5,000th League game

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

To date, Notts have played 4,986 games in the Football League. So,  alongside all the nice things we have to look forward to like the Checkatrade Trophy and a trip to Crawley, next season will also see our 5,000th game in the League in about October. We won't be the first club to hit this milestone, but it would be great if the club made an event of this. Hopefully we're at home! 

By my reckoning we've also played 13 games in the playoffs, which would put us on 4,999. But I'm not sure you can count them.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Discounting cup games, how many games are there? Any ideas what it would be if we were to include them?

It's very interesting and something I need to note, so I can mention it via social media. Also, turning the milestone into an 'On this day'. I have been doing that with events, so we have more modern ones, along with missed items from before.

• Like 4

The EFL website has us on 4,986 Football League games @Chris, so that'll exclude cup games and probably the playoffs. So matchday 14 is the one to look out for. 

At times some of us have wondered whether we'd return to the League at all, so it would be good to see the club make a fuss of this! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

50,000 - wow! At first, I thought it might be more, but after thinking about it, it seems about right. I hope it’s against a good team so that the club can make a day of it and try to set a League Two attendance record. I’m not sure what that record is, but it sounds nice!

• Like 4

@CliftonMagpie, by my calculations, it'll take another 1,215 years before we hit 50,000 League games. I'll be around for that as I'm an immortal robot, but the rest of you won't 🤪

Jesting aside, I remember the 4,000th game, I think it was against Rochdale in Sam Allardyce's championship-winning season. I don't think we made a fuss of that, there was just a mention in the media. Crazy how time has flown.

By the way, Salford City are the only team in the League we haven't played against in a competitive league fixture (although we have in the cup, which is best forgotten about). Since they're not going up, we'll be one of a handful of teams to complete the full set next season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

That's going to be fun when we reach it. It's very impressive. It's a shame we dropped out of the Football League because we could be one of the highest teams to play. Aren't Manchester United near the top?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TheSkipper said:

That's going to be fun when we reach it. It's very impressive. It's a shame we dropped out of the Football League because we could be one of the highest teams to play. Aren't Manchester United near the top?

We were the first to reach 4,000, but Preston and a handful of other clubs have already beaten us to 5,000. Burnley, Wolves, Derby, Bolton and West Brom have also overtaken us. Blackburn have played two more than us so will hit 5,000 first, but we will overtake them again if they reach the Premier League in the near future. Likewise, we will close the gap on Burnley and Wolves the longer they stay in the PL, as they play 8 fewer fixtures. 

We had played the most games because we were the founder member that had spent the least time in the top flight. Which isn't that much to brag about if you think about it! 

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

@DangerousSausage why not turn this into a feature? first game, the 100 mark, 500 mark, 1000 mark etc. you reflect on where we were at each major milestone. i think it would be a brilliant feature if you thought you could.

its very impressive that we are not that far from hitting the 5,000 mark.

• Like 8

That's an interesting idea @liampie, I might just do that! 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

@DangerousSausage im begging you to do it, it will be a brilliant feature! 🙏🏻

i hope you would have the time. 🏴🏳

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

Nearly 5,000 games, eh? I can’t help but wonder how many of those were attended by the late, great Colin Slater. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was at least half of them - though I’m only joking, of course. I bet he knew more about the early days of Notts County than some of the players who donned our shirts! He is sorely missed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  2

That’s a great idea and I think it would make an excellent article. If you write it before reaching the milestone, it could go viral among Notts fans.

5,000 is a significant number of games. Would you like me to add the link to the EFL website?

I’m curious to see which other teams have played more or fewer games than us.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

It wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up being against Wrexham, Mansfield or Walsall.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  911
  • Days Won:  2

It would be great if the games played after reaching the 5,000 mark were better than most of those played by the club before that point. The current owners show a lot of potential to completely turn the club’s fortunes around.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  916
  • Days Won:  3

Remarkable! I would never have thought about this. It’s not something that many people would consider.

• Like 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

With the 5,000th game almost around the corner, perhaps promotion was written in the stars? It’s a very Notts thing to happen and the club should definitely celebrate it!

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371
  • Days Won:  1

As Notts County approaches its 5,000th game, it appears that destiny has played a hand in the club’s promotion. This momentous occasion is a hallmark event for the club and deserves to be celebrated with all the pomp and circumstance befitting such an achievement. The club and its supporters should revel in this accomplishment and look forward to continued success in the future.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  744
  • Days Won:  3

Notts County playing their 5,000th game is a huge milestone and a testament to the club’s rich history and tradition. It would be fantastic if this momentous occasion could be celebrated at home, in front of their loyal fans.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

An impressive milestone of 5,000 league games has recently been achieved. To put this into perspective, consider that players such as Albert Ironmonger participated in a significant number of matches. I am intrigued to see if anyone can identify 11 footballers who have accumulated high appearance totals, somewhat akin to a countdown. The aim is to determine a total that can be reached exclusively by considering the appearances made by these players, through methods such as multiplication or subtraction. I'm eager to know if any mathematics enthusiasts are up for this engaging challenge. Don't hesitate to join in, if you can solve this!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

What a fantastic achievement to get to 5000 matches.

This was our 5000th match, away to Gillingham. 21/10/23

Result Gillingham 1 Notts 2

Won by a Macari screamer.