Match Discussion: Game 6 - The 'Owd Reds (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,268
  • Days Won:  80

Game 6 - The 'Owd Reds (H)

Team: Accrington Stanley

Date: 02/09/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

accringtonstanley.png.5566b15344edaf0af3

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

This could be the most difficult game so far (discounting Sutton and Lincoln) I’m hoping our fighting spirit will see us through plus the fact that we are at home with the fans playing 12th man.

With Aaron Nemane and Jodie pumping crosses in the box I’m always confident of scoring but not so confident of not conceding. 3-2 would do me.

• Like 20

• Chris changed the title to Match Discussion: Game 6 - The 'Owd Reds (H)

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

They're a good team; they have a decent midfield with two very good creative outlets that work well for them in Shaun Whalley and Sean McConville. Whilst they might not have the true quality that others may process (like us), they have a real grit and strong understanding of what makes them work.

I would highly recommend fans give this a read, at least the bottom part mentioning who we have next - @TheSkipper has written about them superbly.

I think it's all about how the game starts, if we are confident and play as we did against Tranmere Rovers, I think Accrington Stanley will struggle. Yet either way the game may go, I believe they'll be the best opposition that we have faced at Meadow Lane. Defensively, we need to be calm and composed, with the players thinking about how each ball they play needs to be the perfect decision. Accington are a team that could pounce on our mistakes.

Whilst some would say they are an underdog of this league, with the team spirit of fighters.

Notts will know exactly what is needed, we need to match them with our intensity and control the game just by making neat passes. We'll get space, as will they. Notts just needs to make sure Aidan Stone is well protected and that we take any chances which fall our way.

It should be a very entertaining game. 

• Like 19
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  278
  • Days Won:  1

I hope this game proves that Notts are now established as a League Two team. Accrington Stanley will be intense in their play and approach the game wanting to get the win. I don’t foresee them sitting back. They should get stuck in and I am looking forward to another Saturday at Meadow Lane.

It should be a very good game, I agree.

• Like 18

• Content Count:  285
  • Days Won:  0

With Cedwyn Scott out, we may finally see what Junior Morias has to offer. I don’t expect many changes to the starting 11. Luke Williams should be encouraged by last Saturday’s performance and, where possible, avoid making changes. Tactically, Notts should be in a strong position because Accrington Stanley likes to have the ball themselves. Hopefully, Notts will enjoy the majority of it.

• Like 17

• Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Accrington Stanley may be the first in-form team Notts have played at Meadow Lane, but I have confidence in the squad to achieve a strong outcome. It may be a close game, but I will take a narrow win if that is what happens. Also, I don’t believe a draw would be all that bad; yes, ideally Notts would claim the points, but one point is better than none at all.

• Like 15

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I want Notts to go into the game and prove themselves. I don’t think Accrington Stanley should be a team we fear, especially at home. A good performance and result will be another bonus, especially after the opening game. I am hoping that Macaulay Langstaff can find the net, but as long as someone else scores for us, it will be all good.

• Like 18

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,502
  • Days Won:  9

Notts should do well against Accrington Stanley, they have a good side but it’s more a team built around the group of players and with very few standout stars. They work exceptionally well together, I give them that but Luke Williams must be excited about the potential of seeing his squad outperform one of the other teams tipped for promotion. Stanley might surprise me, but I feel safe enough to write this. I just want to see a good performance.

• Like 12

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Accrington Stanley have adapted well to life in League 2. They will push for promotion IMO. They are unbeaten in their last 3 games, including a very impressive 2-1 win at Salford in their last game. The Pies are very strong at home so it should be a fascinating game to watch. I don't see The Pies losing. I think it will end in a draw. 

• Like 11

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i dont know why, but i really feel sam austin would do well against them if given the chance.

something in my mind is saying that he will score and make it difficult for accrington, tho i dont see luke williams actually starting him even with cedwyn scott's injury, i think he will be on the bench and the formation similar to what we have seen recently.

stone

rawlinson brindley cameron

nemane   palmer bostock   jones

crowley mcgoldrick

langstaff

the team really does write itself, but i would be tempted to put mcgoldrick on the bench for austin, two reasons, firstly because when they tire he will be a huge threat and secondly because austin likes to find that space inside the oppositions half where teams put multiple players on to mark him. this is why i feel he could score, as he likes this type of game. only time will tell.

• Like 15

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

It very well might be a tough game and one that may be decided by a single goal, but if Notts plays the pretty attacking football we have seen lately, then I see no reason why Notts couldn’t score a few and impress. However, this does depend on how we cope with and handle them as a threat. I do think it’s a game that will showcase where we are right now, something to reflect on further once we are 10 games into the season. I would like to see Macaulay Langstaff score. I think Luke Williams is trying to take the pressure and criticism off him for not scoring by saying he brings more to the team. It’s true; he’s not just a goal scorer.

• Like 13

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

The current form of both teams is impressive, and they have a lot at stake if they do not emerge victorious. Notts must exercise caution and dictate the tempo of the game. Accrington is a formidable opponent, but so are we. I have a premonition that the match will end in a draw.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  616

It’s going to be a good game, but knowing how things are when you look forward to something, it won’t be. Notts just has to work the ball well, chances will come. I’m not worried that chances will be few and far between, but I fully expect Accrington to attempt to make it hard. We need Jodi Jones to be at his best!

• Like 8

• Content Count:  525

I suspect we will see the first glimpse of Junior Morias. I have hope that he will prove to be a valuable part of the squad. He hasn’t had much chance until now, so if Luke Williams decides to make changes which include him, it will be interesting to see how he does. Everything else is sort of to be expected. I do feel sorry for Sam Slocombe that he hasn’t had much of a chance. Aidan Stone is progressing nicely and is showing positive signs, but I still appreciate Slocombe. Accrington might be in good form, but I see little reason to fear them. I am more concerned that we won’t play as smoothly or calmly as we have seen at the back.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,459
  • Days Won:  5

Luke Williams doesn’t need to make changes; there’s no reason for it. If he does, I would imagine it’s tactical or to give someone a rest. All the players are performing at an acceptable level. I think the squad is coming to grips with the level of League Two, whilst our fitness levels have helped to keep consistent performance for 90 minutes. The fact that Notts aren’t chasing the ball or wasting energy is a good thing. I want to see Notts make Accrington work for the ball and any chances that come their way. I have every faith that Notts can do well against them.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,086
  • Days Won:  2

Accrington Stanley aren’t as good as they used to be. Once they sold Paul Mullin, they just became an average good team. Defensively, they can be quite poor. Place a shot in the top corner, and we will score. There’s no way their keeper will save every high shot on goal. They work hard as a team, but I can’t see them doing much against us at home. Away would be a completely different story.

• Like 7

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I am inclined to agree with @NottsTastic.

The sale of Paul Mullin has truly had a detrimental impact on Accrington Stanley. They have good strike options, but it is not the same. They have a strong midfield, with some quality in there that I think people underrate.

However, their defence can be easily shaken. Most teams are quite happy to let the midfield battle win the games and most struggle with Accrington’s press. I am not suggesting they are not a good side; they are. But people do not remember that they went up from League Two on a shoestring budget, being incredible on the way and how that is now fading, mostly due to losing key players. They have no Matt Palmer or John Bostock. We are quite blessed and should be more than good enough to outplay them at our best.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

Either team could win on their day. If both teams perform their best, it will be an entertaining game and one that should showcase the quality we have. I think Accrington could easily miss out on the playoffs, but only by a few places. They are a good team, but they lack the goal scorer they had in Paul Mullin. None of their current strikers are players I would say could make our starting line-up, nor would I want them. I think there are only a few players of theirs that would fit our system. They work incredibly well together and their threat is mostly from midfield. If we keep them quiet, Notts will benefit from it massively.

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

I am hoping for another home win for Notts, but maintaining our undefeated run is the most important thing. Accrington are familiar with League Two, but I doubt they know much about us. If they were to watch footage of our games, it would be difficult for them to devise a game plan to stop us from growing in confidence at home. Playing away would be more challenging because they will be accustomed to their pitch and Notts tends to start slowly, but at Meadow Lane we are surely the favourites.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  70

I think it could be a good game for a neutral but nail biting for us

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  10

This will be a very tough game for notts Stanley are a strong side. I think notts fans are forgetting they are above notts in the league I am going 1/1.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

That is a great win, Accrington Stanley are no mugs, I agree with the MoM for once the result could have been different if Stone hadn’t made some great saves.

• Like 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I thought it took us a little time to really get the flow going, that's perfectly normal, and I felt impressed with how we played around the 7th to 10 minute mark. That speed, is how we needed to keep it. We weren't too slow or rushing the play. Things just happened naturally, and it left Accrington chasing the game. Taking the lead, Notts had so much pressure on them that a second looked quite promising. However, I felt we slowed the game down too much, which led to a nervous spell and we became somewhat sloppy. Accrington swiftly regained their footing and appeared to be a formidable team.

Their equaliser, it really annoyed me how we failed to keep with the movement, but I hold no blame on Aidan Stone. It seemed a difficult angle and, David McGoldrick tried to prevent it, but it was in.

Accrington got away with a bit of the dark arts, the referee didn't help either.

Josh Andrews looked a lively threat, shooting wide and using his size as an advantage. Few of their players stood out as being very good players, but they did perform well as a team.

This was the first real test for Notts, as they were in good form and would always give us a game. I think Notts were superb, how we tailed off before the end of the first half, I could see it coming, and I think these moments are when Luke Williams needs to shout out instructions.

Second half, very bright start and the build-up to chances became very swift. Quick passes into space, then Macaulay Langstaff gets through on goal. This is precisely what I had in mind earlier when I suggested ways to involve Langstaff in games, even before he began scoring. McGoldrick masterfully delivered passes to create scoring opportunities.

It might sound harsh, but I don't think Accrington deserved their goal, I find myself feeling Aidan Stone deserved a clean sheet. It was a sloppy play from us, which led to them taking control. Thankfully in the final 45 minutes, despite it being end to end. Langstaff scored two truly exceptional goals that silenced them completely. He could have had 5 goals today, two of his efforts catching well-timed deflections. It was a superb team performance by us; Accington should be happy with the defeat as they did show amazing spirit and effort. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

Notts looked like they had everything required to get the result, keeping Accrington silent until we actually took the lead. They started pressing and I thought Notts just relaxed when they should have gone for a second. It made the first 45 minutes quite nervous as they did grow into the game very well. In the second half, we re-took control of the game and controlled it well. Despite Accrington having chances, they weren’t that well taken and the way we played it always looked likely that Macaulay Langstaff would get a goal. Sam Austin could have had a decent effort on goal if he had remained on the same wavelength as Jodi Jones. I am incredibly proud of the win, it’s good to be top of League Two. There’s a long way to go, but we are finding form and growing with confidence.

• Like 5