langstaff have the potential to grow together. He seems smart enough to realise that he's building a legacy and a legendary status here while perfecting his craft.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

I think if we are still in this league next season the chances of him staying are slim, but I'm more than hopeful we'll be out of it and he'll be looking to continue his goal-scoring prowess in the EFL with us! 🙏🤞

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,368
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Macaulay Langstaff has enjoyed two successful seasons with us and, Gateshead. I believe he will stay for the next season even if sold towards the end, since he still has two seasons left on his contract.

Notts and Langstaff can grow together, so promotion is important.

I think the fact he sees that at Notts we have the foundations to be successful, and he has the ability to build on his current legacy. After the Wrexham game, I talked to some people about my thought that he might try to break the all-time goalscoring record. So, if we can get promoted this year, I think this will be something that motivates him. If we miss out, I think he will still stick around and try to get the club up.

I just don't think a club will throw the money required to sign him from us just yet and, the figure in my head isn't met, then I would be frustrated if we did let him go. Considering other players like Jamie Vardy have gone for more.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371
  • Days Won:  1

I believe it conflicts with both the positives and negatives, as his presence has evidently given us the edge on goal and the signing of him and Cadwyn Scott has been a significant achievement for the club. It is remarkable that we managed to bring two strikers from a newly promoted team, paying fees and allowing them the necessary time to acclimate to the club. It is astonishing to think that I was initially concerned when rumours emerged that Kyle Wootton wished to depart.

The club made a wise decision in disclosing that Macaulay Langstaff had signed before releasing the news of Wootton's exit. We all knew it was bound to happen, and we know that we are fortunate to have Langstaff for two seasons before another club attempts to acquire him. However, it is crucial that the club receives a fee this time around. The best course of action would be to offer him a one-year extension, endeavouring to obtain another season from him, and then assess the offers.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,713
  • Days Won:  36

8 minutes ago, Countyman said:

The best course of action would be to offer him a one-year extension, endeavouring to obtain another season from him, and then assess the offers.

I would be surprised if Langstaff agreed to sign an extension this summer, seeing as he will still have 2 years left on his contract already, but I may be wrong. I would also be surprised if there isn't a release clause in his contract, given that he had one at Gateshead.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,557
  • Days Won:  9

Did the club not extend Ruben Rodrigues' contract when he was being linked with other clubs, even though he had a fair bit of time remaining on his deal? It is both a positive and a negative to have such a good striker, but only time will tell if it will prove to be more of one and less of the other.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  916
  • Days Won:  3

Having a player like Macaulay Langstaff is simply marvellous, and it's a rare treat for young fans to see a first-class striker donning Notts colours. I believe the club must seize the opportunity while it's hot because retaining players like him is a challenge. However, persuading them to progress together, score goals, and make history can be enough to entice a player to stay a little longer. Langstaff has plenty more to offer Notts, and while joining a Championship or League One team might be enticing, it must be the right decision for him.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

Not only does it put Macaulay Langstaff on the map, but it also highlights many positives from the club's perspective. It demonstrates that we have innovative players, which may influence other prospective signings. It shows that the club is progressing, recruiting well and is a desirable location for talented upcoming players. I believe it will also impact the current players. Although I am not yet considering his departure, if he does leave, we should receive a premium that can be reinvested in the team.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  5

I think it's mostly good because the club needs to work with talent and develop them further in order to bring in revenue. I know Notts has said we're not a selling club, but we need to be. Whilst I think replacing Macaulay Langstaff would be difficult, at our level, there are loads of strikers who can score goals. When the time is right to allow him to move on, I would hope the records he has set will encourage higher bids. Until then, Notts needs to keep him happy and progress alongside him.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

If Notts fails to get promoted, then I would say it only benefits clubs who are seeking a potential goalscorer. He might give us another season, and the club might sell him to reinvest. There's no guarantee that he won't be sold if we do gain promotion to League Two. Just as we can only speculate that he will want to move if we don't. Nobody knows, but I think it's likely that we may get a bit longer, like a season and a half. From there, I wouldn't like to say, but he's a good player, and I can see him being an asset to any team from League One to the Championship. He might make it to the Premier League, but I can't see him making that move without further proving himself first.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

This is another excellent discussion filled with heaps of useful information. It's great! Everyone who has posted has given an articulate response which makes it very enjoyable to read. I think you have to take the mix when it comes to things like this. Obviously, nobody wants to lose a good striker, especially after all the woeful ones the club has had, but at the same time it's natural. I think the answer will only be known for sure once events unfold. If you're a glass-half-full person, you may see the benefits. If you're a glass-half-empty person, well, you may be more worried. I think the club is in safe hands, but it would be nice to see Langstaff stick it out for another season.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371
  • Days Won:  1

On 17/04/2023 at 15:02, Fozzy said:

I would be surprised if Langstaff agreed to sign an extension this summer, seeing as he will still have 2 years left on his contract already, but I may be wrong. I would also be surprised if there isn't a release clause in his contract, given that he had one at Gateshead.

Yes, I know, but whilst a player is enjoying his football, that gives you the best position to see a player extend their stay. I would have hoped that Notts would have foreseen that Macaulay Langstaff would become a very important player. Halfway into his two-year deal would be a good time to talk extensions, but if I ran the club, I would be trying to secure the best of our squad members for the long term as early as possible.