Elliott Hewitt can go if he doesn't improve

CliftonMagpie

I think Elliott Hewitt has been a shadow of his former self all season, last year he was my most improved player but I don't see why people defend him or overlook when he plays very badly. He's not the holding midfielder Notts needs, he barely defends and he's more a weakness right now.

It must be frustrating to David Vaughan to see him selected ahead of him.

Yes Vaughan could have been a better signings but he needs to settle in, at least he can pass and hold the ball unlike Hewitt. What does everyone else think?

I think from what I have seen Elliott Hewitt doesn't know his role properly and that is bad coaching for me.

He drifted around much of the Oldham game looking lost and lacking effort to involve himself, I feel there's a player in there and he would respond better with a man-manager. I don't believe Harry Kewell is the coach we have been led to believe but I would retain Hewitt for another season.

I think he's been average but for me it's more due to him being unsettled with who he starts alongside side.

I always feel he looks better coming off the bench, so I think Harry Kewell might need to reflect on if anyone else can do Hewitts role for now.

i think hes largely inconsistent and i question why we insist on putting him at right back at times.

he needs to be sat deeper in the midfield and told to pick up the ball imo, i just think his skill is to break down the play and lay the ball to someone who can distribute it better.

I agree, Hewitt has been sub par and is gifted a first team spot week in week out. There is the likes of  Vaughan, Patching, Crawford and Husin all waiting for a chance. My personal thought is that Kewell has fallen out with a few of these players hence the reason for benching 4 defenders for 2 weeks running. It looks like the fringe players don't want to play for this club anymore. There is only so much faking of injuries he can say.

Hewitt on Tuesday night was awfull @Chris and my self on Tuesday night was not happy with his performance.. this season he is a different player not like last year where I thought he was good. If he don’t wake up then I would rather let him go and offer Jamie Turley a contract in January to keep him further. 

Hewitt !! Has anyone been up to last season’s standard (Other than flashes of quality from Alesandra) ??

As for Vaughan being frustrated. He should have the experience and quality to have come into the side and really stamped his authority, not only on Notts, but on the league. Even Nor Husin keeps him out of the side. 

Elliott Hewitt is an odd one, he can play but often gets over hyped by this fan club.

It's an interesting note to see comments from a portion of fans who want Dan Jones to return to action, I think Hewitt is far better as a CB but never as a RB. In midfield he's largely inconsistant but he can do a job there. He just needs to motivate himself and get stuck in.

Sorry, I don't agree. Hewitt is a good player and was an important member of the team that made the play-offs last season. He hasn't suddenly become rubbish. If we just get rid of every player who goes through a bad patch we'll just have an enormous turnover of players and will never achieve anything at all. How about trying to make the best out of what we've got?

Hewitt came to this club with no first team experience and played under a multitude of managers, all with their own ideas. Only Kevin Nolan had a firm idea of what role he was most suited for and he duly blossomed. This season he's been used as a right-back again, confidence has dropped and a period on the sidelines would probably do him good. But that's no reason to show the door to one of only two players we have who can give us a bit of stability in the middle.

@DangerousSausage It's not a bad patch, he's generally inconsistent and very poor.

This season he's been shocking under Kevin Nolan and still got picked, under Harry Kewell he's been awful and if he doesn't improve under the next manager it will be time to see him move on. He doesn't offer a lot, he just works hard and there's not enough positive assets from him that make me want to see him remain.

Last season he was outstanding most of the time but when you need him and Notts are poor, he goes missing.

6 minutes ago, upthepies said:

@DangerousSausage It's not a bad patch, he's generally inconsistent and very poor.

This season he's been shocking under Kevin Nolan and still got picked, under Harry Kewell he's been awful and if he doesn't improve under the next manager it will be time to see him move on. He doesn't offer a lot, he just works hard and there's not enough positive assets from him that make me want to see him remain.

Last season he was outstanding most of the time but when you need him and Notts are poor, he goes missing.

Not many of the players have played well under kewell and that does excuse elliot hewitt but he needs to be his best.

On 10/11/2018 at 23:06, DangerousSausage said:

Sorry, I don't agree. Hewitt is a good player and was an important member of the team that made the play-offs last season. He hasn't suddenly become rubbish. If we just get rid of every player who goes through a bad patch we'll just have an enormous turnover of players and will never achieve anything at all. How about trying to make the best out of what we've got?

Hewitt came to this club with no first team experience and played under a multitude of managers, all with their own ideas. Only Kevin Nolan had a firm idea of what role he was most suited for and he duly blossomed. This season he's been used as a right-back again, confidence has dropped and a period on the sidelines would probably do him good. But that's no reason to show the door to one of only two players we have who can give us a bit of stability in the middle.

Sorry @DangerousSausage"Hewitt is a good player".... I need to go to see a psychiatrist then for counselling.... Football should be an easy game, if you keep the ball, you have nothing to fear as Howard Wilkinson used to preach.

Seemingly every time Hewitt is put under pressure, he kicks the ball forward aimlessly and loses possession. If we to seriously progress as  a football club, we need better

i respect how hard he works most of the time but he just seems a wasteful player.

hes like haydn hollis, people say hes young and has potential but hes not done enough with his chance. i fail to see how elliott hewitt should start based on his home performances.

Never a first team starter, he has only excelled when paired with players like Ryan Yates who did the stuff Elliott Hewitt simply can't. Good player to be in and around the squad but I feel his biggest down fall is the fact he will move to anywhere on the pitch just to play. He's not consistent enough at the best of times and this allows him to be become lost.

• Chris unfeatured this topic

The next manager needs to access the squad and see which players can't perform to a level that is required and then off-load them and down the line replace them with better players. No player should be a "squad player" though, they need to be good enough to start.

Archived