Connell Rawlinson ...Out of order on Social Media

Piethagoram

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

I can see why. The young lad presents his views as if he's an expert on all these things so I can see why people might get annoyed.

However, Connell shouldn't be weighing in on the lad, regardless of his opinion or how many pints he's sunk. The lad looks early 20s or younger and is a Notts fan, bite your tongue and move on.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Oh dear, I really can’t see the need to make a comment like that, it’s very strange. :huh2:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

This isn't it from Connell. Not towards one of your own fans anyway. I know Tom and he puts a lot of hard work into his analysis and threads.

This isn't even football related either, it's over a tweet about boxing. He's allowed an opinion, as is everyone. This whole thing of "you have to have been involved in the thing you are talking about to have an opinion about it" is rubbish I'm afraid. Otherwise, no football fan who hasn't played professional football before, would be allowed to have an opinion, even though we follow it every week.

I have an interest in wrestling and F1 as well. I've never stepped inside a wrestling ring or an F1 car, but I can still have an opinion on it. I love the bloke for his contribution to Notts, but this isn't the one I'm afraid. 

On a side note, I'm not sure why there's a few Chesterfield fans piping up. After what happened with furlough, vaccines, their player at Oldham and Dobra's antics against us and after Wembley, I'm not sure they are in a position to speak about morals.

• Like 4
  • Love 6

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Looks like it’s been deleted, probably wise and maybe next time he’ll think before pressing submit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

12 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I can see why. The young lad presents his views as if he's an expert on all these things so I can see why people might get annoyed.

However, Connell shouldn't be weighing in on the lad, regardless of his opinion or how many pints he's sunk. The lad looks early 20s or younger and is a Notts fan, bite your tongue and move on.

i dont think connell rawlinson will have tweet because of drinking.

otherwise i agree with your opinion.

however, rawlinson is entitled to his opinion and its no business for anyone to weigh in on. to say that connell is out of order for tweeting, then we need to take a closer look at what many of our fans say and do because we are no saints.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm a bit late to this, although I noticed many, many comments and tweet regarding something Connell Rawlinson had said on Twitter.

There's no need for anyone else to get involved, that's my first thought. I am sure Tom is capable of rising above the comment. So, why the need to make a mountain out of a mole hill is beyond me, but there's always something.

I have also seen worse things said, which nobody gets up in arms about.

Tom seems like a very nice lad. I haven't spoken to him in person, but I have exchanged messages. I don't think there's any harm in what he does; he's perfectly entitled. If people who didn't play football couldn't have a say, well, there are some managers who have done remarkably well in the game and have never kicked a ball. Many of the boxing pundits have never thrown a competitive punch.

So, it's a bit of a silly comment by Rawlinson, but I haven't lost any respect for him.

We don't know what prompted the tweet, so that's why I say it's got nothing to do with anyone but the two people involved. It's very much, something some are trying to make a bigger thing out of. Rawlinson has done right by deleting the tweet, that's the end of it as far as I am concerned.

As I say, Rawlinson is just as much entitled to his opinion, but this extends to Tom too. This isn't something to be taking arms against, whilst it's not needed - worst things happen. Those outraged by the comments, I hope they don't overlook some of the abusive things that happen which are far worse but get ignored. At the end of the day, we should stand as one and be kinder.

End of...

• Like 2
  • Love 11

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

As for Connell Rawlinson, I don’t believe he was out of line, but his tweet was unnecessary. Does he need to apologise? In my opinion, no. I’ve seen tweets that would make apologising difficult. It’s not fair to take offence at a player expressing his views, then defend your own or engage in offensive remarks. This includes liking such comments; it just puts you on the same level. The tweet shouldn’t have been posted, but it wasn’t offensive. The outrage seems to be more due to the attention surrounding Tom’s work.

• Like 11

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

It was all a bit unnecessary really. Rawlo is perfectly entitled to his opinion and probably took offence to Tom’s comments after the first two games of the season. This may have been gnawing at him and after seeing Tom’s post on a different sport, he snapped.

Rawlo isn’t a very active tweeter, so probably hasn’t got notifications switched on and was possibly warned it was kicking off by a teammate, hence the slow deletion. Personally, I would have much preferred him to go after Tom for any disparaging remarks on the team rather than a totally random sport.

• Like 6
  • Love 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  285
  • Days Won:  0

If Connell Rawlinson is permitted to voice his thoughts, then no one should be denied the same right. He shared his viewpoint without resorting to abuse or inappropriate behaviour. His comments, while perhaps ill-considered and likely to incite public support, were not offensive. Taking umbrage at such remarks seems rather absurd.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The entire situation seems to have been blown out of proportion, and I don’t believe an apology is warranted. I’ve seen the tweet, and if Tom wants to project maturity, he should refrain from endorsing frivolous comments. It would reflect better on him if he chose to rise above it, but considering some of the tweets he’s been receiving, it’s all proving to be quite beneficial for his public image. That’s why I find it hard to believe that he’s genuinely bothered by what Connell Rawlinson wrote. It’s all rather petty; one would expect better from Rawlinson, but he’s entirely within his rights to tweet whatever he pleases, as long as it’s not offensive. Taking offence to being told to ‘stay in your lane’ seems rather thin-skinned and weak-minded for someone who dishes out analyses and opinions that could potentially provoke others.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

"Football critic and now a boxing critic something you've done none of? Bet you have never had a fight or a proper football match in your life. Pretender springs to mind. Stay in your lane son."

There’s nothing inappropriate or out of line about this, I believe there’s more to it and that Connell Rawlinson simply chose to make a poor judgement call. He’s received a lot of unjust criticism, some of those offended by the tweet are likely within that group but it doesn’t excuse that it was unnecessary to tweet.

29 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

It was all a bit unnecessary really. Rawlo is perfectly entitled to his opinion and probably took offence to Tom’s comments after the first two games of the season. This may have been gnawing at him and after seeing Tom’s post on a different sport, he snapped.

Rawlo isn’t a very active tweeter, so probably hasn’t got notifications switched on and was possibly warned it was kicking off by a teammate, hence the slow deletion. Personally, I would have much preferred him to go after Tom for any disparaging remarks on the team rather than a totally random sport.

I wholeheartedly agree, however, Connell Rawlinson will still be receiving those remarks about ‘being professional’. If you put yourself in the public eye, you need to accept the negatives and move forward. Rawlinson will have done this, until the tweet. If you want to behave as if you know everything, you need to accept that some will challenge you. No one is immune to criticism and this is just that, it’s not rude or unacceptable. It’s simply not required, but do we know the full story?

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I’ve been pondering over Connell Rawlinson’s recent comments about Tom Williams. While they weren’t offensive, some might argue they were a bit unnecessary. It seemed as though he was questioning Tom’s credibility based on his personal experiences, rather than critiquing the quality of his analysis. Let’s not forget, everyone has the right to voice their opinions and engage in football discussions, regardless of their personal experiences in the sport.

That being said, there’s a silver lining here for Tom. Rawlinson’s comments could be seen as a nudge towards a more in-depth understanding in his analysis. Maybe it’s time for Tom to consider incorporating more research or expert opinions into his content to bolster its credibility. This could mean interviewing players or coaches, studying game strategies, or even getting involved in local football activities for a first hand experience of the sport.

Let’s remember, constructive criticism is a stepping stone towards growth and improvement. It’s not about proving oneself to others, but about learning and developing one’s skills and understanding. So, keep your chin up, Tom! Your passion for lower league football is clear as day and truly commendable.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

• Content Count:  374

Just be kind to one another, lads and lasses. There’s no need for confrontation, but equally, there’s no need to be overly offended by something so trivial. The tweet could have been more constructive and without jabs, but unless Connell Rawlinson explains his choice of words, everyone should simply move on.

• Love 3

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

He should have kept his thoughts to himself on this occasion. His comment wasn't offensive in itself, but as a club employee he probably has a code of conduct to adhere to when using social media. A club employee telling a fan to button it isn't a good look.

If this is the Tom I'm thinking of, CR came in for a lot of criticism after the Sutton game in particular. It was justified however.

Claiming only professional footballers can judge football matches and tactics is far wide of the mark - fans might not see what goes on at the training ground, but we have a very good view of what happens on the pitch. There are also qualified referees, coaches and former players among the crowd. Can you only have a favourite band if you play an instrument yourself? Does CR have an opinion on Champions League matches, despite never having played at that level himself?

I know that when you criticise a player, there's a human at the other end who's trying his best and might see your comment. That's why abuse is not cool. But analysis and debate should be allowed. 

• Love 4

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Wise words @DangerousSausage

My mind goes back to Gabriel Sutton's twitter a couple of weeks back

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

4 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

If this is the Tom I'm thinking of, CR came in for a lot of criticism after the Sutton game in particular. It was justified however.

I know that when you criticise a player, there's a human at the other end who's trying his best and might see your comment. That's why abuse is not cool. But analysis and debate should be allowed. 

This is a problem in the social media age.

Normally, when you criticise a player to your mates down the pub, 3 or 4 people hear your argument. 

However, Tom has amassed thousands of followers online, much to his credit, and I imagine the reach of whatever he posts is in the order of several magnitudes of that.

Therefore, when he posts on social media outlets that Rawlinson had a bad game, which he has done numerous times, and even goes to the extent of suggesting his replacements, which he's done numerous times, you can imagine Rawlo might not react too kindly to it. Additionally, there's a collaboration of a few accounts that have also said similar things, with even bigger reach.

Rawlo is well within his rights to have a pop back. You can't sit there naiively and tell thousands of people you think somebody should be replaced in their job and still think you can be everybody's friend. 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

3 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Rawlo is well within his rights to have a pop back. You can't sit there naiively and tell thousands of people you think somebody should be replaced in their job and still think you can be everybody's friend. 

If he feels the need to have a pop, he shouldn't be reading it in the first place. Having people publicly discuss your performance or even your replacement is in the nature of working in the public eye, whether you're a football player, a manager, a politician or whatever. That's the case however many people are listening - in the past it was in the NEP, today it's on certain Twitter accounts.

Of course football fans are fickle and often talk rubbish, and reading personal criticism about my performance when I'm living from one contract to the next would not be good for my mental health. So it's important to steer clear. Alan Hardy and Ray Trew probably wish they'd stayed away from it, and they were the boss.

It does seem a bit unfair that players have to effectively turn the other cheek while the world and its dog is discussing you, but short of censoring all discussions that mention players by their names it's the best way. It's just part of the price you pay for living the dream of being a professional footballer. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

If Tom’s tweets came across as personal or inaccurate, then I would understand, but it seems not to be the case here. Rawlinson is well within his rights to tweet whatever he wants, but he should be aware that snide remarks don’t reflect well on him. It was previously pointed out that if it was a tweet about Rawlinson, it would have been fairer, but it was about boxing. People have opinions, and in this day and age, everyone seems to want to be offended by the slightest criticism.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  133

The ongoing social media spat between Connell and Tom is indeed intriguing, though it does seem rather juvenile. This is not intended as a slight against Tom, the fan involved. Regrettably, Connell Rawlinson was unable to restrain himself, which likely stems from his passion and disappointment. However, this doesn’t excuse his ill-advised tweet. While it’s understandable that he reacted to an offensive comment, his response does come across as petty and unnecessary, which is the real letdown.

It’s also worth noting that the ensuing discussion here is far more productive than the unwarranted verbal attacks on Rawlinson by some individuals. Such behaviour is equally unacceptable.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  1,096
  • Days Won:  2

Everyone needs to calm down and stop making a fuss about everything. We’re leading the League Two table, yet some are fixated on blowing this out of proportion. My worry is that this might perpetuate the situation, so let’s put it to rest and hopefully, everyone can mature. To those tweeting Connell Rawlinson on social media, kindly refrain. Otherwise, people might delve into your social media past and it might not be as spotless as you presume.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I terms of what’s posted on twitter, Tom’s comments were relatively tame. I can tell you right now the replies to Notts’ tweet about him giving away a pen or the reaction (overreaction) to the tweet about MK Dons scoring will be much worse.

Feels like he’s picked on the wrong guy here. Especially when you see the same names posting things like “X needs to do one” or “X is so bad” (that’s the expletive subbed version!). If he replied to one of them I can’t imagine the backlash would be as bad, they offer no critic and are just personal insults. Instead, he went for someone who slightly criticised what he did on the pitch.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  687

Connell Rawlinson might think that Tom Williams is the cause of the problem. He probably doesn’t like Tom because of the negative comments from people who claim to know better about certain players. It’s not really Tom’s fault, he just shares his opinions. However, it can be risky when he interacts with people who are rude, as it can seem like he is endorsing their behaviour. Some of the negative comments about Rawlinson have been responded to, which isn’t a good idea, even if you are upset. There’s a difference between tweeting something that should stay private and responding to rude tweets. It’s easy to see why it might seem like he is the target. I don’t blame Tom, but it would be better if he avoided these kinds of interactions. It never reflects well on you. Connell should block and ignore these people.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It’s disheartening to see Connell Rawlinson publicly criticising someone for merely expressing their thoughts. Whether he has the right to do so or not, some things are better kept private. However, considering the criticism he likely receives, it’s forgivable. Hopefully, Tom Williams won’t take it personally and will distance himself from any abuse. This would demonstrate that he’s not there to cause trouble but to share his thoughts. From what I’ve seen of his tweets shared here, Tom seems like a bright lad who hasn’t done anything wrong.