Ollie leaves Nottingham Post as Notts reporter

Piethagoram

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I thought Ollie was doing well, but I still don’t like the Nottingham Post. My issue isn’t with who covers Notts; it’s with the people higher up and the paper itself. It’s a shame Ollie King is moving on. I wish him well. I hope whoever comes in is half as interested in establishing a connection with the fans as Ollie and Leigh Curtis did.

• Like 16

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

It's not uncommon to hear people jokingly talk about The Nottingham Post being a lesser publication in recent years. If Ollie left because he chose to, then he might have recognised that there is tremendous pressure, but there are fewer rewards.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,086
  • Days Won:  2

You couldn't fabricate any of this; it's a complete debacle. Said the Nottingham Live editor. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I heard it was not his choice and the Post are cutting back on Notts coverage,, don’t know if that’s true or not, it won’t make much difference to me I never read it, not even online. There’s plenty of other places to read about Notts.

I do however feel sorry for anyone who loses a job I know that pain.

• Like 8

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

There's no need to stress. It's likely that they will eventually hire someone to write about Notts, though it may not be as in-depth or frequent as we would prefer. The Nottingham Post hasn't been the same since the mid-80s.

In its online format, the website is cluttered with advertisements, making it quite slow to load. Even when looking at the newspaper version, mentions of Notts can be few and far between.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

ollie was doing a cracking job, i thought he had picked up from leigh curtis who was set in his ways and ollie took that torch and ran with it. the coverage had been so much better, i really cant understand why the nep and bbc radio nottingham are cutting back on notts.

the post is a shambles but i feel sorry for their writers because they do try.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Ollie had followed PON, I want to say a week before Wembley. I had meant to message him, basically to praise his efforts and to introduce myself. However, I didn't find the time. I have since sent him a DM wishing him all the best and thanking him.

Ollie came across as a very passionate sports writer; it's a shame that he's being forced out as he does well.

You can't buy the type of connection he had with fans, and I'm afraid, Nottingham Post are shooting themselves constantly in the foot. It's a poor decision by them, yet they will find someone with other titles and roles within their organisation to offload more burden onto. :(

As others have said, it's the company and people higher up who suck.

• Like 10

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

This is why Notts fans should stop complaining about the Nottingham Post and simply avoid it until the paper learns from its mistakes. If the Post allowed Ollie to do his job properly, more fans might be inclined to purchase a copy. Newspapers are struggling because they fail to adapt to changing times. They either don’t write stories that appeal to their readers or they treat important news as insignificant. Ollie, on the other hand, has always seemed to do right by Notts fans.

• Like 10

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

I don’t know the man personally, but I feel sorry that he lost his job. I know he used to write for the Nottingham Post, but beyond that, I don’t know much about him. I hope he manages to find a new job that is more secure than his position at the NEP.

• Like 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,503
  • Days Won:  9

I feel sorry for Ollie King. He has worked hard and deserved a bit of a break. The content rolled out by him was of a good standard and more frequent, I felt. It’s a shame to see him go. He will probably be replaced by someone straight out of Uni. Whoever it is, I hope they bridge with fans.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

It’s unfortunate to see Ollie King leaving. He’s done well and I hope he finds a place where he can settle in and stay for as long as he wants.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Well, I couldn't agree more! It truly is a crying shame to see Ollie go, especially considering the fantastic job he was doing at the Post. It's like shooting yourself in the foot, isn't it? It seems like the Nottingham Live (or shall we say, Lies) and NEP are only interested in shovelling out sensationalist news rather than fair, impartial reporting. I'm ashamed to say that it's becoming all too common in today's media industry.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  868

Oh, I must say, Ollie has been doing a fantastic job of late - arguably the finest the Post has seen in quite some time. His unwavering focus on Notts and the provision of insightful content sets him apart from many others in the field. It's particularly admirable how he doesn't shy away from ruffling a few feathers with his incisive ratings, speaking his mind candidly even if it may put some noses out of joint. He demonstrates a commitment to fair and honest evaluation which has been nothing short of refreshing for all of us invested in the club.

• Like 6

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,742
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Life seems unfair, Ollie was new to Notts journalism and I'm sure he would have been recompensed with a lower salary than more experienced hacks. 

• Like 4

• Content Count:  731
  • Days Won:  3

Landing a sports writer role is a dream job. I feel sorry for Ollie, but that’s the Nottingham Post for you. Having a writer just for Notts and Forest seems a bit redundant to me, but I appreciated Ollie’s approach to Notts. If the NEP thinks Notts fans will accept mediocre content from them, then they can kiss goodbye to any loyalty our fan base has. I only bought the paper when Notts had good features, and that was largely thanks to Ollie.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  381

I've been disappointed with the coverage of our beloved club in the local media. It's understandable that cost-saving measures must be taken, but it's frustrating to see Notts being passed on to journalists who have no connection to the city or the team. We deserve our own dedicated reporter who understands our history and passion for the club. I hope Nottingham Live will prioritise reinstating Ollie King or finding someone who can connect with the fans and give us the coverage we deserve. It's time to focus on what's important and cut out the unnecessary gossip and unrelated content.

• Like 6

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,128

Ollie King deserved better treatment. For once, I felt inclined to buy the Nottingham Evening Post (NEP), but now I feel like I would if I went near someone showing obvious signs of COVID-19.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  455

Ollie has been treated unfairly and I agree with those who have decided not to buy the Nottingham Evening Post (NEP) anymore. I used to check if Notts was featured before deciding to buy it, but now I’d rather not support a company that treats people like they did with Ollie and disrespects us by reducing our coverage while focusing on every little detail from Forest’s perspective.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  686

Ollie King did a superb job in a short amount of time. He settled in well and it would have been nice to see him continue. I hope the Nottingham Evening Post (NEP) reconsiders their decision, as it reflects poorly on them. They may not care, but laying people off is often the beginning of the end.

• Like 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Days Won:  17

Sad for Ollie, he always did a great job reporting on Notts and his media interviews with the Notts players were always a good listen. 

• Like 5

• Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  3

Ollie King did fine and I doubt he’s on a large salary. A few dismissals above him could allow for more actual writers who could do a better job than just making cuts and bossing people around.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

I'm not familiar with Ollie, but I've heard my dad and even my grandfather complain about the Nottingham Post. I can't repeat what they say in public, but after reading this, I understand why they feel that way.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

On 01/06/2023 at 23:13, KingWilliams said:

Ollie King deserved better treatment. For once, I felt inclined to buy the Nottingham Evening Post (NEP), but now I feel like I would if I went near someone showing obvious signs of COVID-19.

i wont be buying a paper from them, i occasionally did but i think it shows their lack of focus on us.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  419

I feel sorry for Ollie. Every shift I settle down to the NEP and read through it. The quality has suffered; there are some stories I couldn’t imagine being newsworthy, but they’re in it. I have always been thankful for the sport section; however, sacking Ollie has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and for this reason, I will be avoiding it from now on.

• Like 1