David McGoldrick

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

There seems to be a lot of talk about David McGoldrick returning to end his career at Notts. Some folk swear blind that it's a done deal. What do you all think?

Personally I'm not sure at all, he just doesn't fit our recruitment strategy and would surely be in demand in League One at least. The bloke was playing and scoring in the Premier League two years ago and just scored 22 times for Derby, so he still has it. 

I'm not sure what effect it would have to have a "star" in the dressing room, but then Ameobi was a similar case and did well for us. But now we have Langstaff - who would play? Would we change the formation to accommodate him? Or is he the replacement? 

Thoughts? 

• Like 13

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Maybe a swap deal with Ruben?

He’d potentially be a good player for us given his pedigree I think the recruitment people would have done their homework and if they think he’s a good fit then I’m happy with their judgement because to be fair they’ve done a good job so far.

We shall see.

• Like 10

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think it would be a step back, whilst he could be more of a short term Jon Stead type signing. We have 3 other players who play up top, I would rather see a youngster given the 4th slot. I mean why give game time to someone who is only going to decline when you already have multiple options ahead of him.

David McGoldrick proved his worth with Derby this past season, he's still got goals in him.

However, even if he was to play in midfield I think it would take the place of someone who can improve or contribute more. Our recruitment policy doesn't fit this signing time. We don't want to sign a player who might retire after only one season. He's a fan of our club, but other than that he's not done anything for us. If he was truly concerned about Notts, he would've made a return before in his career, perhaps before Sheffield United took him on.

• Like 10

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  3

I’m indifferent about this rumour. I don’t mind if McGoldrick comes back or not, as long as he performs well and helps us win games. He is a decent player with some experience and quality, but he is not a game-changer or a superstar. He would be just another option in our squad, nothing more nothing less. I trust the manager to make the right decision for the club.

• Like 12

• Content Count:  278
  • Days Won:  1

I think McGoldrick would be a great addition to our squad. He has experience, quality and passion for the club. He could mentor the younger players and score some important goals. He deserves a proper send-off at Notts, where he started his career. I hope the rumour is true and we can sign him soon.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

he would need to accept a fair amount of wages for what role he would play, i think we have moved past signings like this personally but i am not completely against it. it would be nice for him to finish his career at notts, but do we really need him?

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

No thanks, we don’t need another old and slow striker. McGoldrick is past his prime and he would only take up a valuable spot in the team. We should focus on developing our young talents and bringing in players who can improve our chances of promotion. McGoldrick can retire somewhere else, he has nothing to offer us anymore.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I’m torn about this rumour. On one hand, I respect McGoldrick for his achievements and his loyalty to Notts. He could be a good influence in the dressing room and a fan favourite on the pitch. On the other hand, I worry that he might not fit in our style of play and our ambitions. He might be too expensive and too injury-prone. I guess I’ll wait and see what happens.

• Like 9

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Days Won:  17

I don't want him in a swap for Ruben. I want and am hoping Ruben will re-sign for Notts. 

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

This is a bad idea for both parties. McGoldrick should retire at a higher level, where he can enjoy his final days as a professional. He has nothing to prove at Notts and he would only tarnish his legacy by playing in a lower division. Notts should look for younger and hungrier players who can help us climb the table and challenge for promotion. McGoldrick should stay away from Notts, for his own sake and ours.

• Like 9

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,503
  • Days Won:  9

I’m not sure what to think about this rumour. I like McGoldrick as a player and as a person, but I don’t know if he is the right fit for us right now. We have a good balance of youth and experience in our squad and we don’t need to disrupt that. McGoldrick might be a good option off the bench or as a backup, but I don’t think he should be a regular starter. I’m happy either way, as long as he doesn’t join our rivals.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

2 minutes ago, allardyces tash said:

McGoldrick can retire somewhere else, he has nothing to offer us anymore.

I remember a certain Tony Hateley coming back home to finish his career and look how that ended. I wonder how many fans said something similar at the time.

Not that I’m comparing him to Tony Hateley of course but if he did well I might have to change my name to Fan of Big Dave :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,128
  • Days Won:  2

This is a no-brainer for me. McGoldrick is exactly what we need right now. He is a proven goalscorer, a leader and a winner. He knows the club inside out and he would bring back some pride and passion to our team. He would be an instant upgrade on our current strikers and he would make us more competitive and more attractive to watch. I hope this rumour is true and we can get him on board as soon as possible.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,086
  • Days Won:  2

This would be an amazing coup for us. McGoldrick is still one of the best strikers in the country and he would be a huge asset for us. He has skill, pace, power and finishing ability that none of our current strikers have. He would create and score goals for fun and he would inspire our team to play better. He would also bring back some nostalgia and excitement to our fans who remember him from his first spell at Notts.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I don’t want McGoldrick back at Notts. He is not the same player he was when he left us and he would not fit in our system or our philosophy. He is too old, too slow and too expensive for us. We should look for younger and cheaper players who can grow with us and help us improve. McGoldrick should retire at a higher level, not come back to Notts and drag us down.

• Like 5

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Think there's positives in bringing McGoldrick to Notts. 

Experienced player who's been there, done that in the Football League and can grab a few goals. Think he'd be a useful addition even if he doesn't start many games. 

• Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  0

No, I would rather pass on it. He performed well for Derby last season and can still play at a good standard. However, we don’t need him. We already have three forwards. Where would he fit in?

• Like 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

I think a lot of the speculation will be put to bed next week as players return from holiday. In the meantime and for what it's worth,if D Mc re-signs for DCFC I think he will be used more sparingly.He can still do a very good job at League one level, but not for 90 minutes week in,week out, for all league and cup games. I'm hoping DCFC can now  sign the type of players so we don't have to hope for so much from him.

find out next week

• Like 1

I am led to believe that this is just a rumour which has taken the form of a prank to wind up Derby fans.

I noticed the 72 and The Football League World are bouncing off each other, along with an amusing tweet. If this is true, the sources wouldn't be so coy about everything. This is why I only mention rumours via PON that are linked to credible sources, as there's zero point mentioning it otherwise. Of course, I wouldn't share a rumour from a non-story approach. Only if it was genuinely written with a manager quote or more intent from the journalist than fair enough. Not these swings and roundabouts.

It's quite funny though. 😂 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

What's the worst type of monger @Chris? Fish, iron, rumour or war? 😂

I partly dropped this in to see if there's any weight behind it, as it's been circulating for a while now. I suspect we'll know one way or the other pretty soon.

As for his quality, if any other L2 team signed a player who had just scored 22 goals in the division above, we'd be saying it's an amazing signing. But in a negative scenario you could have a player who's declining and yet feels entitled to a start. We do need to beef up the squad with some experience, but not necessarily in an area where we've already got three players competing for one spot.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

I am led to believe that this is just a rumour which has taken the form of a prank to wind up Derby fans.

I noticed the 72 and The Football League World are bouncing off each other, along with an amusing tweet. If this is true, the sources wouldn't be so coy about everything. This is why I only mention rumours via PON that are linked to credible sources, as there's zero point mentioning it otherwise. Of course, I wouldn't share a rumour from a non-story approach. Only if it was genuinely written with a manager quote or more intent from the journalist than fair enough. Not these swings and roundabouts.

It's quite funny though. 😂 

It didn't wind me up.As I keep saying, players are still away on holiday and anyway contracts don't expire till end of June,so players aren't in as much of hurry to reach a conclusion as some fans are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

What's the worst type of monger @Chris? Fish, iron, rumour or war? 😂

Last time Ruben's contract was up, these places did exactly the same reporting he was off to Norwich, Wolves.... Blah blah

The sad thing is, the 72 used to be a good publication online until they started investing in click baiting and spam articles. These players just want the clicks £££. Ironically, ads don't pay that well these days, as the Nottingham Post fully knows.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

It’s interesting how split everyone seems to be about the potential signing of McGoldrick, especially when Derby fans are desperate for him to stay after scoring 20+ goals and winning their player of the season! It seems mad that some fans aren’t so keen, but it just goes to show how much they have taken to the Reedtz Brothers philosophy and approach to running the club. Looking at the bigger picture, they see no long-term benefit or have doubts he fits our system/style of play.

I get it but personally, I’d take him. He’s technically excellent, if you can compete (and score) at the top end of L1 he should be excellent in league 2. We’ve also got Macca, Scott and Morias which means we don’t need to rely on him or play him game after game. And if Warne’s Derby team is anything like his Rotherham one, they like to play on the front foot and be aggressive too, just they don’t really play out from the back and are more direct @super_ram will know this better than me. But I think in terms of being able to cope with our style of play he should be fine.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 3

• Content Count:  525
  • Days Won:  1

Derby fans don’t have the luxury of signing just anyone. They know David McGoldrick a lot better than us Notts fans as they have seen him all last season. We have three strikers who should be more than good enough and our midfield is strong. Would he be a replacement if Ruben Rodrigues left? I would rather get younger legs in. The thing about older players is that you don’t know when their legs will just go.

• Like 2