Belated promotion celebrations “not feasible”

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

“Council leader Mr Mellen apologised in the wake of the original decision not to host celebrations in the city, acknowledging it had not been the authority's "finest hour".

He said: "We accept we got it wrong by not staging an event for Notts County immediately after they secured their promotion, and we apologise again to them and their fans for that.

"It in no way diminishes how proud we are of them in securing a return back to where they belong."

The council said it was reviewing protocols for marking and celebrating significant sporting success.”

He’s dead right it wasn’t their finest hour, far from it, absolutely disgusting. I don’t blame the club for turning down a belated celebration.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I'm not surprised.  The team that won promotion is not intact, new players have joined, they have other things on their minds.  A celebration would be pointless and distracting.  I suspect the City Council knew this.  I am a little surprised there wasn't  'avoided relegation' celebration though.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,300
  • Days Won:  69

1 hour ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

I'm not surprised.  The team that won promotion is not intact, new players have joined, they have other things on their minds.  A celebration would be pointless and distracting.  I suspect the City Council knew this.  I am a little surprised there wasn't  'avoided relegation' celebration though.

Spot on there  @Ohh Tommy Johnson and I'm not saying that because I'm a Ram.The Council's handling of the situation was very shabby to sat the least. 

• Like 12

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,300
  • Days Won:  69

1 hour ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

“Council leader Mr Mellen apologised in the wake of the original decision not to host celebrations in the city, acknowledging it had not been the authority's "finest hour".

He said: "We accept we got it wrong by not staging an event for Notts County immediately after they secured their promotion, and we apologise again to them and their fans for that.

"It in no way diminishes how proud we are of them in securing a return back to where they belong."

The council said it was reviewing protocols for marking and celebrating significant sporting success.”

He’s dead right it wasn’t their finest hour, far from it, absolutely disgusting. I don’t blame the club for turning down a belated celebration.

Another example of politicians covering themselves in glory,not

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We should let the Nottingham City council know our opinion because they were disrespectful when they did not act initially. Any achievement in sport should be acknowledged by Nottingham.

They can find the money for things out of the blue that suite their own agenda, but always treat Notts as a second thought.

That said, I would reject a city centre celebration now, with the event the other week and how people feel. It makes no sense, but I do hope the club announces an open day or some sort of community day at Meadow Lane.

• Like 14

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

with the cost of living, i dont think its 'feasible' to pay my council tax.

it is way to late now, it makes little sense to do it but i still think nottingham city council are a joke and biased. they seem to go out of their way to be awkward and uninterested in notts. like how they made it difficult to park around meadow lane without paying. they are only bothered about forest.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

It’s not unlike the council to do U-turns when it suits them. I don’t think they have ever known what they’re doing. It’s such a shambles and way too late anyway.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Here we go again, at this stage even I am not bothered but it just becomes frustrating by the mindlessness of the Nottingham Council. It's like the blind leading the blind, they really need to make it up to Notts in the future. The Council should be ashamed of themselves for how they treat our historic club.

• Like 7

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

The council's lack of enthusiasm about Notts County's promotion was disheartening, but I believe we should look forward and hope for positive change for future achievements.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Just to be clear it’s Notts County FC who are saying the celebration is no longer feasible because players will be starting training soon. The Council would have gone ahead with a belated celebration. I don’t blame the club for turning it down there should have been a celebration when it happened at the end of the season.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  0

The Council should have proceeded earlier, it’s as simple as that. Notts cancelling makes sense, the moment has passed now.

• Like 8

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

The whole saga is really poor, our promotion was hardly a surprise. Grimsby had an open top bus tour when they won the playoffs last season. Even the Stags paraded through the empty streets of Mansfield in a Stagecoach bus. But for our historic, unique and record-breaking season? Nothing.

1 hour ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Just to be clear it’s Notts County FC who are saying the celebration is no longer feasible because players will be starting training soon. The Council would have gone ahead with a belated celebration. I don’t blame the club for turning it down there should have been a celebration when it happened at the end of the season.

Quite right too, it isn't the club's job to cover the council's backside. How would it have worked anyway? Some of our promotion winners have moved on, and we've made new signings who weren't involved last season. What do they do, stay at home?

If we go up again I'm expecting a full-on fireworks display. 

• Like 7

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I'm glad Notts have turned it down. The council should have planned something ready for when it did happen. 

Too little too late to try organise something. Players have left and new ones have arrived. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Yes, Notts can do their own thing. The way Nottingham Council has conducted themselves is very poorly, and it should have been a forefront thing, rather than a second thought. I think this is even lower than that; they always treat Notts as if we don’t matter.

• Like 9

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461

Notts County deserved better, but at this point, a belated celebration doesn't make much sense - especially now that the team has changed and moved forward. The council should have taken action sooner.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

They caved in because of complaints and pushed the plans further back. The club should have declined the moment they said it would be reconsidered. This just shows poor decision-making on both sides because the hope of doing something lifted the spirits of the fans who weren’t able to get down to the homecoming. So, Notts are faultless, but the way Nottingham Council has handled themselves is very poor.

• Like 8

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138

100% @Joshua has it spot on. Why has the club suddenly decided not to do something? The Council backtracked weeks ago, so surely they knew then that the team would have been disbanded and not the same. It makes me wonder if club staff are reading this and planning to have an open day of sorts. The planning can be quite last minute, so Notts themselves can’t talk. It’s us being messed about.

• Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

No promotion celebrations, there’s the decision to have it later in the year. They seem to be waiting, and now the club says no? What is this, an episode of Little Britain?

• Like 5

• Content Count:  231

If the city is spending money on events like this, then it should be done right and in a timely manner. We shouldn’t have to accept a belated celebration that has lost its significance. I don’t blame Notts for rejecting it, but I do agree it should have happened sooner. I’m sure the club is making plans of its own with us returning to the Football League. Our first season back will be special, so why not do it alone?

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

12 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

I am a little surprised there wasn't  'avoided relegation' celebration though.

Funnily enough, at the time the Lord Mayor of Nottingham tweeted out her congratulations to the red plague staying up, but was completely silent a few days before when we won promotion. 
She soon took the post down when the only replies she got were from Notts fans (including me) slaughtering her for her bias.

I bet the council are very happy that we’ve turned them down, but I would have done it at the 11th hour after they had put some effort into it, just to spite them.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419

I agree with @liampie. The council seems to prioritise Forest over Notts, which is not fair. Both clubs should be given equal importance and recognition in the city.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

This debacle just highlights the lack of communication and understanding between the council, the clubs, and the fans. We need better management in place to ensure situations like this don't happen again.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502

Maybe the lack of a full time CEO affected communications from our side.  I doubt delayed celebrations rates highly on the radar compared with preparing for the new season.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  322
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @TheCalFoster

We don't play in red so the council was never bothered unfortunately. 😕 

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

Maybe the lack of a full time CEO affected communications from our side.  I doubt delayed celebrations rates highly on the radar compared with preparing for the new season.

This is a fair comment. I do believe that Notts could have spoken up sooner, even with the club searching for a CEO and recruiting players. However, I am more annoyed with the Council. It robbed some fans of the opportunity to celebrate.

• Like 1