• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,268
  • Days Won:  80

Game 7 - The Dons (A)

Team: Milton Keynes Dons

Date: 09/09/2023

Where: Stadium MK

mkdons.png.a5157b1ed8ec70e903ce066879bf9

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I think I said this last week, this will be our toughest test so far, let’s hope we are up to it, looks like another big following of away supporters which will lift the lads. A draw would be a good result, a win would be fantastic but if we lose it won’t be the end of the world.

I’m happy if the team give their all that is all I ask.

• Like 19

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

mk dons at their ground will be difficult.

they always try to play championship style football, quite different to us. they have a lot of pace and a lot of quality in their team. it could be a very difficult game. our away form will hopefully start to match our home form. this would be a good indicator as to how we may do over the course of the season. honestly, i would take a point.

i know i mentioned improving our home form but a draw would be a positive start, ideally we would go play well and come back with all three points but i think we will be quite evenly matched. with them making it hard for us. i dont think expect us to outplay them by much or if at all. dont take this as a negative or a lack of faith, i fully believe we will give a good account of ourselves but i think mk dons have been slightly better in overall form than us.

• Like 13

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I think we just need to focus on playing positive, forward-passing football against MK Dons. There will be times when we do need to go back, but we should avoid going all the way back where possible. I think they would punish us if we got caught napping while passing the ball to Aiden Stone. They are one of those teams who thrive on teams that make slip-ups or mistakes, so I hope we make it as hard as possible. The likely outcome of a draw stands out to me. I think we will cancel each other out.

A win would be nice, but I just don’t see it myself. Both us and them know what to do to keep the score to a minimum and both enjoy having possession of the ball.

• Like 17

• Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  2

MK Dons aren’t undefeatable, but they are a good side. I think it will be a good gauge to see where we stand compared to another team in very good form, both home and away. If we take the lead, it must be defended and protected to the best of our ability because they can get back into matches.

• Like 8

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I watched Crewe vs Fake Dons and it was educational. There was so much room down the wings for Crewe and the Fakes did nothing to stem the flow. Their left back was awful. Crewe pressed them around midfield and forced mistakes. The Fakes are a decent side but they don't do well under sustained pressure. It will be a tough game but LW will have seen what I saw. Opportunities will present themselves. 

• Like 17

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

MK Dons will be a tough team to play against, as they are much better at home.

I don't think they will leave as much space open as they did against Crewe. The thing is, MK Don's started off brightly, but I think they massively started to underestimate Crewe who pushed them back. MK Dons for the most part of that game did leave much to explore, but that's away from home. Having seen all of their highlights so far this season, plus watching some extra footage of extended games, I can safely say that they should be much more positive within their play.

They have a tendency to play long balls from the back, whilst they are feeling the team out and attack with more speed when the game opens up. If they can control the game, we'll see less of them lumping the ball forward and more of them trying to pass with a real turn of pace.

When defending, MK Dons will adopt a compact and organized strategy. This creates an opportunity for us to exploit the gaps in their defence through clever passes or powerful shots from outside the penalty area.

Teams like Doncaster had their better chances from distance, with Craig MacGillivray not looking particularly good from these types of strikes.

I hope we can play in such a calm way, that we use our ability to play in narrow space and pace to and around, making MK Dons have to pay attention. This would make the pressure more intense for them and less likely something they would cope well with. If we just run at them and put crosses into their penalty box, 90% I believe will be collected by either their keeper or by a defender who will just clear it.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

I would be content with a draw in this game away from home. The next couple of fixtures after this one should be areas where Notts could pick up more points and solidify their position at the top of the table. A win, however, would make me feel very happy and even prouder than I already am seeing us at the top of League Two. I am hopeful that Luke Williams will spring a few positive surprises which MK Dons might not be expecting and therefore won’t have planned for. Not that he needs to make any changes, mind you. His tactics have been working well so far and the team has been performing consistently. But a few surprises could give us the edge we need to secure a win and continue our momentum. Regardless of the outcome, I am confident that Notts will continue to perform well and make us proud.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

MK Dons may be a difficult team to face, but I would rather play them now than before the Doncaster Rovers game. The players must fight and work hard to make sure something positive comes from the game. I don’t care about winning as such, provided the performance is good and we don’t lose.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

It sounds like MK Dons are missing one or two of their regular players. I have no idea if that will be of any benefit, but I think it’s safe to say both teams will have depth, even on their bench. I am hoping Notts give a steady performance; I will be at the game. I am hoping to see many more Notts fans in good spirits on the day.

• Like 13

• Content Count:  140
  • Days Won:  0

I will be watching the game via iFollow. I have only managed to see a handful of games, but this is one I am excited about being able to watch. I do hope the travelling Notts fans can make it a lively occasion. As for MK Dons, they’re a team I want Notts to win against. It would be nice if we could do AFC Wimbledon a favour.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  285

MK Dons will likely feel the same as us, that it will be a challenging game. I have read that they have three players on international duty. I cannot confirm if this is true as I do not know much about them, but if it is, then fair play to them for not requesting for the game to be rearranged. This demonstrates a level of commitment to the league, their fans, and their desire to perform well. I would imagine that their decision may have been different if their form was poorer or if they had more players out. Nevertheless, their decision still deserves recognition. Hopefully, Notts will perform well.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  419

MK Dons are currently dealing with injuries to some of their strikers, and it is unclear if they will be fully recovered in time for the upcoming game on Saturday. It is still unknown if their absence is due to international commitments or if it's purely due to injuries. Despite this setback, MK Dons are still considered to be a talented team. The majority of their players are established and experienced in the League One, meaning that they possess a significant level of quality. 

Considering the circumstances, it would be reasonable to accept a draw in the upcoming game. However, Luke Williams and the team will undoubtedly be aiming for all three points. Securing a victory at Stadium MK would require a stroke of genius and sheer determination. With the quality that MK Dons possess, it's not going to be an easy task for Notts.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  69

Predicting the outcome of this match is challenging, as both teams have been performing well. Notts hasn’t yet faced a tough game like this one away from Meadow Lane. All our home games have posed interesting challenges, although we’ve had a somewhat easier time and mixed results on the road. Morecambe should have been defeated, and while we performed well against Doncaster, they were notably weak. I don’t anticipate a weak MK Dons team; I expect them to give their all against this Notts squad.

• Like 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

I personally wouldn’t read too much into MK Dons and their injuries. We have to prepare for all scenarios as they may suddenly make a return to action. Defensively, Notts needs to block, tackle and clear the ball away from danger. Careful tackles though, as I imagine they may try to gain free kicks in dangerous positions on the pitch. This is one of the games which I have a lot of cautions about, as I think they are good enough to punish us for making any simple mistakes. If we can be 0-0 at half time or at least not have conceded, I will feel a lot more comfortable. It’s important for Notts to stay focused and not let their guard down.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  224

I hope we can avoid any upset if the worst happens. I don’t want to write Notts County off, but a team like MK Dons will always be the favourite at home, and it will take some time for Notts County to overcome this. We are a great side that is improving, but I do worry that they will just be the better team on the day. I would take a draw without any complaints.

• Like 6

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,742
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Over the years, I have always been impressed by Graham Alexander's teams, probably reinforced by players I liked and had seen play, ending up being signed by him.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/mk-dons/preview/preview-mk-dons-vs-notts-county-prediction-team-news-lineups_523466.html

• Like 2

• Content Count:  17

Like many people have said, this is going to be the biggest test of the season so far. Mk dons are a really good team, who like to play fast attacking football. Which could fall into notts advantage as we have the quality of players to play through their high press. 

Having jodi Jones unavailable is going to be a huge miss. Their is a lot of players that can come into that LWB position. In my opinion I think it will be chicksen that comes in but I wouldn't be disappointed seeing Tobi adebayo come in. 

Yet again we are taking well over 2000 fans to MK dons tomorrow. The fans have been amazing since the start of the season. They will be the difference in this game I'm sure. 

Can't wait to get down there tomorrow and support the lads. COYP 🖤🤍

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

I notice on an MK Forum they’re already doubting Alexander’s appointment;

We went 1-0 up and it all looked good, and I have to confess I was confident we would go onto win, but we just stopped playing and Crewe grew ever more confident. Gone was the confident passing and the high press and in came a lost shape and no apparent game plan and panic-stricken players just booting it long to nobody, but we shouldn’t be shocked we’ve seen it several times this season already, and according to Salford and Motherwell fans this is so the Alexander way.

You genuinely wouldn’t think they’re second in the league, most of their fans think they’re lucky to be there. They seem to think they start fast and play well for the first 30 minutes. So if we survive that we could well be on our way to anther 3 points. If one of or even all three of Mo Eisa, Jonathan Leko and Matthew Dennis are out that will undoubtedly help us.

One thing I think impacts us though is the weather, could be positive, could be a negative. Are we going to be able to press effectively when it’s nearly 30°c? Will it be off the pace and therefore end up leaving big gaps to play through. Or will we be able to just keep the ball, tire them out and cause them to leave gaps?

I notice we’ve got Chris Kavanagh as the ref, so we’ll see how much better a so-called top official is!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I think MK Dons fans tend to be negative as it is. If they are not winning games, then they seem wary of everything. Most didn’t come from when Wimbledon collapsed, no matter what they say. I wouldn’t read too much into what their fans think. It’s like someone judging Twitter as the majority of Notts fans’ opinions back before we got promoted. I trust they will make a game of it. They won’t be easy, but I feel Notts has the quality to do well. I think on paper we do have a stronger squad, but they may be stronger as a team.

• Like 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,502
  • Days Won:  9

Whether by luck or merit, MK Dons currently occupy second place and enjoy the home advantage. It is hoped that Notts can exert pressure on their opponents and incite dissatisfaction among their fans. While it is understandable that the MK Dons supporters may not be in high spirits following their relegation, they are known for their fickleness and propensity to criticize their club, even as they continue to support it. A win for Notts would demonstrate our strength as a team and give the MK Dons fans something to complain about.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567

I am not as worried. I think if we defend well and don’t make it easy for them, we will create chances. It’s just about making sure we hit the target enough. However good MK Dons are, if we get in our stride, I think they will struggle. It’s just a case of whether they let us or if we work hard enough. I think their team is pretty average.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,086

It will be a close game unless either team buckles under the pressure. This game would be perfect for Sky, but they seem slow off the mark in choosing their games. Despite hating BT Sports, this game would have been picked with the foresight of it being an interesting clash. If we pass the ball to Macca or if someone else creates an opportunity to score, we should grow in strength. If we concede, that is where it might become harder. Otherwise, it’s two decent teams trying to get their share of the points.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  129

Please, whatever happens, just express your pride in seeing Notts doing so well and encourage our form to continue in a way that we might enjoy further celebrations of going top. Notts having this success is vital for the club to move forward, no matter how difficult MK Dons are. If their fans are right, they’re lucky to be 2nd. I hope we can show them why we went above them. COYP

• Like 2

• Content Count:  210

I have no doubt that our lads will do us proud. I can see the game being similar to the Accrington Stanley home game, with us taking the lead, only for them to pull level. In the second half, I expect to see a much stronger performance from our team. If we turn on our best football, I think they would struggle because we are the real deal when it comes to passing football. The issue is, they may revert to hoofing the ball, and I’m not sure if we’ll be able to settle it down and play the way we prefer.

Our team has shown time and time again that they are capable of playing beautiful, flowing football. When we’re on form, it’s a joy to watch. However, teams like Accrington Stanley can disrupt our rhythm by resorting to long balls and physical play. It’s up to us to rise above that and impose our style of play on the game. If we can do that, I have no doubt that we’ll come away with a positive result.

• Like 1