Match Discussion: Game 19 - The Wombles (A)

PON_News

Game 19 - The Wombles (A)

Team: AFC Wimbledon

Date: 25/11/2023

Where: Plough Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

I wouldn't read too much into their current form, as Wimbledon are a decent team and usually lift their game for occasions like this.

However, I would say it is a good time for us to be playing them and if we can create a good performance then I would fancy our chances of claiming all three points. It's not as simple as that; Notts will have to put on one of their best away displays.

There's the potential Wimbledon might want to slow the game down, allowing it to become scrappy, but we need to control this by keeping the ball moving along the ground. I think our wider areas should be something that gives us a great advantage. Wimbledon will try to pack their half, when they don't have the ball. Counter-attack when the chance comes. Unfortunately, I won't be at the game, but I will be listening to it via BBC Radio Nottingham.

• Like 17

The upcoming games should be less challenging compared to some of our previous away matches. It would be a letdown if Notts didn’t pose a significant challenge to AFC Wimbledon. They are a good team that should be performing better, but we can use this to our advantage. Let’s unsettle their supporters, aim for an early goal, and defend with courage. Let’s see how it unfolds, it promises to be an exciting match.

• Like 11

Predicting our play away from home is difficult as we’ve been inconsistent. It largely depends on how we start. If we start well, the game should be entertaining with opportunities. But if we start slowly or AFC Wimbledon dominate possession, it could be frustrating. I don’t think it will be easy, but we have a strong midfield that just needs to create opportunities for Macaulay Langstaff and David McGoldrick.

• Like 15

I won't be able to attend the game, but I plan to keep an eye out for updates. I'm optimistic that Notts can secure a strong victory away from home. Earning three points would be great for moving us up the table, but I don't know much about Wimbledon. They could pose a challenge, or we might not perform at our best.

• Like 9

we do need to start picking up good wins on the road again, its funny how one season you are better away than at home and then you are outstanding at home (which we should be) but are indifferent away. i think notts may have struggled previously due to the oxford and injuries, but also a lack of composure. i am hoping to watch notts start brightly, now its getting colder we need a bit of motivation for our support at games.

wimbledon wont be pushovers, i dont expect them to be or to make it easy. three points would be my target going into the match though.

• Like 14

Is it likely that Dan Gosling will have his first start? It seems doubtful, but we’re in a good position to perform well away from home. The back three, Kyle Cameron, Richard Brindley, and Aden Baldwin, are a given. Remember, Jodi Jones is suspended!

• Like 9

As the team approach the half-time whistle against AFC Wimbledon, it would be good to secure a two-goal lead. They’re a formidable side, but our squad is robust and capable. We just need to tap into our potential and maintain consistency, particularly when playing away. To all the fans attending the match, I encourage you to share your post-match thoughts. Your insights are valuable, and rest assured, they will be read and appreciated.

Edited by lambleypie
  • Like 12

With AFC Wimbledon playing at home, they’ll be eager to reverse their current form. I’d suggest a particular strategy for this. Does anyone have an update on Adam Chicksen’s injury status? I heard he’s dealing with a minor issue. Personally, I’d prefer him over Will Randall, as I believe Chicksen would be superior both offensively and defensively.

Slocombe

Baldwin, Brindley, Cameron

Nemane,      Bostock,         Randall

Crowley

McGoldrick

Langstaff

I’m eagerly anticipating @Ohh Tommy Johnson's insights on the team lineup, as well as @menzinho and @Fozzy’s analysis of the game and the opposition.

• Like 13

Notts needs to start shifting into fourth or fifth gear now, if they want to be in the running for the top 3 spots. Stockport County are starting to pull ahead and create a healthy gap. I don’t want to see Mansfield finish above us, we need to keep the pressure on them and a win against Wimbledon would be just the ticket. Wrexham are also starting to show they can finish in the top three, so we need to work hard in away games to make sure the club picks up as many points as possible on the road.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, allardyces tash said:

With AFC Wimbledon playing at home, they’ll be eager to reverse their current form. I’d suggest a particular strategy for this. Does anyone have an update on Adam Chicksen’s injury status? I heard he’s dealing with a minor issue. Personally, I’d prefer him over Will Randall, as I believe Chicksen would be superior both offensively and defensively.

Slocombe

Baldwin, Brindley, Cameron

Nemane,      Bostock,         Randall

Crowley

McGoldrick

Langstaff

I’m eagerly anticipating @Ohh Tommy Johnson's insights on the team lineup, as well as @menzinho and @Fozzy’s analysis of the game and the opposition.

I think I would go with this too, but I would put JOB in with Bostock to give us 11 players 😉. I would look to bring on Gosling maybe a bit earlier if we are on top to get him up to speed.  Initially I thought instead of JoB, but I wonder if it would be better to replace Bostock (all other things being equal) to give him a rest / keep the engine of JoB in case Gosling is still a bit off the pace.  I wonder if Cameron will be replaced by Rawlinson too, I heard he had a niggle last weekend which is why he came off.  

Edited as I have just seen Baldwin and TAR are out suspended so Back 3 of Brindley, Cameron or Macari, Rawlinson with Tipton and Macari (if Cameron is fit) on the bench in case Brindley breaks down.

So for me:

Slocombe

Brindley, Rawlinson, Cameron (Macari)

Nemane,      JoB       Bostock,         Randall

Crowley              McGoldrick

Langstaff

Edited by Ohh Tommy Johnson
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

Supporter+

I was hoping Jodi Jones suspension would be for the Bradford game when he was playing for Malta anyway.

This will be a hard game but I’m hoping we come away with at least a point to keep the pressure on those around and above us.

COYP!!!

• Like 5

I think Notts will be under a lot of pressure, so I can understand more about how Luke Williams is handling things. In my opinion, AFC Wimbledon would be happy with a draw. I anticipate a tough match and I just hope that whoever starts performs well because we’re at the point where wins and draws are most important.

• Like 9

Wimbledon have had mixed results of late after a very good start so it’s not a bad time to be playing them. They recently conceded 4 against Accrington and Morecambe but up until then I’d say their defence was pretty solid, probably one of the best in the league stats wise! They did beat Doncaster in their last league game, so maybe just a blip then (hopefully not!). James Tilley, Al Hamadi and Armani Little (he caused us problems when he was at Torquay) are their best attacking players.  If Bugiel starts he is good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Judging by their passing stats they are a bit of mixed bag in terms of style, although they will probably be more direct against us and I’m expecting them to press us.

So with that in mind, for my team it’s very similar to those that have already been suggested. I’d get Brinds in the middle of the back 3 (genuinely think he’s better here) with Macari taking his role as the RCB. Not sure I’d start Gosling yet but I’m hopeful Chicksen might be ready for the first team. So for me I’d only make two changes from the Bradford game, Macari in for Baldwin and Chicks in for Randall.

Another tough away game, no idea what the score will be but I’d take a point.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

I’m not as familiar with Wimbledon, but I did notice they started the season quite well, competing with MK Dons. I think they’ll want to outperform them against us, but I’m still hoping for a win for us. We need to keep the cards to a minimum and create opportunities, we don’t need any more suspensions.

• Like 5

I'm feeling rather nervous but excited ahead of tomorrow's match against The Wombles, they're a frightfully tough team, but I believe we've got what it takes to come out on top. Our defence has been looking slightly better lately, and if we can capitalise on our chances up front, I think we could be in for an entertaining afternoon. COYP!

• Like 4

I'm feeling quite optimistic ahead of our match against The Wombles. Despite their decent squad, I believe we have the talent and determination to take them down. Our midfield trio of Crowley, Bostock, and McGoldrick looks particularly strong, and I think they'll be able to control the pace of the game and create plenty of opportunities for our attackers. With the likes of Langstaff and possibly Austin up front, we've got more than enough firepower to trouble any defense.

Of course, The Wombles won't be pushovers, and we'll need to be at our best defensively if we want to come away with three points. Their striker, Tilley, is a real handful, and we'll need to keep him quiet if we want to shut down their attack. But overall, I think we've got the tools to get the job done. A win would be massive for our playoff push, and I'm confident that we can deliver.

• Like 5

Wimbledon won’t want us to have much ball possession. They’re a competent team who can adapt, but they’ll be aware that we pose a threat if we’re allowed to play our usual game. So far, the teams that have performed well against us have found ways to disrupt Notts’ start.

The frustration makes it difficult to gain momentum, so my concern is conceding a goal because it’s a setback that will likely give them the upper hand and make the game more open.

• Like 4

i am about 30 minutes away from the ground, i have just pulled over with the lads [@CliftonMagpie and @TheSkipper] so that we can get something better to eat than what football grounds offer.

jodi jones will be a miss, but it gives someone else a chance and i think his presence would be better for some of the upcoming games. so if he was on 4 yellow cards, and not suspended i think i would prefer him not to be risked. yes hes a great player but the suspension could have been avoided, thankfully i dont think it will impact us as much.

i will share the team news unless someone else beats me to it. i cant wait to watch the game!

• Like 2
  • Love 1