Match Discussion: Game 23 - The Hatters (A)

PON_News

5 hours ago, Richo said:

I think performance is more important than the result it’s not the fact we’ve been losing it’s the dire performances that’s been upsetting 

Most supporters are upset by our losses due to errors and subpar performances, but a small group simply doesn’t enjoy winning. I find it hard to believe that the initially disappointed fans would demand Luke Williams’ dismissal. Only those with more extreme views would.

As for the match against Stockport County, it could go two ways: they might overwhelm us, or we might put up a strong fight. The result will hinge on our defence.

• Like 6

Our defence is going to be key tonight. I'm sure Luke has been working on this flat out in training.

I genuinely believe that if the opposition do not score we can win every single game we play.

We have arguably the best attacking force in the league.

If our defence had played anywhere near to what they could have done, we could have been leading this league by several points by now.

I'm hoping for a draw tonight because that would be an excellent result for us.

Stockport, apart from their 8:0 win, have been leaking goals of late, so a score draw could be a possibility.

If we are still in a playoff position at the end of the year that would still be a success, with the January transfer window approaching.

• Like 8

I’m rather pleased with the team selection, especially with the return of Kyle Cameron and David McGoldrick. My only worry is our defence, which seems a bit weak. We don’t have many attacking options if we need fresh ideas or if an offensive player gets weary. However, this could give James Sanderson another chance.

• Like 8

Supporter+

I’m watching on the live stream and although we are losing to a Kyle Wootton goal Notts are playing really well and are the better team at the break if we can carry on like this we could get something out of this game.

• Like 8

we are playing better, a bit more thought needs to go into our decisions on goal but its good to see macaulay langstaff more involved with the ball. it gives him so much more to do. despite the better performance, the goal we allowed to go in was a major switching off moment and its disappointing. i am pleased with how we have responded since though.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Supporter+
34 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Surprisingly played fairly well.

Thing we have to give the MoM to the Stockport commentators, for being the most clueless commentators in the league. Think I remember them from the National League, like basketball fans trying to commentate on football. 

@Super_Danny_Allsopp you do know that you can gets Radio Notts commentary on the stream? Go to settings/audio/away. Then you’ll get Dave Bracegirdle and Stall.

• Like 4

Much better performance, punished for silly mistakes at the back again.

Stockport are a top side and we gave them problems.

Have to take our chances though.

Transfer window gets more and more important. We need two defenders, a defensive midfielder and a striker.

Sort out the mistakes and we will make the play offs.

• Like 14

People might overlook the problems with the two goals. I don’t think it’s worth focusing on them, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. The overall performance was quite good for most of the match. It’s unfortunate that David McGoldrick’s goal didn’t secure us a point. That would have been significant, but the players can still take away many positives.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

There are many positive aspects to take from the match. Some supporters are quoting statistics and suggesting that Notts could have created more scoring opportunities. However, this doesn’t diminish the fact that the players put in a lot of effort to compete with one of the top teams in the league. Stockport’s strong defence made it challenging. While Notts should begin to improve, we might need a few more matches to regain our momentum.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Judging by today’s performance, it’s clear that there’s potential for further improvement. Stockport County has proven themselves to be a formidable team in this league. I don’t particularly enjoy bringing budgets into the conversation as they don’t provide a fair basis for comparison. It’s the performance that truly counts.

Being the home team would have certainly given them a leg up. So, it’s encouraging to see signs of progress despite this advantage.

• Like 7

We could certainly pick up a few pointers from Stockport County’s defensive tactics, even though I felt they played a bit rough and some fouls were overlooked. Nonetheless, it’s undeniable that they’re a competent team and we held our own against them. There’s no disappointment in that. Our players gave their all, which is all we can ask for. I believe Aden Baldwin deserves special mention for his stellar performance in our defence tonight.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

It’s a bit disheartening because I believe we deserved more from the match. However, there will be many more games like this in the second half of the season. We just need to keep striving, as we are certainly capable. I’m pleased with our performance, just a tad disappointed that we couldn’t secure a draw.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Judging by today’s performance, it’s clear that there’s potential for further improvement. Stockport County has proven themselves to be a formidable team in this league. I don’t particularly enjoy bringing budgets into the conversation as they don’t provide a fair basis for comparison. It’s the performance that truly counts.

Being the home team would have certainly given them a leg up. So, it’s encouraging to see signs of progress despite this advantage.

Agree.

We competed very well with them.

We know we can score against any team in this league & we did again tonight.

Cut down those goals conceded then we can start winning matches again & rise up that table.

• Like 4

I came away from the match feeling pleased with Notts’ performance. They played well for most of the game, even though there’s room for improvement in the defence. We must focus on the positives from the match. We had a good amount of possession, and Stockport managed to block everything, keeping me on tenterhooks. Hopefully, the players are content. I hope the club lets someone handle the players’ press conference this time. We can regroup and give it another shot on Boxing Day.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, KingWilliams said:

It’s a bit disheartening because I believe we deserved more from the match. However, there will be many more games like this in the second half of the season. We just need to keep striving, as we are certainly capable. I’m pleased with our performance, just a tad disappointed that we couldn’t secure a draw.

I thought it would be a score draw tonight.

Like you pleased with the performance and it could have easily turned out a much better result tonight.

• Love 2

I wasn’t present at the match, but I saw the stream and I think Notts did well. It was a big step up from Harrogate, I’m hoping we can reach January without much let down. But if we perform like we did today, it won’t be for lack of trying or effort. Stockport is a hard team to play against, they will be in the automatics by the season’s end as they seem to have a very solid team now.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I didn’t manage to hear Luke Williams’ reaction to the game, but I’m hoping he was as pleased as we all were.

Sometimes supporters can demand too much but after the bad form, no one can expect us to have outperformed Stockport and still lose, despite a late goal that came after their second. It was a very upbeat display, Jodi Jones was excellent once again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It does seem like a significant improvement, but we must remember that performances can fluctuate. It’s simply a positive sign of the team’s ability to go to the top of the league, who are performing well, and we put on a good show.

I believe Aidan Stone and Aden Baldwin performed exceptionally well.

Macaulay Langstaff helped kick-start us, Jodi Jones was outstanding. I thought Dan Crowley did well, but I just wanted to see a bit more finesse from him. Thrilled for David McGoldrick, he always appears to be a danger.

• Like 5

The performance is the key point from the game, we played well and it shows the players are heeding Luke Williams. We got the response we desired, a performance where we match up to the top of the league. I believe it augurs well for the work being put into training. Luke Williams has no cause for disappointment, I’m certain he’s pleased and proud. He’s seemed concerned, but I don’t think any of us need to be in retrospect. We’re in capable hands, it’s just a tough period.

• Like 3

@Joshua "I don’t particularly enjoy bringing budgets into the conversation as they don’t provide a fair basis for comparison."

In the National League, Stockport's budget was nearly twice the size of Notts. Perhaps the quality of Stockport's bench reflected that last night

Both of Stockport's goals scored by ex Notts players😢

• Like 2