Lack of Transfer incomings

Pie since 89

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  44
  • Days Won:  1
  • 𝕏:  twitter @chogger5

With pre season starting on Monday is anyone getting concerned with the lack of noise coming from Meadow Lane with regards to incoming signings? I know the season doesn’t start for a few weeks but there was a lot of noise made about getting business done early and having the squad in place by the start of pre season that doesn’t appear to be the case now. Appreciate that players try to hang on for as long as possible before signing but I think the longer the players get to train with Ian Burchnall the more chance we have to getting the good start required.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Slightly. I expected more to be signed up by now. Especially the midfield. 
But… I have faith the manager and recruitment team are playing a good game and signing people who will make a big difference at the right price.

I’ll admit to being old fashioned and wanting the team spine in place for beginning of pre-season training, but sometimes it doesn’t work like that.

Would be good to get a couple more in pronto though.

• Content Count:  323
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @NottsGeezerCal

I understand what you're saying however I think we may have a handful of trialists that we will be looking at to see if they can fit into how we are trying to play. No point signing someone who then can't play in our system.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,924
  • Days Won:  162

i am pleased we are taking our time to recruit well, i dont think these things can be rushed but what is slow is the media coming out of the club. i get its a busy time but there could at least be a few things instead of silence.

the signings i fully get but the no content being put out makes it worse.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I’m not too worried.... yet! Other than Chesterfield and Barnet who are signing a good few (I think Harry Kewell is just going through a list of his previous players) no-one else has been massively active. Stockport just signed their first player and I don’t think Wrexham have signed anyone yet. I’d rather wait and end up getting quality than panic sign players cos we think the numbers are looking a bit short.

It’s weird last time we did the majority of our recruitment early (and spent a wedge) we ended up getting relegated. And then the season after we did all our transfer business last minute and we got to a play-off final!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think Notts will make two more permanent signings, before choosing to fill the rest with trialists.

We don't know Ian Burchnall's approach to signing players, he might take longer to reflect on whom he brings in - from any potential list offered. Provided we get the depth needed, with hard-working/quality players we will be pushing on.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I heard that players have only returned this Monday, I don't know if Notts has begun training but I would imagine more dealing to start being finalised as of next week.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

@Pie since 89 I think we are a few signings short of our starting 11, so pre season can settle down the squad but I do feel that signings will start to become more imminent now.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I'm not too worried, we've still got well over a month. Ideally you'd want most of the team in place for pre-season, but there's still plenty of time. Hopefully a couple of new faces (ideally midfielders and wing backs) will turn up at training to run the rule over. 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  884
  • Days Won:  1

The squad is there, it just needs a few new faces and a bit more quality. Morale in the Notts camp will carry on from last season and those new additions will join a confident squad. I think it's a positive thing that we haven't gone out and signed every Tom, Dick or Harry.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

I am sure if its the right player Notts would priorities it, otherwise I am completely happy to wait for signings.

I'm more keen to see actual news being released by the club, it's gone very quiet and whilst I appreciate staff might be busy or away. Things should be in place to keep the fans engaged and in the know. Season ticket sales for example is a big thing right now, a quiet media output doesn't encourage people to renew or get their tickets. There's things that could be done, yet the odd quiet day is fine. Just not when the news comes out once in awhile, compared to the days of nothing.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

One point that I would like to make, there will be lots of free agents and it must be a demanding job to deal with processing this. Even if Notts has a short list, there's still the hassle of dealing with those greedy devils called agents.

Plus Notts has put money into signing players from clubs, so they might be waiting to see what develops in the transfer market.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

It doesn't bother me as much, but a few signings and a bit of news would be nice.

I know fans are speculating that under the Reedtz brothers there won't be rumours, but this falls on the local media to play their part.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

There's no concrete rumours under the Reedtz and the rumours we do have are pure speculation. There were people saying we were talking with Sterry, Oats etc.... but there's nothing to say that we were or even offered them a contract. 

Vincent was out of the blue and so was Cameron. Expect more of the same. 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

There are so many scenarios to deal with as there will be players we have looked at who might be holding out for a football league deal, so are delaying a decision. It looks like we are being a bit more methodical in our approach and I'm hoping that we have stopped the offering of stupid wages to entice players as that has never worked out well for us.

• Content Count:  688

@Pie since 89: In no way is my comment directed to you, as I see your well explained point.

A third signing has fans eased, talk of a 'lack' has been replaced with running away with the league and this is far from realistic. Whilst I think Notts are building on a very good established squad, by no means do I worry about a lack of signings or think we are competitively ready just yet for the new season.

• Content Count:  106

@themightymagpies Typical start of the season nerves, it would be a similar issue if Notts had signed every player going. Fans would naturally worry about how they would all settle in but I think the recruitment has been spot of so far.

• Content Count:  908
  • Days Won:  3

In my day, teams would make do with small squads and little changes. A signing is a bonus at the end of the day, if the recruitment does its job to bring in the right players, worries will naturally fade.

Archived