PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

FA Cup - The Dale (A)

Team: Rochdale AFC

Date: 07/11/2021

Where: Crown Oil Arena

What line-up should Ian Burchnall opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Anyone else feel this will be a good test to see how we can compete against a League two team?

I really want to see Notts progress, a good cup run could bring so much more merit than just the prize money. It can give the squad some excitement and self-belief, which goes along way but for us fans, it gives us a taste of a good day out and most likely against a team whom we haven't faced for a few years.

I'd like Notts to be mindful of injuries, whilst giving the odd player a chance.

Matt Palmer needs to start, he does so much of the ball work that often gets unnoticed. His vision and ability to spot a pass, could lead to more chances. I'd partner him with Ed Francis, I know Frank Vincent has done well, but I just feel someone like Francis would enjoy more of the ball against a team like Rochdale.

Ian Burchnall will have his plans and whatever happens, it's a day out but I do hope for a win.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I dislike Rochdale ever since the season we won the league, their fans whinging about us cheating to win the league.

I would love it if we gave a chance to some of the fringe players and, used the in form squad members then smashed them.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

A nice cup run would be nice for Notts, we haven't enjoyed one for awhile now. Rochdale aren't a difficult team to play against, going to their ground will give them the home comforts but if Notts buckles down and works hard.

There's no reason why a victory couldn't end up coming back home to Meadow Lane.

• Like 3

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,904
  • Days Won:  17

If Notts go and play like we know they can, don't see why we can't progress to the next round. COYP.  

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

i think notts will put on a good display but even if this happens and the result is not what we expect. i will be content with it,

• Like 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

Play no fear football, with smart but less obvious risks and Notts could reap the rewards.

On paper, I think Notts looks the more creative outlet.

• Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

League two sides shouldn't hold any fear from us, in fact it looks as though there are probably at least half a dozen sides that would be comfortable in that league.

Keep it tight at the back and nick a goal up the other end.

Only downside of a good cup run from what I can see is that we would be putting our players in the shop window.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

On 04/11/2021 at 14:35, Chris said:

Anyone else feel this will be a good test to see how we can compete against a League two team?

It might show where Notts needs to improve, or it could show that there is the quality within the team to compete against a very average League Two team.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  106
  • Days Won:  0

Why should either side fear each other? It's a game of football, both teams will have comforts with quality. I want to see both teams give it their alll.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

@Joshua If the players don't panic and just enjoy themselves, it will be a good test.

I have a feeling Notts will be quite comfortable.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I can't see IB making lots of changes, if anything I think the choice is whether to start with the team that finished against Grimsby or stick with the 3-5-2.

I think it'll be close and it's the first game in a long time where we go into a game under no real pressure so will that suit us more? Players should be up for it though and I see no reason why we can't provide a little cup upset. 

Can't remember why it's a Sunday though, is it on the BBC Sport website or something? There's only 3 FA Cup games on at 3 o'clock surely they're aren't going to put final score on just for that!

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Rochdale are unbeaten in 4 in the league so it's a battle between 2 in form sides. Will both teams go with their usual lineups or will there be changes? I think Rochdale will make a few changes to their side but not many after Bolton crushed them in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday. I can see Notts making a few changes. The league is the important thing. A cup run would be nice but we'll save that for the FA Trophy. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  1

2-2 will be the score I feel, with a replay being forced to play out at Meadow Lane.

I think Notts will start off strong, then get pegged back to level terms, only to take the lead again but to lose it near the final minutes of the game.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

On 04/11/2021 at 15:53, CliftonMagpie said:

I dislike Rochdale ever since the season we won the league, their fans whinging about us cheating to win the league.

I would love it if we gave a chance to some of the fringe players and, used the in form squad members then smashed them.

Keith Hill's holier-than-thou whining was seriously annoying and made winning the championship ahead of them all the more sweet.

In the present day, there isn't really any pressure on us. Rochdale seem to have hit form and will be feeling confident, but I'd still like to have a good go at them instead of giving them too much respect. For what it's worth, I think it'll be a tight game and ultimately a draw. 

23 hours ago, menzinho said:

I can't see IB making lots of changes, if anything I think the choice is whether to start with the team that finished against Grimsby or stick with the 3-5-2.

Consistency is the key, but the odd change could save legs for the league ties.

Personally, I wouldn't drop any of our big names, unless they're carrying a knock or, in risk of an injury. Rochdale should be a team that will want to play direct and, on the ground - so I hope the scrappy side that could occur is set to a minimum.

1-1 so far, Kyle Wootton puts the ball into the net with his head.

Ruben Rodrigues almost got a second, but it didn't cause the Rochdale keeper any trouble. First half sounded like we failed to get grips their tactics, but this second half more seems to be coming out way.

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

One all and a replay, just as I predicted on Facebook. Surely that's got to be worth points in the prediction league?? 

Not a shabby result, was hoping we'd match them and it appears we've done just that. Just a shame we didn't finish them off. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

Won't finish anyone off if we keep squandering easy chances

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Great result. It's an extra game that we could do without but there's a good chance of making the 2nd round. I wonder if the replay will be on the telly?

• Like 1

It's a very good draw for us.

I have seen some comments about the football being poor in the first half, yet the second half it sounded better. Most of the chances I heard came Notts' way, so that's a positive. I'm not worried about Notts missing chances, at least they're being created. I think we'll get the job done at Meadow Lane, I'm not fussed about the extra fixture either. We've got depth and, can rotate where needs be.

It sounded like Cal Roberts had an usual game by his standard, I noticed on Twitter is dad went - it's a shame he didn't score.

When we play at home, it might be worth bringing him on from off the bench.

• Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Either team could have got another goal and won, but Notts grabbed the draw which is all that matters.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

I would hope that if Notts fails to win at Meadow Lane and that we hit another blip, fans don't jump to the assumption its related to this. You have to respect the draw, in the first half it didn't seem likely to happen.

I'll be at the home rematch. 👍