Oldham v Chesterfield

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It’s being said that Oldham and Chesterfield will battle it out for National League title and it will be as gripping as the battle between Wrexham and Notts at the top.

Thoughts?

• Like 15

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I can see that.  It could also be as gripping, but less likely to be as conclusive.  I can't see those two finishing 24 odd points above 3rd place, so in many ways it may be even more gripping as other clubs will have more of an impact on the outcome.  At the end of the day, between us and Wrexham the interest was around who would buckle under the pressure, and neither side did (I wouldn't say we buckled, it wasn't as if we collapsed at the end).  We both just kept winning and winning.  This time it could be gripping, but not in the same way.  

• Like 13

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i think boreham wood will be in a shout for promotion, i can see chesterfield doing well but oldham i cant see being in a title race myself.

• Like 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Chesterfield will have it easier than we have had it, it's really their season to gain promotion and I do hope more teams mount to the challenge of going for it.

• Like 12

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I don't think it will be as gripping as Notts v Wrexham but I hope that there's a great challenge at the top so that people carry on taking notice of the National League. For years it's gone unnoticed but has grown in numbers over the past couple of seasons even more so after last season. 

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

This season won’t be anything like last season, which was a once-in-a-lifetime type of season. It will most likely come down to a couple of sides. I don’t even think Chesterfield will find it easy. I can see all the teams having average spells, which will make it more interesting.

• Like 13

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

It won't match the freak season we've just experienced, but I expect Chesterfield to challenge at least. It would be good to see Oldham sort themselves out, and I fancy Boreham Wood to make a more serious challenge. I could also see Hartlepool in and around the playoffs, their manager has won the NL before.

After that I really don't know - maybe someone like Altrincham? 

• Like 7

Supporter+

I agree, I don’t think we’ll see the likes of last season in the National league for a long long time. 

As an afterthought did anything ever get settled about 3 up three down to that league or was it just hogwash?

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I think there a few teams that have a better chance this season, one being chesterfield. A season can surprise you though.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  1

Thinking about the wider competition, Boreham stands out as another strong contender in this title race. Whilst Oldham and Chesterfield hog the limelight, they've quietly been carving out some impressive results. If they keep their composure and deliver consistent performances, they will be a force to contend with and could give the main contenders a run for their money.

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I think it’ll be a one-horse race in the new year, with Oldham, Rochdale, and Yeovil not forming a title race.

• Like 11

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I think Chesterfield investing in their squad will see them do well. I can’t imagine the league being between 3 or more teams. Oldham is a strange team that could surprise people. There are some teams that may spring a surprise, like Barnet.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Chesterfield have the strongest squad on paper. They should win the league but this is Chesterfield, they never do things the easy way 🤣. I think they'll race into a 10 point lead, have a mini collapse and eventually win the title on the last day of the season!

• Haha 8

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  618

Great discussion here. Not certain Oldham can maintain title race form though, but Boreham is a wild card. Definitely a team to watch this season.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The level of competition in the National League isn't as fierce now, the top six teams is quite average. It is going to be a real treat watching these matches to see who causes a surprise and who fails to make the grade.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  528

What interests me most about this title race is the level of competitiveness and unpredictability. It's refreshing to see that, unlike many top tier leagues where the outcome becomes somewhat predictable, the National League still evokes that passion and nerve-wracking uncertainty which make for thrilling football.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  1,091

I agree that the battle between Wrexham and Notts was gripping, but each season brings its unique stories. Oldham and Chesterfield are certainly geared up for the competition, but like in all leagues, other clubs will also play a part. Smaller teams, with the potential to upset the larger ones, can turn the tide too swiftly.

So, yes, the title race will definitely be gripping. But the suspense won't just revolve around the competitiveness between Chesterfield and Oldham. Instead, how the other teams perform will also significantly influence the final results.

• Like 5

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,133

Pressure affects differently for every team. The past season showed us how Wrexham and Notts delivered in stressful conditions. If Chesterfield and Oldham can manage their nerves and keep delivering results, we might see a title race similar to the last season's. It's going to be a monumental psychological battle more than anything.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I think Chesterfield will struggle at first, as teams will know how to play them and it's not like they are a great team at that level. I wish Woking and Boreham Wood well, I would like an underdog to suprise everyone.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350

Though there's much speculation about Oldham and Chesterfield battling it out for the title, I think we're underestimating Boreham Wood here. They've shown resilience and the ability to surprise, and they might just stir the pot this season. Furthermore, looking at scouting and player development, Boreham seems to be doing it right, which may tip the balance in their favour.

Chesterfield has shown plenty of promise, and they're probably expected to be in the title race. But Oldham still being included in that equation is a bit of a head-scratcher. They need to improve their performance dramatically and consistently if they want to get anywhere near the title race.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  210
  • Days Won:  0

I believe that initially, it will be a close competition between a few teams, but Chesterfield may eventually find it easier. Oldham could be similar to us, needing consistency to reach the playoffs. While it may not be particularly thrilling, there should be some unexpected developments.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I think it might be between four teams until at least next year. I can’t see one team running away with it, but I do believe Chesterfield should be the favourites. I secretly hope they struggle and end up bottling the playoffs. I would like them to break Wrexham’s exile record from the Football League. It would teach their idiot fans.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

I think we might end up being surprised by how other teams give Oldham and Chesterfield a run for their money. I can see Chesterfield’s attempt at buying themselves out of the league failing, if I’m perfectly honest. I just have this feeling that they will bottle it and end up in the playoffs.

Supporter+

I personally hope Chesterfield go up, I have friends who are Chesterfield fans, it’d be great for Notts, Chesterfield and Mansfield in the same league, assuming Notts don’t go up to league one of course.