If you could change one thing at Notts?

AmericanPie

I'm expecting some to say the Munto saga or when Derek Pavis sold certain players.

I personally can't really think of anything during my years, I was too young when Derek Pavis owned the club and the Munto saga restored the club back to an healthy level. I know the clubs been having some issues, yet we wouldn't have returned to League One and we would have remained an average League Two team that never really improved. So, I would say the years after I wished could change because I don't think the community has been looked after properly but that's just my opinion. I know plenty of other fans who share my thoughts on this.

2 Major points for me.

1. The sacking of Mick Walker. This came at a time when we played the best football I can remember at the Lane. So much skill in his teams. We wold have gone on to be a much bigger club if we had stuck with him imo.

2. Letting the momentum slide after Cotterill left. That was tantamount to going down again immediately. We needed him and his style so we should have run the club finances to nothing to keep him. Not as much as above, but another chance wasted.

i wished peter trembling sold the club back to the fans, i think it would have been ran more professionally without half of the heartache caused. i know this may upset some, or make nasty bitter people cross but i would rather have the armstrong guy back as the chairman than to see the club fall in the way it did.

3 hours ago, hissingdwarf said:

1. The sacking of Mick Walker. This came at a time when we played the best football I can remember at the Lane. So much skill in his teams. We wold have gone on to be a much bigger club if we had stuck with him imo.

I agree, Mick Walker left Notts too early and wasn't able to bring his squad out more.

I feel if we had of kept him things would have turned out much differently, it might have even seen us return to the top flight.

Supporter+
On 01/07/2018 at 17:04, hissingdwarf said:

2 Major points for me.

2. Letting the momentum slide after Cotterill left. That was tantamount to going down again immediately. We needed him and his style so we should have run the club finances to nothing to keep him. Not as much as above, but another chance wasted.

Excellent answer @hissingdwarf I couldn’t agree more. :clapping:

Somehow I would change all the relegations we have had over the years, perhaps it's the managements fault or the finger falls on the owners.

It just makes me feel sad seeing such a club like Notts, with all its potential playing in League Two.

I want to joke about choosing to support Notts but I have very limited options otherwise.

Following the club is also more rewarding than being a glory supporter, I won't say this. I think preventing Munto would be my call or perhaps finding another owner to continue the success we had back then.

• 3 weeks later...

I want a giant scoreboard placed between the Pavis and the Haydn Green stands so it blocks the view of the city ground, hopefully those new buildings across the road might do it for us 😉 

On 01/07/2018 at 17:21, liampie said:

i wished peter trembling sold the club back to the fans, i think it would have been ran more professionally without half of the heartache caused. i know this may upset some, or make nasty bitter people cross but i would rather have the armstrong guy back as the chairman than to see the club fall in the way it did.

@liampie Sorry Liam, the financial reality at that time, is that the Club would in all likelihood been liquidated. Raymundo's deep pockets help saved the club as the Munto fiasco unravelled. In hindsight, had there been any real interest, Kasper could have been sold for a few million with add ons...the reality at the time, no club came in for him. 

Just think if we could have signed Ritchie, he would have been a  saleable asset.

There has been a long history of the Club selling players below market value (Martyn Busby, Masson, Needham, Rideout, Finnan etc) or real assets like Judge leaving for nought.... although there would have been a storm if the chairman had sold Judge earlier and then be accused of no ambition.

Notts didnt achieve the full value of Pennant's contacted value, as they were caught short of the "dosh" prior to eventual administration

On the other side, some real clangers of players bought over the years (Dave Robinson from Peterborough 400k, Agana 685k, Hackworth 150k and a 5 yr contract, Forsyth from Derby,  Hayhurst...Sol (presumably a signing on fee, cancellation of contract settlement maybe), Idle (150k)....many more but my brain's gone mushy:frantics:

On 03/07/2018 at 12:10, SouthwestPIE said:

I would have ensured Sam Allardyce had a longer contract and included a clause which mean't any interest would have to pay a steep fee in order to get his release. Big Sam could have returned Notts back to the old Division One no problem.

The big travesty was that Bolton were eventually fined for poaching, but no compensation was ever paid to Notts. At that period in time, I don't think clubs had any "compensation" clauses built into contracts?

2 Major points for me.

Mick Walker and Ricardo had so many similarities...very good and entertaining football at home but neither could set up a team away from home...

Walker decision making became suspect like in the Anglo Italian Cup final, when you need a goal, you don't take off McSwegan and bring on "I don't know where the goal is" Agana:hyper:

As regards Cotterill, he presumably wanted a Championship Club budget to stay..... just wasn't possible... Club needs to live within its financial reality

On 03/07/2018 at 15:01, TheSkipper said:

I want to joke about choosing to support Notts but I have very limited options otherwise.

Following the club is also more rewarding than being a glory supporter, I won't say this. I think preventing Munto would be my call or perhaps finding another owner to continue the success we had back then.

well said @TheSkipper. I recall receiving a direct call from Glenn Rolley? extolling the virtues of the bank guarantee. He read the guarantee out to me and I told him whther it had been checked by the Trust's bank? but it read like it was a fraud..he cut me off. 

On 01/07/2018 at 16:43, Truefootballfan said:

1st I would go back & give Neil Warnock a lifetime contract.

Unfortunately, Warnock lost the plot that season and had to go, he made some absolute garbage signings that season and it wasn't a surprise when Mick Walker came in and started playing a load of the reserves, along with the old guard of the promotion seasons.

I would add to @Piethagoram replies in that we brought in Nigel Jemson in 94 and Walker dropped McSwegan for him?!? Also, our successful season under him was based on a team around Drapes and he wasn't (couldn't be) replaced when he went to Leicester.

Personally for me the sale of Paul Rideout and Tommy was the massive mistake that I would change when you think it was the season before the Premier League began. I'm not saying they would have kept us up, but we would have had a better chance with them.

After promotion to League One in 2009/2010, I would have changed who Notts hired as the manager. I don't think Craig Short was the right manager in hindsight, he rushed to change the squad and I don't know if he had interference with his decision but the squad he built wasn't very good.

I feel he weakened the squad.

Archived