What would you change if you were Kevin Nolan?

KB1862

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Results haven't been great as of late, many fans are asking big questions of a back 4 who look like conceding for fun. But if you were Kevin Nolan what would you do? Change tactics, formation, players or style of play? 

For me I'd change the style of play because we don't have the same target men we had last season in Stead and Ameobi together. I'd play a passing game, use it to our advantage with Dennis and Hemmings up front playing to feet could benefit them. David Vaughan as a midfielder can pick a pass or 2. I'd also consider going into the loan market and enquire about new goalkeeper as Fitzsimmons doesn't look confident in goal as shown against Middlesbrough when he should of demanded the box better for 2 of their goals. Ben Hall when fit should be slotted into that back 4 replacing Duffy, bring in Bird to replace Brisley. Crawford/Patching should be given a chance to freshen up that midfield and bring something new to the team with a passing game. Possibility of reverting to a 5-3-2 formation which worked well for England in the World Cup with Nathan Thomas as a left wing back to cover the defence which will help solidify them. Right wing back would be up for anyone as Enzio might not be the capable player to play that position as he's attacking based. If there was a 5-3-2 change

Fitzsimmons

Enzio Bird Hall Tootle/Hewitt Thomas

Patching Vaughan Crawford 

Dennis Hemmings

• Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

I agree with you about Hall and Bird. Both are good with the ball at their feet and you need them type to be able to play expansive football. Vaughan and Husin cannot play together. Same type of player. Create and dictate the tempo. Need a blood and guts midfielder who gets stuck in

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@ivansneck pointed out elsewhere in another discussion that Notts lack pace, he's correct the defence has little. If you remove Jones who was caught out of position a lot, there's nothing. Duffy looks overweight for a footballer, seriously he seems to sprint well early on but after a few times he's just huffing and puffing.

Nolan needs to quit changing the formation.

He needs to go out and sign a keeper, the defence can improve but it will take someone to organise them. Fitzsimons isn't that player, he's not vocal and his confidence is destroyed right now.

Get a stronger keeper in with experience, drop Duffy or remove the captaincy from him.

Then either play Hall/Brisley or Hall/Duffy. Give someone else the wing back position/right back - anyone but Hewitt.

Notts played with a lot of confidence going forward, yet Duffy never lead the team and he didn't organise the back four properly. Brisley seems lost, Jones was awful and Fitzsimons doesn't have hands. People need to stop defending him because it's becoming a joke, when we realise this things might improve. No wonder Nolan doesn't think we need a keeper jesus christ.

Nolan needs to change something. I'd like to defend him but until he does something to change the team I can't defend him. Fitzsimmons looks lost in goal, like he's not got much confidence. New keeper is what we need someone to dominate that penalty area. Oxlade-chamberlain, when fit, could come into that defence another to look at. Going forward we look good, but defending needs to be better. I agree Duffy needs to be out. Heads dropping at 1-0? Just not acceptable. 

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

The goalkeeping situation for sure turn to emergency loan window for that. 

Enzio I think is a 50-60 minute man that’s it so I think I would make him a second half sub a impact player. 

The defence as well needs a change when all the players are fit is the only time that will happen and I’m sure that Nolan will do it. 

If 4-4-2: New GK, Tootle, Bird, New CB, Jones (for now), Boldewijn, New CM, Husin, Alessandra, Dennis, Hemmings

If 3-5-2: New GK, Bird, New CB, Duffy (for now), Hawkridge, New CM, Husin, Alessandra, Kellett, Dennis, Hemmings 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

maybe notts should play 3 centre backs as suggested in the pre season.

make the wingers cover and have three central midfielders. i dont know i think notts needs to stick to a decision and avoid changing for the sake of it.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

The midfield and strikers played well as a team but the defence was disconnected.

Thomas and Enzio MUST defend. Jones and Hewitt need to be more organised at the back. Brisley and Duffy have to be more responsible, I would trust any of the defence to mind a child let alone defend a football game.

I think an England type 5-3-2 might be beneficial. Enzio and Thomas cover the wing back positions to help out with the he defence. Holding midfielder in Vaughan and young guns Crawford and Patching as midfielders. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  363
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think Pierce Bird is anywhere near the level that we need.

Notts should have got a third CB during the transfer window, successful teams build from the back and strengthening the defence wouldn't have been all that difficult. The club has the strikers and wingers, just this department lacking.

I am certain it will be sorted.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Fitzsimmons is a difficult one, as the goals we've been conceding haven't just been down to him (although his decision-making has been poor lately). He hasn't become a bad keeper overnight, he needs match practice to improve. All the same, I'd feel more confident with someone else between the sticks right now.

We didn't do the basics of defending yesterday. By that I don't just mean the back four, I mean the whole team. Hewitt and Jones may have been awful, but they were also left completely exposed by Thomas and Enzio. Hewitt was a double loss as he's the one player who can put a tackle in in centre midfield. I'd replace Thomas or Enzio with Hawkridge - maybe not as potent going forward, but someone who tracks back and supports the defence if need be, and frankly we need to steady the ship right now. Going by yesterday, those two wingers, together with a non-tackling centre midfield, are a luxury we can't afford.

As for the back four, it's just bad planning that we've actually lost strength in depth in this area (and in goal) in favour of strengthening our attacking options. Three games in and we needed an emergency right back! If none of the new boys can play there, let's do ourselves a favour next time Tootle's out and play a 352 instead. As for the centre halves, I don't know if Bird is ready yet, but Hall can definitely slot in if fit. Brisley and Duffy were both poor, but dropping the captain would send out the message that no-one's place is safe.

Fitzsimmons; Jones - Hall - Brisley - Tootle; Hawkridge - Hewitt - Vaughan - Enzio; Hemmings - Dennis

• Chris featured this topic

The goals we conceded were Sunday league standard, the first many chances to get the ball and get rid but failed and the finish well should of been avoided, then they almost scored from a fluke cross but it just shown how much we need to strengthen defensively. Enzio didn't look like he wanted to do any sort of defending just stood and watched as they scored. We need someone who is willing to run back and help the defenders not just attack but defend aswell which is why we need wing backs and holding mid. 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

1 hour ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

just stood and watched as they scored.

Same can be said about the clubs captain who didn't do anything after Notts conceded two very poor goals.

Kevin Nolan and Richard Duffy should have been onto the players to get tighter, why didn't they? If Notts had scored the game would have been different but KN must acknowledge that we will only leak goals whilst the players don't mark properly. Training might help but dropping players would be the wake up call, the problem is the two centre backs are safe just as Jon Stead was last season.

I would sign Jamie Jones on loan from Preston for goalkeeper

Bring Nedum Onuoha in on a free transfer. Been there done it. Quick centre back for this level. If Shackell went to Lincoln then we can do this 

Get Luke McCullouch on loan from Doncaster, put him in front of the back four and let him clobber people

Also bring in Connor Wood on loan from Bradford as we need a left back who can defend 

@TheSkipper I understand that mate, no one was getting tight to the players and Duffy should be shouting at his players to perform better. I'm only suggesting as a winger he should be doing more than half heartedly going into it. 

@ARLukomski there are many to look at, Smith on loan from Forest has been rumoured and in truth he is a fairly decent goalkeeper but same with Jones he can only be as good as the defence in front of him. But having said that if we get a commanding goalkeeper would the defence tighten up? 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  284
  • Days Won:  0

I would just try to get the midfield to pull back when out of possession, Notts can't defend with 4 players alone and the team can't commit too many men forwards. Right now they are trying to pull off something new and at times it looks good.

The problem is the defending is a massive down side to what KN is hoping to achieve.

Give it time.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  1

On 18/08/2018 at 13:16, Chris said:

@ivansneck pointed out elsewhere in another discussion that Notts lack pace, he's correct the defence has little. If you remove Jones who was caught out of position a lot, there's nothing. Duffy looks overweight for a footballer, seriously he seems to sprint well early on but after a few times he's just huffing and puffing.

Nolan needs to quit changing the formation.

He needs to go out and sign a keeper, the defence can improve but it will take someone to organise them. Fitzsimons isn't that player, he's not vocal and his confidence is destroyed right now.

Get a stronger keeper in with experience, drop Duffy or remove the captaincy from him.

Then either play Hall/Brisley or Hall/Duffy. Give someone else the wing back position/right back - anyone but Hewitt.

Notts played with a lot of confidence going forward, yet Duffy never lead the team and he didn't organise the back four properly. Brisley seems lost, Jones was awful and Fitzsimons doesn't have hands. People need to stop defending him because it's becoming a joke, when we realise this things might improve. No wonder Nolan doesn't think we need a keeper jesus christ.

I think a valid argument would be the lack of fitness the defence shows.

Even Dan Jones seems a yard slower than last season, Richard Duffy seems to be carry a lot of weight (or is pregnant) and Shaun Brisley seems to have turned into a snail over the summer.

Fitness, was worked on in pre season easy to see but it's not being shown on match days. However, Nolan wants passion from his players as he said "players grew up watching how I play, tonight they didn't do that" he wants them to play how he played and he went in full on game in game out never took it easy. 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I have no idea, maybe it's partly bad luck and confidence? I don't know, it needs fixing but I am certain Notts are better than a lot of the teams inline for relegation this season so I am not really bothered where they finish.

But I hope they can gain promotion this season.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

If I knew better than the manager I would probably be a lot richer than I am ! 

Last season (Other than the usual dissatisfaction with Duffy & suggestions that Fitz isn’t good enough) no one anticipated that the defence would become our Achille’s heel this season. The change in midfield seems to have left a massive gap between them & the defence and we are getting overwhelmed in the final third. I am not sure we have the personal at the club with the quality or experience to bridge that gap, the nasty ball winner type of player .

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

I would get them working longer and harder in training, makes changes to those who are playing poorly and just focus on lifting the performance levels up.

Kevin Nolan won't sit back and see the club struggle.

@allardyces tash I agree, the way Nolan as player was, he won't allow players to slack off he will get them working extra hard till they perform and play with pride

Archived