Match Discussion: Game 2 - United (A)

PON_News

Game 2 - United (A)

Team: Cambridge United

Date: 11/08/18

Where: Abbey Stadium

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

notts needs to play better than what we have seen so far, cambridge would be a good team to get some more points on the board for us. i am nervous about playing worse away from home personally tho.

i can see this being another draw at 1-1

• Like 2

I don't really want to jump in by saying "I don't rate Cambridge United" because this would be testing fate, I think it will be another slow game - unless Kevin Nolan provokes a positive reaction from the squad.

The difficult thing from my eyes is how we retain possession, I think it's naturally harder away from home.

This might means Notts revert to lumping the ball forward and, I can see this limiting chances. If they play in the ground, I am confident that two or three goal scoring chances will fall. I just hope Notts can lead before the end of the first half.

It could swing any way, but leading would ease things in my opinion.

• Like 9

Get an early goal Notts, make them have to work for it and just assume control over the game from there.

If we fail to beat Colchester and Cambridge the season could be much slower than we had hoped for. I know it's early but promotion teams usually go into them starting off well, so I hope things pick up on Saturday.

• Like 3

Cambridge lost their main striker last year which will be a big blow. Not really noticed much transfer business but I think they still have Brown who score against us last year, he is a good unit. I am going for a 0-2 away win for Notts because I think KN will be keen to build an away form this year and I think this might be the time we see Dennis and Hemmings play together.

Lineup for me is this: Fitzsimmons, Tootle - Duffy - Hall - Jones, Thomas - Vaughan - Hewitt - Boldewjin, Dennis - Hemmings

Cambridge United 0 - 2 Notts County (Thomas, Dennis)

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Wilfordpie said:

I just want to see a good performance by the squad, a draw is acceptable if they work hard for it.

I think we all do.

If the work levels had been higher last Saturday against Colchester, nobody would be concerned about Cambridge. Whoever scores first will take the points I feel, if by half time its 0-0 it will be a draw.

• Like 1

Good opportunity for Notts to claim their first win against Cambridge.

Some of my friends think it would have been better if the fixtures handed the club a tougher start, that they might be more eager to start off better but I think it's a case of slowly does it. 2-0 Notts win!

• Like 3

Fitzsimons

Tootle  Duffy  Hall  Kellett

Hewitt

Enzio Vaughan Thomas

Dennis Hemmings

This is my squad and lineup, if Thomas struggles through on Jones into his position. Give Kellett a chance to start, see if he can bring something different to the squad.

• Like 2

I'm nervous about how Notts might play away from home.

I feel Kevin will get a response from them, its just if things don't go to plan then what happens? It could be all doom and gloom if the players fail to put on another performance. I would take a draw but I am hoping for a win.

2-1 is my score prediction.

Hemmings and Vaughan to score.

• Like 3

It would benefit Notts if they allowed Vaughan to unlock teams with his passing, some have been quick to be negative but if Notts are to play passing football he's the key. Hewitt is the work horse not the creative outlet, both wingers need to be on the ball against Cambridge. I expect to see better from the pair, neither impressed me all that much against Colchester.

Dennis and Hemmings have to start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingKev said:

I feel Kevin will get a response from them, its just if things don't go to plan then what happens? It could be all doom and gloom if the players fail to put on another performance. I would take a draw but I am hoping for a win.

I'm wary myself if things don't go to plan, there has been a considerable amount of knee jerk reactions based on drawing the opening match.

Notts should do better Saturday against Cambridge.

• Like 1

I feel optimistic about Notts tomorrow.

If Hemmings and Dennis start, they should make a difference and I can see the score being something like 3-1. Cambridge United should be a closer test to see what this side can do, as they have no improved all that much compared to their squad last season.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 22:39, KingKev said:

I'm getting nervous myself.

Notts look good when they lead but I worry about what if Cambridge take the lead? I'm unsure the players will respond well to it.

• Like 1