Rob Milsom - should he have stayed?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

When Notts released him last time, I was a little mixed about it. I think in midfield, he does quite well, yet he never seems 100% fit and his motor has never seemed to be the best for me. After he returned on loan, I felt he did okay, but still looked very unfit. His form dipped and triggering the signing of his contract sort of annoyed me.

I would have been content to leave the loan deal to expire.

I have read a lot of comments from fans being disappointed by his release, I'm not shocked. As a left back, he was extremely poor going forward, he struggled to keep up and he often would make the wrong decisions. His passing also seemed to become shocking, including his crosses.

Honestly, I feel Notts made the correct call. He's been poor and seems vastly overrated.

I don't fault his effort, just his ability and fitness.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

When he first came to Notts on loan I was happy he played well did his bit but as the season went on he just wasn’t worth keeping.. so I’m pleased he’s gone cause it shown he didn’t want to be there.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

He looked useful but only ever in spells, pushing him to left back in my opinion limited the attacking play. He did much better when Harry Kewell was in charge, he just seemed to be playing out his time otherwise.

Always seemed nervous on the ball too.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Glad he's gone. He is a very limited player. He's not brave enough with the ball, always passing back. Throws in the odd tackle but nowhere near enough to be regarded as a battling tough presence in midfield.

At left back he may have looked comfortable, but he never really got forward enough and helped out the winger. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  633
  • Days Won:  1

I don't question his commitment or effort, his ability? That is a different question.

He always seemed to play with his back to the goal, when he received the ball he hung onto it or ran into danger. Some of the best movement created was wasted with Milsom struggling to keep up with the tempo. I like him, like I say I don't fault his effort or attitude but the clubs made the right decision.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I thought he filled in quite well at left back but he did look useless going forward. I think he played too defensive...

I am not really bothered either way, if he stayed or went.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

There's an interesting flow of opinions coming in across the platform, I'm still surprised people would have kept him but it makes for s great discussion. [emoji1303]

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

It's the right decision to release him, there's better left backs for sure and even in midfield Notts can do better. He tried, I respect that and I think moving the club forward there needs to be players exactly like Rob Milsom decluttered from the club.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

He was ok at times but he wasn't good enough and even though we are in a different league, he just didnt put in his all.

• Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

I assume the list of those released is purely down to reducing the wage bill. We are now a National League side and most of those released would be decent none league players and would find a place at other clubs, some even in league 2 I suspect !

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

6 hours ago, Truefootballfan said:

I assume the list of those released is purely down to reducing the wage bill. We are now a National League side and most of those released would be decent none league players and would find a place at other clubs, some even in league 2 I suspect !

smart clubs put a relegation clause into the players contracts, as they do with promotion. go up, you earn more and if relegated you reduce your wages.

it might be different with alan hardy, but i know the trews factored in every scenario and i see no reason why this would not be the case now. someone said on facebook that he agreed to terminate his contract, if true that was a noble gesture but the fact is he was not one of the best performers during the whole time he played. he was very one dimensional and lacking.

good call for me.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

@Truefootballfan or they're out of contract and been released to give the squad a refresh start.

It could be speculated that Neal Ardley didn't rate the players, but it's more than likely a case of seeing how much of the budget remains to strengthen the squad to his wishes. The National League won't be easy, Alan Hardy has come out with comments about "you can't buy success" and this upcoming campaign will be about proper hard work.

Robert Milsom was a ghost of the pitch, only praised for being one of few players to actually slide into challenges. His defensive work wasn't as good as people suggest either, look at Swindon and several of the home games before that. He gets caught out just as much as anyone else who has played left back. The difference is usually his mistakes didn't cost the team too badly.

• Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  2

I felt he did okay, well enough to remain. Being a regular within the first team is a different question.

Since he has been released, I do think the club could find someone more suited to playing left back. I hope they sign players to play certain positions but can be versatile if needed.

• Content Count:  138
  • Days Won:  0

His performances sum up the season for Notts, good at times but not good enough.

I also don't question his effort but he disappeared too much for my liking. He looked okay at left back, just when he got caught out which did happen a fair amount. He lacks pace too, so I think the decision is in the best interest for the club.

• Content Count:  363
  • Days Won:  0

Right decision for me.

I think Rob is a very good player when he's in form, but I do feel he's injury prone and a player who tends to struggle with fitness.

• Content Count:  1,099
  • Days Won:  2

Rob Milsom had to go, he was released before because he wasn't very good. He looked okay in a poor squad that couldn't defend properly, he did this well enough but he wasn't perfect. Can anyone say he's the strongest left back the club could attract??

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

I think he's better in midfield.

I would have also retained him as a useful squad player, he gives his most and that can be positive when he's in form.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

Gone really, he only stayed because he triggered a contract.

• Content Count:  908
  • Days Won:  3

He's had two spells, both times he wasn't the worst or the best. He did put in some very good performances mind.

Just not enough of them.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Better left backs out there with all due respect, someone more experienced and quicker needed.

Archived