A Plea for Support from an Elderly Notts Fan

Wilfordpie

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  741
  • Days Won:  2

I felt disappointed yesterday with all the moans and groans. I have watched Notts for many years and have seen all the bad times: the foundation of Lifeline, which gave the club much-needed support, many relegations, and all the hassle from the last two ownerships. I don’t know why some people feel the need to be vocally disconcerting and get on the players’ backs over a pre-season friendly. It would be nice to have just one season where these fans kept quiet. There is no need for it. Why direct disrespectful comments to some of the younger squad members? They may have made mistakes, but they will learn. Will these fans be there the next time something happens where a bit of support is required?

• Like 16
  • Love 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well said @Wilfordpie I assume you are from the same age as myself and have seen the lowest of lows and the highest of highs as far as supporting Notts is concerned.

There is nothing to gain from getting on the players backs especially the younger squad members. If only these people would stop and think.

• Like 17

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  374
  • Days Won:  0

It’s the same every year when Notts doesn’t perform well in pre-season friendlies. It wouldn’t surprise me if Notts played non-league teams in the past to avoid this kind of overreaction. I don’t know what some people expect from a team that is two divisions higher and has previously spent many years in the Premier League. Some people are just spoilt, while others are simply absent-minded.

• Like 19
  • Love 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

Absolutely, there’s no reason for it. I think some of the Derek Pavis fans just like to complain because it’s the only thing that gets their voice heard. I would rather encourage and support than see youngsters and a team that fought for our promotion get abused for losing a friendly to a Championship team.

• Like 14
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  741

4 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Well said @Wilfordpie I assume you are from the same age as myself and have seen the lowest of lows and the highest of highs as far as supporting Notts is concerned.

Yes, I believe so too. I think these fans need to be called out, as they are on social media. Criticism is fine, but abuse is a totally different thing. To see the young lads heading to the tunnel with shouts aimed towards their play while the game is still taking place just seems so wrong to me.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i agree and i think the stewards need to take action when its constant abuse and not a knee jerk reaction.

• Like 18

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I don’t think being mardy over a friendly defeat is warranted, but some Notts fans have always had short minds. They focus on the wrong things and just enjoy imploding. Where I sat, I heard a few idiots, but I put them down to frustration. I didn’t hear anyone go over the top, but if people were being abusive to the youth players, stewards should remove them from the ground. We are a family club, and people need to keep their thoughts at least rational.

• Like 18

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

I agree with this; we need to be thankful that we are back in the Football League. The issue is that football is a fickle sport, and some selfish people only think about their own needs without considering the thoughts of others. I think if you hurl abuse at a football match, it says a lot about that type of person in general. I wonder how some of these types would like it if someone shouted abuse at them while they were trying to work? When you think things couldn’t be beaten with how pathetic they seem, some have to go that extra step further and take it out on the players for a friendly defeat.

• Like 13
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It does my head in, I can understand a little upset but the level of nonsense I heard at the Stoke friendly really annoyed me.

Witnessing a presumed fan, who appeared to be in his fifties, yelling at Aidan Stone, vocally expressing discontent about our goalkeepers and questioning Luke Williams' decision-making, even going on to predict our relegation, is a pitiful overreaction to a friendly match loss against a highly skilled team.

I don't think we have two **it keepers.

We won't get relegated because the squad works hard, so I don't see the need for this behaviour, and I'm not sorry, I will say something. I'm sick of my enjoyment of games being ruined by people who are mindless, childish and just outright deluded.

• Like 15
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

There were some young fans near me, a group of about 7. They were all shouting at Aidan Stone, thinking it was funny to ask where his hands were and shouting that he wasn’t very good. It was very immature behaviour, but you get 16-year-olds like this in a group. I heard more encouragement than anything else, but the KOP was very silent. I don’t think there’s any need to be rude towards the players, especially the younger ones. They will beat themselves up over the slightest thing, so why be cruel or unkind?

• Like 15

• Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

This is an important discussion. I wholeheartedly agree with @Wilfordpie. Football, for all its competitiveness, is a game of passion and camaraderie. Criticism, when constructive, can contribute positively to the development of our team and players. However, unnecessary taunting and disrespect, particularly aimed at young players who are still finding their feet, is simply detrimental. It undermines confidence and adds unnecessary psychological pressure.

• Like 12

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I wasn't there on Saturday, but I've heard it before and I totally agree. As well as being counterproductive, it's kind of ridiculous early in pre-season when players are trying to get match fit. 

I have a bad feeling it won't be the last you hear of it if we don't start well. Here's a reality check: Stoke City finished 58 league places above us last season. We might have made it a bit too easy for them, but not everyone is going to shine in a game like that. The newbies and youngsters in particular need time to bed in. 

We'd all like to see the team in or around the top seven next season, but there is no guarantee that will happen. We might have to make tactical adjustments, there may well be the odd player who struggles in League Two. Maybe we'll be in for a shock and start badly. If that happens, people need to get behind the team and show their support, because these players and this head coach deserve it, and they will deliver if we give them the chance! 

• Like 10
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  101

I completely agree with @Wilfordpie, there's just no need for these sorts of comments. They're unhelpful and unnecessary, most of all, disrespectful. Let's be supportive fans, not discouraging ones. 

• Like 11

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

There are always a few people in the stands who shout nonsense. You’d think the club would instruct stewards to give verbal warnings about such behaviour. It’s unwarranted, unnecessary, and unwelcome. If people complain about these individuals, perhaps action will be taken? I don’t mind negative comments - people have the right to free speech - but hate and abuse are uncalled for. I have no time for it, even online.

• Like 10

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138

I hate when fans direct their frustration at the players; it’s just unwarranted. I can understand if something major was done or said that upset people, but even Bajami had issues at Wrexham after his mistakes. He apologised and took no end of stick for it. I think quite a lot of those abusive fans thrive on it.

• Like 11

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

I share @Wilfordpie's concern. It's heartening to see such level of loyalty and consistent support. This club has seen its fair share of highs and lows. I've been there when we've celebrated victories and found it equally vexing when we did not fare as well, but I believe that it's part of the journey. Criticism, constructive one at that, is always welcome as that's the way to improve but pointless cacophony and verbal abuse, especially targeted at younger players, serves no good purpose.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  735
  • Days Won:  3

It hurts me to see this lack of respect from some fellow fans. These youngsters out on the field are doing their best and they need all the support they can get. It's easy to sit in the comfort of the stands or at home and pass comments, but it takes a lot to actually go out there and perform. They need our respect and appreciation. We need to stand by them, not against them.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502

This all shows a fundamental lack of understanding of pre-season friendlies.  If they were there for us to win them all we would be playing the Dog and Duck 2 XI.  They are there to learn lessons from and so the Stoke game was a success in my book.  All this gnashing of teeth and wailing just shows a lack of intelligence and class.  I think the youngsters will have learned from the experience.  They will have learned that they need to be quicker, sharper and more accurate. They will now know that they need to work hard relentlessly and not lose concentration, even for a second. 

Unfortunately they will also have learned that there are a group of people in the crowd who are fickle, who don't think or have any filter and who are not supporters (in the widest sense of the word).  Hopefully, some of the older heads will pass on their experience and help them deal with it (I don't imagine we are alone in having a load of drama queens sat n the stands).  They come to watch a game of football, not to support the team...even if they have the tops, scarves etc.  The Kop being quiet is fine by me - it's a friendly, a free hit at stronger opposition and with nothing to play for then it's hard to get up for it in the same way.  I bet if we met in the cup it would be different in most ways (apart from the moaning minnies).

• Like 3
  • Love 6

• Content Count:  231

I don’t understand why anyone who pays to watch a friendly would get that emotionally involved that they would turn to being idiots towards young players. I can’t say a fan would do this. There is just no need, I can’t do anything but condemn it if it was a league match. If you call the youngsters and complain the club doesn’t give them a chance, you are more than a moron.

• Like 9

• Content Count:  10

We must learn to respect the efforts of all our players, they don't make mistakes or play bad on purpose. These friendly games are there for Luke and his staff along with his players to prepare for the up and coming season. The information gathered helps inform the decision making process for on and off the field giving all including the fans great hope for another successful season. Therefore enjoy without judgement. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7

• Content Count:  419

Like everyone else before me, I feel there’s no need for it at all. There should be a zero-tolerance policy for abusive shouts. Once a fan is kicked out a few times, they will start to rethink things. Likewise, if people call it out, then it will most likely stop. I have told people in the past to give it a rest when all they do is moan or shout offensive things. I remember a few years back, Tyrell Waite getting stick from this fan who sat near me.

He had missed a chance, but it wasn’t the worst effort. He shouted to get Waite off the pitch, among comments about him being hi and not good enough. I told him to give it a rest; he still continued, but it did make others heckle him into stopping. There’s just no need for it; it causes them hassle, others headaches, and it takes away from everybody’s enjoyment, not forgetting killing the confidence of the players.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I am shocked by reading this. I feel there’s just no need. I hope these people do not have season tickets because it could be a long season for them. If they moan all the time, it won’t be long before they cause an issue and another fan ends up in trouble due to growing sick of it. It’s a friendly, for heaven’s sake. Why single out poor performances, especially when the players are young, and then give them abuse? It’s beyond comprehension. I do hope it was just a very small minority and nothing more.

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  387

We're all fans here, let's behave like it. Negativity won't help the young players, support will.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

I am 13, I would never abuse a player verbally. I get fed up of seeing older fans act so immature and childish. I try not to listen to them, I hope the players don't listen too.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  881

There’s no need to be abusive during a friendly game. I could understand if it were a difficult league game like Swindon away and the players let the fans down, but not in this situation. I think some fans can’t help themselves, and while I would understand in rare circumstances, I still personally wouldn’t be abusive. However, if fans where I am sitting decide to pipe up, I will quickly tell them to pipe down. Call it out; if you don’t feel comfortable being direct, tell a steward.

• Like 2