Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Piethagoram

Patching leaves by mutual consent

Recommended Posts

An underused player in his time at Notts. He had promise and ability but never got a real run of games in the team. Good luck Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Patching might have worked under Kevin Nolan, but he seems a bit lightweight for League Two and the National League. If we had more stability, he could have got that experience from playing but I think this decision is best for all parties involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised, and not so surprised.

I think the loan options would have been quite slim for him, so it makes sense that he departs. He was vastly underused and quite possibly not up to scratch for what we need. He's pretty lightweight and not so much self driven, in this league having a pretty passer is a luaxary. Good luck to him mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sad that the shithouse Hardy shafted the club and our development side. Even after he’s gone the ripples still affect so many. I think Will could have done well for us long term but unfortunately we have to cut our cloth close to the seem for the foreseeable future. Good luck to the lad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will be one of those players who progresses better with experience and quality around him, something Notts right now cannot offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he doesn't not feature in the managers plans best to get rid before he disrupts the dressing room or becomes unhappy, its better this way for his career. If he finds the right club he could make something of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked it up - he played nine hours of football for us last season. That everyone seems to have completely forgotten it speaks volumes.

A young player doesn't necessarily have potential, there are so many ex-Manchester United / Chelsea trainees who disappear out of the pro game entirely. He has to demonstrate that he is making progress. Pierce Bird has done this and been rewarded with appearances and starts, while Patching has drifted away. And if Patching was a high earner, as many seem to think, then he would have been expected to be knocking on the door of the first team. He clearly wasn't, so he would have stagnated further at Notts, making this step the best for all involved.

Harsh maybe, as he's very young and needs to develop. But in order to develop he needs first team football, yet to get into the first team he has to demonstrate that he's worth it. He hasn't and so it's cheerio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

A young player doesn't necessarily have potential, there are so many ex-Manchester United / Chelsea trainees who disappear out of the pro game entirely.

i think all players have to have some form of spark or potential.

man city would not have kept him around if they did not think this, and i think prem sides understand that players devolope at different ages hence why they hold onto some that they have hopes for. issue with will patching for me was his average attitude to being a professional footballer. i never saw a sign of drive or self determine from him, releasing him might get this back and allow him to kick on.

he really does need to be playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fail to see why anyone would be disappointed, just because he arrived at Meadow Lane after leaving Manchester City it doesn't make him any good. He failed to deliver on the pitch and played part in our relegation, if he had some fight and desire to standout perhaps he wouldn't have been released.

He was to standard, waste of a shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just kids and glory fans who are wetting themselves over Will Patchings departure.

If he was any good, his talents would have been recognised and he would be playing more regularly. The excuses brandished by Neal Ardley is nothing more than PR to thank the player for mutually agreeing to end his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it, it will take more than 10 games to establish yourself as a player but at the same time you have to really want to start.

I always felt Will Patching looked decent.

It's just a shame isn't self motivated but that's what you get in the Premier League academies. Good luck to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to the lad, I hope it works out for him as it's always nice to see ex players do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blink1862 said:

It's just kids and glory fans who are wetting themselves over Will Patchings departure.

If he was any good, his talents would have been recognised and he would be playing more regularly. The excuses brandished by Neal Ardley is nothing more than PR to thank the player for mutually agreeing to end his contract.

I disagree. I'm sure there were more than just younger fans who said they would have kept Patching. 

The guy had the ability and potential but I think Ardley realised the circumstances and didn't want to jeopardise his development. The environment was not right. When you get yourself into a situation Notts did by January, your first instinct is to bring players in with experience. 

Tootle, Bird, Fitzsimons and Crawford praised his ability and apparently he had a good relationship with Neil Cox. Also if what Ardley said was nothing more than PR, why did he mention the stuff outside of football?

Leigh Curtis' article is about it all sums it up perfectly in my opinion.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/patching-departure-notts-county-down-3215896

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2019 at 23:09, ARLukomski said:

I disagree. I'm sure there were more than just younger fans who said they would have kept Patching. 

The guy had the ability and potential but I think Ardley realised the circumstances and didn't want to jeopardise his development. The environment was not right. When you get yourself into a situation Notts did by January, your first instinct is to bring players in with experience. 

Tootle, Bird, Fitzsimons and Crawford praised his ability and apparently he had a good relationship with Neil Cox. Also if what Ardley said was nothing more than PR, why did he mention the stuff outside of football?

Leigh Curtis' article is about it all sums it up perfectly in my opinion.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/transfer-news/patching-departure-notts-county-down-3215896

Leigh Curtis is a thrash writer, it's why he works for the Nottingham Post and never does any real journalism.

Most Notts won't remember who Will Patching is or was in 5 years time.

That will some up how good he is as a player, important players people remember but only a small minority will miss patching solely due to where he came from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He might aswell get some game play somewhere, its a waste to just not play him pretty much all season and pay his wages regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2019 at 22:46, themightymagpies said:

I fail to see why anyone would be disappointed, just because he arrived at Meadow Lane after leaving Manchester City it doesn't make him any good. He failed to deliver on the pitch and played part in our relegation, if he had some fight and desire to standout perhaps he wouldn't have been released.

He was to standard, waste of a shirt.

Your first sentence is spot on, how many academy youngsters get hyped, taken on by clubs and then just float away at the end of their contracts? It happens so many times. It's a bit harsh to blame him for our relegation though - if you're relying that much on a 20-year-old without a single senior appearance to his name, you're doing something fundamentally wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else think Stockport County will pick him up? I am surprised he's not joined a rival in this league already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gunner lie but disappointed he’s gone .. when we signed him coming from city and the city fans I asked about him all had positive things to about him and when he played for me he looked good. I wish him all the best for his future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About PON

Pride of Nottingham

Pride of Nottingham is an independent fansite devoted to Notts County, the world’s oldest league football club. Created in 2013, it has served as a source of Magpie news, features, match previews, reports, analysis and interviews for more than three years.

Support PON

Enjoy our content? Want to help us grow? Your donation will go a long way towards improving the site!

donate-pon.png

Meet the Team

Chris Chris Administrators
Magic magpie Magic magpie Administrators
ARLukomski ARLukomski Administrators
CliftonMagpie CliftonMagpie Global Moderators
super_ram super_ram Media

Social Media

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Pride of Nottingham uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. To approve, simply continue using the site or click 'I accept' Terms of Use.