Ray Trew comments.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Ray Trew has posted on the other forum regarding signings, sponsorships, the season ahead and back-room staff. Whilst I am against him engaging with fans in this way, what he said is interesting.\

We will announce this week, the biggest shirt sponsorship deal the club has ever signed. Its also probably a bigger deal than any League 1 club has including the big teams in that League. Money is in the bank.

There are number of players we are negotiating with both English and Foreign. There are two we have agreed terms with and are waiting there return from holiday to sign. Both are midfielders.

Ricardo wants quality not quantity so our squad be be between 23 and 25 players. We have agreed terms with 2 midfielders and are just awaiting there return from holiday for them to put pen to paper. We have made a very good offer to a Championship striker who would be our new Hughesy, but if he doesn't sign we have others lined up. We are in talks with two pacey wingers that can also score and hopefully in the next week or so we can finalise these deals. There are a number coming in for trial the first week we are back and these are various nationalities. On paper and video clips we have seen they look quality but Ricardo wants to see them in the flesh before he makes up his mind on them.

Regarding pre-season home games:

Yes one you will like i am sure but i am sworn to secrecy by my wife right now. We have one more to sort out then all will be announced.

When asked if some players currently on the books will be leaving:

In a word, yes.

We are constructing one (a squad) behind the scenes. Once these have been released it will highlight our intentions and that is to bounce back at the first attempt.

In response to the following questions:

1) As best as can be guessed as to what other clubs will likely spend, how 'ambitious' can fans expect our playing budget to be this season? I.e., "best 18?" Top half? Top 6? etc.

Its hard to say right now but i anticipate we would have a Top Budget in this League. I will be certainly more than we had in League 1 because i want to get out at first attempt.

I know Pompey are splashing the cash, I think Orient will offload and with a warrant out for there owner there future looks grim. I am also told Luton intend spending big but time will tell.

2). What are some of the details of this 'transfer panel'? How is it structured, who will it consist of (if any changes are expected) and what is its relationship with the manager?

Let me begin by saying myself and Aileen have a great relationship with Ricardo and we will put on a fans forum at the start of the campaign so you can ask his this question directly.

Previously apart from the Budget, the manager has been responsible for all signings. We had muted to both Shaun and Greg thats is proven the more players you use, the worse you will do and this was borne out last season. So we decided before we appointed a new manager we would introduce a new system into the club. Not rocket science but i would like to say more accountability. We have a panel made up of Myself, CEO, Manager, Assistant Manager, Head of Recruitment and one other director (we rotate this). We do much more research that has previously been done, we look at videos from Wyscout and take into account his medical history. So far it seems to be working well and the manager is very happy with this process.

3). Can we expect any further changes at boardroom level, i.e. in its personnel makeup or in any other significant capacity?

Yes this week there will be an announcement of a new FD. We are still looking in expand the Board further but anyone joining us, has to bring a skill we dont have currently.

4). What will be our main footballing strategy going into the new season, and should fans expect it to adhere rigidly to a particular philosophy, or is the strategy to be more flexible? For example, do we intend to rely heavily on training and utilizing upcoming youth/young players? Should we expect a large or a lean squad? Are we mostly looking to uncover diamonds in the rough or going more for well known 'super stars' (in so far as there are at this level?)? etc. I.e. what's the footballing plan, and how rigidly should fans expect we'll stick with it?

The philosophy is simple. To entertain and attain promotion.

5. Are there any particular position we should expect to target a player of exceptionally good quality for this level? Or are there any positions we expect to provide with a significantly large amount of cover? E.g., it's been a while since we've had a super-star player the likes of Hughsie, and last season we were overrun with midfielders. Does the transfer panel and/or manager intend to bringing a supposed 'star' player for any particular position? Or does the manager seem to think that a particular position is the key to winning football (e.g. Curled often suggested that the midfield was most important).

Yes we are adding to the team what we would regard as 3 exceptional talents. 1 striker, 1 winger and 1 midfield (This player has agreed terms and i think when we announce his signing it will show our intent)

6. How much money does the club owe to Ray Trew and how much debt does it have to others?

It owes me very little because periodically i convert all the money i put in, into shares. Anyone Chairman thinking he will get his money back out if he keeps it in as loans is deluding himself. I dont know off the top of our head, but we have very little debt for a football club

7. Does the board have any intention of seeking any further outside investment and if so how? If not, why not?

My mind is very open to further investment. However, i have a mission to make this club sustainable so any monies raised by new investment would be spent on the infrastructure and not the team. By that i mean it is my intention to own our own training facility which can accommodate all our teams right up from U8's to the Pro team

8). While we have all moved on, a personal curiosity I have is why was Craig Short sacked? Aileen alluded on here at the time that there were important reasons other than what was going on on the pitch. What were those reasons she was talking about?

I have no idea what Aileen was alluding to. The fact is i thought we could go straight through League 1 and when results was going our way i acted. Yes in hindsight it is a regret of mine. That said there is no other manager i have regretted sacking, All were sacked in my opinion for justifiable reasons i.e. poor performances on the pitch

9) Why was Martin Allen sacked? Malc (fan liaison guy) said on here at the time that when fans found out what really happened we'd understand that he needed to be sacked, but we never really did find out anything other than rumours or here-say. What happened that was so controversial? Curiosity still keeps my interest on this one as well.

I dont want to say too much on this subject because myself and Martin remain friends. All i am prepared to say and this and i have said this to him personally so its not breaking confidences, Is he wanted to run the club from the very top down to the people who clean the stands.

10) how much was the transfer fee in selling Ben Davies? Davies claimed that Craig Short told him that the club was looking to sell him on early in the first year of the League 1 campaign, but as far as I recall theclubdenied that. What is the truth and figures of that transfer? And yes, we know that Davies asked for a transfer, but what were the behind-the-scenes events leading up to his request?

I can't remember to be honest. It was circa £250k plus add ons. We had no desire to sell Ben. In fact we were initially vehemently opposed to this as we didn't want to dismantle the squad. Ben handed in a transfer request its as simple as that

11). Notts have gone through an abundance of managers since Ray and Aileen bought the club. Given the lack of success thus far, and hopefully Moniz is the right man to have for the long-term, how has the club changed its strategy for recruiting a manager? In other words, where did we go wrong in manager recruitment in the past, how have these mistakes been corrected, and what criteria have the club identified as most important in selecting a manager and in its overall structure of manager recruitment?[

I signed Craig initially because i wanted to try something different. I didn't want a manager out of work because he is only out of work because he failed somewhere else.

I then signed Paul Ince followed by Martin Allen because both i thought had of this league. Sadly they didn't work out so i went outside of the box again with the others. It worked for other clubs...Nigel Adkins was Scunny's physio and look what he has done in his career, then you look at Eddie Howe and what he has achieved at Bournemouth and Burnley. I mention Burnley because whilst i like Shaun Dysche the team is Eddie Howes. So we wanted to do find a gem like these. It didnt work out so i have gone for a experienced manger this time and both my fingers and legs are crossed.

Ben Davies potential signing?

The reason we didn't go after Westcarr is that would be a step backwards and the manager thought he didn't have any pace, i am afraid the same applies to Ben. He hasn't played enough fist team football these past two seasons either.

Louis Laing signing?

No he is not. We have approached him but right now he wanting to play at a higher level subject to him getting a club. If he has not got a club by beginning of July he said we would speak again

Regarding the situation with Jones/Bajner/Thompson (now signed for Wycombe):

Did not answer question.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

There's a phrase, shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted......reading the above, the budget for L2 will be higher than L1, maybe it's just me but if the right amount of investment was put in at L1 level, we wouldn't have to worry about L2 now would we? I'm still not convinced Mr Trew knows what he is doing to be honest. Very much reactive rather than proactive.

There's a phrase, shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted......reading the above, the budget for L2 will be higher than L1, maybe it's just me but if the right amount of investment was put in at L1 level, we wouldn't have to worry about L2 now would we? I'm still not convinced Mr Trew knows what he is doing to be honest. Very much reactive rather than proactive.

I'm not totally convinced either. However, what he has mentioned above is at least a bit exciting, rather than the eternal silence from the club recently (except the grass growing!).

Think they may have it wrong with B. Davies, I don't think you need much pace to play in the centre of midfield, which I think he could have done. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I just hope the positives actually happen, we need a good season and for things to reconnect around the club. If we can get the investment to move forward, gates increasing and then I think the right type of signings will happen.

Good news regarding the shirt sponsor, I wonder who it is.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Again this is typical Notts though. Nothing happens, fans moan, chairman goes onto a dodgy internet forum and gives answers alluding to a brill season with brill signings on the way and top class etc... It all turns out to be a load of rubbish and the chairman was just a little merry and got carried away, which he does regularly (not his fault though as it is supposed to be a passionate game and I stand by him wanting to give the best for the club.)

I just wish he would learn to announce things when they are signed, sealed and are complete, not 'nearly' there.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

@hissingdwarf, this is exactly why I am disillusioned with the club. I understand Ray's desire to answer questions, as the current affairs pretty much calls for that but its how he goes about it.

This type of thing plays into the hands of the haters of the existing board.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  1

Some interesting information, good to find out more about how the transfer panel works. Will take the 'exceptional talent' we are signing with a pinch of salt until I see it though

• Content Count:  648
  • Days Won:  4

Just out of interest why don't you like RT doing this, SDA?

A: He's been on that forum in the past, and eluded to certain things, such as signings, that never materialised.

B: On that forum, there can easily be a couple of idiots sat behind a computer screen giving it the big licks, who can easily drown out the rest of the fans. As rumoured, both the Trews' spend a lot of time browsing that forum, and I don't think it's a good way to gage fans' opinion. 

One of his first posts the other night started like this: "You don't have a clue what is takes to run a football club, so how your in a position to make this judgement defies logic". 

C: A standard press release or statement outlining his points is a far better way to reach the wider Notts audience, even if it's from the OS. Even asking fans' to send questions via e-mail and answering them that way would be more productive, IMO.

• Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  0

A: He's been on that forum in the past, and eluded to certain things, such as signings, that never materialised.

B: On that forum, there can easily be a couple of idiots sat behind a computer screen giving it the big licks, who can easily drown out the rest of the fans. As rumoured, both the Trews' spend a lot of time browsing that forum, and I don't think it's a good way to gage fans' opinion.

One of his first posts the other night started like this: "You don't have a clue what is takes to run a football club, so how your in a position to make this judgement defies logic".

C: A standard press release or statement outlining his points is a far better way to reach the wider Notts audience, even if it's from the OS. Even asking fans' to send questions via e-mail and answering them that way would be more productive, IMO.

Even if they do, why are my views not appreciated? yours or anyone for that matters on here?

I think it comes across as desperate when disregard your fan base.

Very rude to ignore others too.

Even if they do, why are my views not appreciated? yours or anyone for that matters on here?

I think it comes across as desperate when disregard your fan base.

Very rude to ignore others too.

I don't really understand your post to be honest. 

:unsure:  :unsure:

My point is,

The Trews acknowledge one portion of fans which are abusive towards them, yet disregard another. It's fine if he wants to interact with fans, yet he posted on that other **** message board when it existed and for me they blatantly ignore us here. I am thankful they don't post here TBF, they turn sites into a side show.

If they are going to answer the fans views, do it at fan forums at the MLSB and actually turn up.

Via email is just as bad!

The comments do seem a last ditch effort to appease them, by them I mean ncm in general.

I think this question should answer itself @Dan, wait for their next meltdown.

My point is,

The Trews acknowledge one portion of fans which are abusive towards them, yet disregard another. It's fine if he wants to interact with fans, yet he posted on that other **** message board when it existed and for me they blatantly ignore us here. I am thankful they don't post here TBF, they turn sites into a side show.

If they are going to answer the fans views, do it at fan forums at the MLSB and actually turn up.

Fair point, PON probably has more real fans but perhaps far less ego trips which seems to be the principle of the problem for me. I left that place because it had reached a point where you just wanted to discuss Notts with fans. Anyway, both have said they wouldn't use it on multiple occasions.

Ray quit Twitter because he was being flagged up by them.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

My point is,

They do have a habit of only reacting to the abusive ones, particularly when things aren't going well. That thread was more sensible than most, but things will turn again.

I don't think NCM is an appropriate platform to address the fans for the reasons you mentioned. I think a Q&A session on the OS, with fans being invited to send in questions, would be better. We have an official website and Magpie Player - there's plenty of opportunity there to address all fans.

Another problem is that he is often asked about players and signings and he often just can't help himself. In a way that encourages me because it shows his enthusiasm, but as the chairman he often runs the risk of stepping on the manager's and players' toes. Having a list of questions to mull over for a day before answering would be better than pouring his heart out on an internet message board and making comments on the spur of the moment that he might regret later.

Regardless of sense, they have no reason to air their views on just one message board. I think it would be more formal here for example but I would never suggest to totally ignore one. I just don't see why they address them as the only section of the Notts County fan base.

I doubt things would get out of order here either but perhaps that is what they want?

• Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I think they simply use the board that most people read, and for all its problems that is NCM. If they chose PON as "their" forum we could expect a lot of trolls to join.

The best way to avoid the troublemakers and reach as many people as possible would be to use the club's existing channels - the OS, Magpie Player and the club's Facebook page. Maybe fans' questions could be answered in a regular filmed interview put out on the OS, FB and MP?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's sort of going off the actual subject now folks, lets discuss the comments made.

I think they simply use the board that most people read, and for all its problems that is NCM. If they chose PON as "their" forum we could expect a lot of trolls to join.

The best way to avoid the troublemakers and reach as many people as possible would be to use the club's existing channels - the OS, Magpie Player and the club's Facebook page. Maybe fans' questions could be answered in a regular filmed interview put out on the OS, FB and MP?

Just to clarify, we have very good stats and people spend quite some length reading our content. We average very impressive page views, however I know what's meant by the above. Trolls are not a problem either, as I am we could cut them out but I am happy with our direction.

With regards to informing the fans, I think it's where press releases come into it.

Arrange to speak to BBC Nottingham, Nottingham Post or just up a chairman's message on the OS. There's no need to open questions up to the supporters, as this just leads to people expecting news and then taking it for granted. This is why I am personally interested in club events like fan forums because it's the correct platform to answer questions, however I do feel Mr Trew should add his opinion so that fans can see it - I just wouldn't answer every Tom, **** or Harry.

Lets just hope he is not shot down again for his comments, the way I see it he is just excited about the new season. @notts-joe is right, we should get back on subject but I think it says more about the club itself.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350
  • Days Won:  1

I have to be fair, I do wished Ray wouldn't put it all out there in the way that he does.

It leads to being hi-jacked and negative feedback, what he says in principle there is not much wrong with it, bar announcing signings which haven't yet signed but it could be worse. He could have named them or a fan could have asked if it was so and so, to which he could have alerted the opposition and all it takes is for one club to come in and offer more money.

The news is welcomed as it gives us something to discuss and to be excited about, yet I do fear what will happen if the sponsor is not up to scratch and the mongs of this club decide to be negative.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i do want to say for what pon stands for and for all the work fans like @notts-joe do, some recognition would be nice. lets face it, it would not harm to join in with both sides and then they could get a balance. i cannot help but feel certain people end up being taken for granted and the whole 'i wont post on mad' thing is a joke.

that said, i will wait for news which is official before i get excited.

i hope this sponsor is a long term thing and not a one off, the club should network better. 

• Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

We will announce this week, the biggest shirt sponsorship deal the club has ever signed. Its also probably a bigger deal than any League 1 club has including the big teams in that League. Money is in the bank.

I wonder if this is the news which he referred to when fans felt he mean't warnock would be coming back to manager us? He said at the lifeline event we had investment coming in.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

This is very interesting, more so because its in the bank but bigger than any League 1 team? Quite the powerful comment, considering we did not know that long ago how our budget would compare with League 2 teams.

Will hope it leads the way.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381

We used to do a lot of work with local businesses, I know boots are letting people go but could they be the sponsor?

• Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

Lets hope the non believers actually get a taste of medicine and actually give Ray a break. I like the fact he is prepared to mix with fans, I just wished that it would not always include the lunatics. I have to say, from reading thread it seems others agree with me but I will not go there out of respect for the boss.

Whoever this sponsor is, thank you for the money. Now lets push on and regain promotion to league 1.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

Seems a bit of a stunt to answer questions which brings optimism the day before a signing is made.

Archived