Santa's wish list

Piethagoram

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't end up seeing a few additions come in. With Dan Gosling not featuring much so far, his signature might seem a little doubtful. I can see movement being made to sign another midfielder, I just have this feeling but I won't disclose why. Also, if we did sign Lewis Macari, we do ideally need someone a bit more phsyical.

If we could capture a CB that deals with threats well, has the mindset of defending before anything else and is steady on the ball. I would be very happy.

• Like 8

The recruitment has been weighted towards attacking players since the Burchnall days and it's catching up with us unfortunately. I'd like to see two new central defenders - including one who takes care of the basics and leaves the build-up play to the others. Our existing crop can compete for the remaining spot - maybe the new boys could bring the best out of one of them. Tipton can go back as LW clearly doesn't rate him at all.

As for the midfield, I suspect Gosling will be off as soon as he's up to speed (although he apparently played well last night). If he goes, I'd like to see two new faces there as well - a Palmer replacement and maybe a younger loanee who can offer some extra strength in depth (we were thin in that area even before Palmer's injury).

• Like 8

Supporter+

What happened to that Irish defender we had made bids for, is he available free in January?

• Like 3

It would be good to have one or two more centre backs, but given the size of our squad and the players we already have, it seems unlikely that we’ll sign more than one, unless Lewis Macari is included. I’m hoping that by January we’ll sign a defensive leader who won’t get caught out of position.

• Like 4

Supporter+

I watched Tiernan Brooks live at Cork City. He didn't put a foot wrong. I think it's time to give him his chance. I don't think we'll regret it. We need at least one Centre Back. The attack is one of the best in the division. No worries there. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I’m not too worried if we don’t sign a defender, because people are missing the point about working with what we have and getting better. If the answer was always to replace players, then there’s no point in training or coaching. You won’t get the best out of people, you’ll just buy better and stand still.

• Like 2

I would be pleased if we extend Dan Gosling’s contract until the season’s end, despite his limited playtime. It could provide us with more options in midfield. Additionally, we could utilise Lewis Macari more and recruit another tall, straightforward, physical defender.

• Like 1

We need a goalkeeper who is comfortable in possession and distribution. He has to be calm and composed. Slocombe has been a great servant to the club and has transformed himself into this role, however he is getting older and it isn't his natural game. Stone isn't good enough consistently with his distribution and he is far too erratic in decision making. Tiernan Brooks still injured??

At least 2 CBs that are good defensively and decent with the ball. Cameron, Brindley, Rawlinson and Chicksen are all fine at this level, but if we're serious about challenging for promotion, none of them are L1 standard, IMO. 

We need a central midfielder, desperately. Palmer is a big miss. Bostock is immense, but he's prone to knocks. O'Brien is a good backup, but he can't play 90 every game. Austin isn't comfortable in that position and gosling is a waste of a shirt. 

4 signings minimum for me. GK, CB X2, CM.

• Like 5

Supporter+
On 05/12/2023 at 17:31, Benji said:

I’m not too worried if we don’t sign a defender, because people are missing the point about working with what we have and getting better. If the answer was always to replace players, then there’s no point in training or coaching. You won’t get the best out of people, you’ll just buy better and stand still.

I disagree with that @Benji if we want to progress to a higher level we have to replace players who can only reach a certain level with players that can play at a higher level, you can’t coach more quality into some players because they can only reach a certain level of expertise. You can’t expect to be able to turn league 2 players into premiership players.

• Like 2

I can only agree with @Super_Danny_Allsopp, the January window will make our break our season. It's very plain that our back line has been found wanting in this division, and Gosling seems to be turning into Harry Arter no. 2. I'd have a go at swapping Austin and Crowley around, but only as a temporary solution. 

As we don't seem quite ready for a serious promotion push, yet there's also virtually zero risk of going down, it might be the perfect time to give Brooks a run in the team. We might benefit for years to come, and having a player come through the ranks and into the first team would do the academy a world of good. 

• Like 3

I think Gosling needs to have an impact now before Jan otherwise it’s not worth keeping him on. I Feel for Tipton as this loan hasn’t done anything for him but there is no point in him staying. And I know we’ve only just signed him but I’d look to send Randall out on loan. I can’t see where he fits in, he doesn’t get in ahead of either Chicksen or Adebayo-Rowling for me he’s like a 3rd choice wing-back and that’s unnecessary.

I don’t expect us to sign a GK, not just in terms of the budget but 4 keepers is too many, we’d have to get rid of one and I can’t see that happening. I agree it’s an area that needs to be reassessed, but I’d expect that to happen during/over the summer.

So it would be 3 out and 3 in for me. A centre back, a centre back/def mid, a centre mid.

• Like 2

Outs (loans)

Rawlinson, Randall, Tipton (return to Wolves), Gosling on expiry of January contract

Ins

Macari (permanent), Keeley, one LCB, 

Jellis,  (A.N.Other :if he can play that Matty Palmer role)

Brooks to play GK, if he is considered the best for Ireland's U21, that will do for me

As regards Strikers, need Scott back asap

• Like 2

i think dan gosling could do better if hes not thrown into our team when we are playing just as bad, he has been slowly eased into the team so far and he has been quite average. yet i dont think his teammates have helped with this. i have no issue with aidan stone, he can play with the ball at his feet and he kept us in the game yesterday. we were flawed throughout the squad defensively. kyle cameron was poor!

you can coach improvements from the back three, you cans start by making sure they know to stay goal side. actually attempt to defend, instead of standing still or being a bystander.

we have seen that they can do better, but it is clear a defender is needed at the back.

lewis macari played well i thought, he was one of the better parts of our defence but when richard brindley came on, i could not notice him. it was like we were a man down.

• Like 2

I fully support giving Tiernan Brooks a chance, but fans must remember that everyone makes mistakes and no goalkeeper does so intentionally. If things don’t go as planned, there’s no reason why fans can’t accept the return of Aidan Stone or Sam Slocombe. We might just need to concentrate on improving our defence.