Match Discussion: Game 9 - The Green (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,337
  • Days Won:  81

Game 9 - The Green (H)

Team: Forest Green Rovers

Date: 23/09/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

forestgreen.png.a1bb43af78f3f6c99976a072

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,343
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

From what I have seen of Forest Green Rovers, they have been incredibly poor and are clearly still being effected by their chairman Dale Vince's decisions. 

The good thing for us, is that their morale is extremely low and if we can get off to a good start, they should only drop their heads further. Even if this game were away from home, I would feel confident as FGR could potentially be the worst team we have faced. Worse than Doncaster Rovers and Salford City combined.

Our midfield will always be the key in getting a front foot on the game.

Holding the ball and making space, especially if we can make the FGR players chase the game should lead to chances. I am hoping we can achieve this without going all the way back to Aidan Stone, which I do understand why we do it - yet for the most part it just breaks our attacks, allowing the opposition to have a breather. When Stone resorts to kicking the ball long, usually it's to one player [David McGoldrick] and he's usually heavily marked.

I think we should exploit the centre of the park, whilst allowing the wider channels to draw their players out and in turn open the space in their penalty box.

It should be a good game; hopefully, they can rise to the challenge themselves and make a game of it.

• Like 16

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  17

I don't think we can go taking things for granted and predicting high score lines But, nevertheless I hope Notts will win. COYP.

• Like 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,052
  • Days Won:  162

i think they will try to be tight and compact, potentially parking the bus at times.

its something they have done against good teams, i watched their match against doncaster rovers and the issue in that game was their lack of focus. either side were all that impressive but doncaster did enough on goal to win the game 2-1. it was a very late decider for rovers, so fgr will feel hard done by to lose that game. i always feel teams in poor form will look at a club like notts who are in a healthy position and want to cause an upset.

notts should be fine but i think the score line will reflect a difficult game, with plenty of chances but a narrow result in the end.

@magpiejue it would be nice if we could get our first 4-0 or 5-0 win of the season, those are always things that give a promotion chasing team a boost.

• Like 8
  • Love 6

• Content Count:  388
  • Days Won:  0

I don’t believe Luke Williams will be glancing at the league table and assuming that Forest Green Rovers will be a walk in the park. This is far from the truth, but the Notts players simply need to make things difficult by maintaining possession of the ball. We are fortunate to have such an abundance of talent, making it hard to envision how a team that’s currently struggling could compete against a strong side. However, this could serve as additional motivation for them. I’m pleased that the match is taking place at Meadow Lane, but I do have concerns about the weather and whether rain might slow the pace of the game. The silver lining is that Notts has the ability to slow down games to suit their style, leaving it up to FGR to seize any opportunities during the match. I’m confident that opportunities will arise, but the absence of Aaron Nemane will be felt.

• Like 14

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,776
  • Days Won:  27

I’m excited to be returning to Meadow Lane and I believe we’ll hold our own against Forest Green. I do hope they don’t force us to attack the KOP in the first half, as it seems like a tactic they might employ to throw us off. Regardless, I’m confident we’ll rise to the occasion and ensure the game is energetic. I hope we can maintain our vocal support even as the weather gets chillier. It truly makes a difference at matches, and I reckon the FGR fans will need to bring their A-game to make an impression.

Jodi Jones could shift to the right, with Adam Chicksen stepping in on the left. If we keep the rest of the lineup unchanged and focus on feeding Macaulay Langstaff, we can seize our opportunities and give them a run for their money.

• Like 11
  • Love 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  80

A sensible and patient approach to the game will be crucial. I don’t anticipate Notts tearing them apart, but I do expect the opportunities to be thrilling. Notts needs to focus on creating quality chances. I’m optimistic for another clean sheet and victory.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  10,908
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

On paper you would think this will be an easy win, I just hope the players don’t get into that mindset(although I don’t think Williams will allow that). As long as we aren’t complacent we should win but it could be a potential banana skin. Fingers crossed.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  286

Forest Green might be the underdogs, but Notts have the chance to control the game. They need to stay calm, set the game’s pace, and create lots of chances. This will keep Forest Green on the defensive. Every Notts player needs to give their all. They should stay alert, focused, and ready to take every chance. With determination and the right mindset, Notts can do well.

Football is a mental and physical game. Notts need to trust their skills and play confidently. This can help them control the game and maybe even win. Let’s support Notts as they give their best on the pitch. With the crowd cheering them on, they can achieve great things. Come on, Notts!

• Like 12

• Content Count:  681
  • Days Won:  1

While I bear no ill will towards them, I must admit that I hold a strong dislike for the club. The chairman's attitudes and positions on various matters epitomize everything that is problematic in football. Vince's attempts to impose his dietary preferences, personal beliefs, and pet projects are far from commendable. Excuse the use of puns, but I sincerely hope that we overpower and defeat them convincingly. A resounding victory would undoubtedly bring me a sense of joy. However, I acknowledge that it is likely to be a closely contested match with a narrow scoreline.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,126
  • Days Won:  2

I am assured that Notts will perform admirably and achieve a favourable outcome. I would prefer Aaron Nemane to sit out this match rather than subsequent ones. This way, his record will be cleared for future games. I am hopeful that his replacement will be able to execute quicker throw-ins.

We can do without penalties for slow throw-ins, as they are not beneficial. I am anticipating that Jodi Jones, Sam Austin, and David McGoldrick will all be in the starting lineup. I believe Macaulay Langstaff will make his mark on the score sheet. Here’s hoping we avoid any hitches and do not end up with a draw or worse.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  546

Securing a win in the forthcoming match would not only keep Gillingham and Swindon on their toes, but it would also stand as a testament to our team’s grit and tenacity. It would send a clear message to our competitors that we’re not merely taking part, but we’re in it to win it. Maintaining our winning streak is about more than just racking up points; it’s about building momentum and cultivating a winning mindset within the squad. Each triumph bolsters our determination and reaffirms our faith in our capabilities. This self-belief can be the game-changer in nail-biting matches and tough scenarios. A victory would also give a much-needed lift to everyone involved with the team.

From the players and coaching staff to the fans, everyone reaps the benefits of the positive vibes that a win generates. This positivity can see us through gruelling training sessions, aid us in bouncing back from setbacks, and keep us focused on our objectives. As we approach the weekend, a win would also afford us the chance to rest and rejuvenate with a sense of achievement. It enables us to look back on our performance with contentment, pinpoint areas for improvement in a constructive way, and anticipate our next match with even excitement. A win is more than just three points on the board; it’s a catalyst for positive transformation, a source of motivation, and an emblem of our team’s potential. So let’s get out there, give it everything we’ve got, and keep this winning streak going!

• Like 10

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,552
  • Days Won:  9

Teams like Forest Green Rovers are precisely the ones against which we should be excelling. It’s crucial that we steer clear of yellow cards, a challenge that has become increasingly difficult due to recent rule changes and directives for match officials. I’m optimistic for an engaging, end-to-end game, with Notts clearly outshining their opponents.

The performance of Matt Palmer against them will be particularly intriguing to watch. Alongside Dan Crowley, Palmer should be more than capable of exploiting their weak defence. Their combined skills and strategic play could potentially create significant openings, thereby turning the tide in our favour. This match could serve as a testament to their abilities and the overall strength of our team. It’s these kinds of matches that truly test a team’s mettle, and I have high hopes for Notts in this regard.

• Like 8

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,367

Sooner or later, a team will give Notts a challenging match at Meadow Lane. In my opinion, Grimsby has been the strongest team to face us at home so far. I don’t anticipate Forest Green Rovers posing much of a threat; if we start off strong, I’d feel quite confident. If I were a supporter of theirs, I’d be hoping for a draw, which I believe would be a favourable outcome for them. Ultimately, the team that creates the opportunities will need to capitalise on them to gain anything from the match.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  916
  • Days Won:  3

Notts are demonstrating excellent form at home, and remaining undefeated is certainly an achievement worth striving for. I’d even venture to say that the winning streak is something we can take pride in. Despite Forest Green’s current performance, they have the potential to turn things around at any moment. My hope is to see Notts continue to enhance their defence, as the results should follow - assuming we create solid opportunities on the offensive end.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  296

If we create opportunities, I’m sure the game will be entertaining. So far, we’ve managed to avoid any disappointments from the officials. I don’t want to jinx it, but I hope we can secure a solid victory. Let’s hope for no unnecessary yellow cards and definitely no red cards for Notts.

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I think our possession based approach will make it tough for anyone to compete.  I think FGR are fragile and if we dominate possession as we can, score early then it could be an avalanche (hopefully).  If FGR gain in confidence then I think it could be closer, but I still hope for a stylish win for us. I'm coming up from East Kent, so I really hope so!!

• Like 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,476
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Forest Green are on a downward spiral and I think it will end in relegation to the Conference. They have scored 6 goals in 8 games. They have conceded 14. They lost to fellow strugglers Doncaster last Saturday.  A trip to Meadow Lane is not something they'll be looking to. It's hard to see anything other than a home victory. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,504
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

My knowledge of Forest Green Rovers is somewhat limited due to our time in the National League and their tenure in League Two. However, it would be a mistake to assume that the game will be a walkover and that Notts will secure a win before a ball has even been kicked. The outcome depends on numerous factors - if we perform well, a favourable result should follow. My hope is for competent officials who can effectively manage the game and curb unnecessary yellow cards.

A stern warning early on usually suffices. Our strategy should be to utilise Macaulay Langstaff effectively and attempt shots from outside the area. If they adopt a defensive strategy or aim for a draw, we need to apply relentless pressure.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  10,908
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I wasn’t at the game but it seemed a bit nervy at times. I’m looking forward to some feedback from people who went. I didn’t actually know Troy Deeney played for them until I saw he’d scored a hat trick last time I knew he was at Birmingham 

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,308
  • Days Won:  28

Seemed a very nervous game for fans towards the last half... good game in all.

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,961
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

In some ways, we were lucky. The "Burchnall" football philosophy seems to have continued at FGR, making for an entertaining but tense game. 

Our defensive frailties were exposed, Deeney just a superb forward at this level

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,343
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Credit to Forest Green Rovers, they are so far the best team to have played at Meadow Lane this season.

Whilst I don't think they deserved anything from the game, they made Notts work hard and Notts made themselves work even harder thereafter. I think we aided them in pushing us back, but Notts were relentless and good at creating goal-scoring chances. Tobi had a moment where he should have shot, selfishly he passed, but it seemed the wrong call for me. It was such a good position, I feel, it would have been harder to miss than to score.

Notts looked good at 2-0, we were firmly in control in the first half and FGR pressed and tried, but I thought we could end the game 5-0, or maybe concede one or two goals.

They started the second half much stronger than us, pushing and when they did manage to score - it had that knock-on effect we have seen in previous seasons where we crumble, then struggle to get a grip back of the game. This would have been one of those games where we lost, but felt cheated.

Forest Green Rovers did well to get back in the game, had it ended here I think a draw would have been quite fair. Had the game continued with them threatening, maybe they could feel unlucky not to have got something? I think the fact that we manage to get into a higher gear and make it 4-2, I think that's enough for me to say we deserved the win. As I said earlier, Tobi had a clear chance, as did other players. Yes, they hit the bar late on but aside from that, it was just flashes. We caused the Forest Green Rovers keeper to make some great saves.

Macaulay Langstaff managed to hold onto the ball, he passed on, and it ended up being struck goalwards by David McGoldrick and their keeper pulled off a remarkable save.

To be honest, I think we worked for our goals and in comparison we allowed them to score. I think at times Aidan Stone could have done better, most certainly we shouldn't have given the penalty away. That said, we showed great spirit and character to seal the win.

Jodi Jones was very unlucky at times, but I am not overly concerned about the goals we conceded. It was just one of those crazy games, where thankfully both teams really made a game of it. I think if Forest Green Rovers had played better in the first half, maybe they would deserve something or even more, but not based on their first 45 minutes. Second half, they were dangerously on it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,958
  • Days Won:  5

Notts played exceptionally well. In the first half, Notts effectively handled the pressure and constant harassment from Forest Green Rovers. They didn’t pose many threats in those 45 minutes, but their pressing and build-up play looked promising. We should have easily won 4-1 or maybe 4-2. We made some foolish errors which allowed them to make more of a match of it, but we have to accept that sometimes a team will give us more trouble.

• Like 1
  • Love 1