Is a creative midfielder needed?

AmericanPie

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I am reading a lot of comments that the club could do with signing a creative midfielder or winger, surely a creative player would be higher on the priority list?

Sam Osborne may lose important development time if a stronger winger is signed, which would be a crying shame. I know I am an exile, but I don't see Neal Ardley dropping Enzio Boldewijn. That still leaves Sean Shields, and I think some have mentioned Regan Booty can play out wide.

Perhaps, a little more quality in the centre of the park would be the best bit of business the club could do? You need creativity to feed the strikers, I feel the club could do with a king ping midfielder than can unlock play with his passing.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

tbh i would prefer a winger.

sean shields seems to be a rotational player, i still belive sam osborne will still get some game time if we signed someone else. it might give enzio a chance to rest and be up for the bigger games where we need him at his best.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

I would like to see the club work at developing Tom Crawford further, he's done well at times. I think we could get away without signing anyone else, but if a priority is put on signing one more then it needs to be a winger.

We can go through the middle but are limited out wide.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

I think a creative CM or winger would improve the squad, but as others have said in different discussions there is clutter which needs reducing. I don't want the new owners to risk over spending either.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

Anything to fill the gaps without being a huge wage earner i think.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,802
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Regan Booty when fit, fulfils that role..... But a @Piethagoram pick would be James Comley of Maidenhead

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

The club could do with a strong, creative midfielder who has experience but isn't at the wrong end of his career.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

A winger seems more important than a CM, we like natural wide players and just look how much of an impact Sam Osborne has made. If Neal Ardley has any sense he would give Ozzy a guaranteed start until he requires rest.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  36

I would prefer both, but If I had to choose one it would be a creative midfielder, but one with a good engine and quite quick, not one that only wants to attack and looks like they're running through mud when the opposition have the ball.

I would rather sign nobody though than someone that isn't a big upgrade on what we already have.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Ideally, Notts does require a winger and someone more creative in the centre.

Mitch Rose isn't the answer, he's someone who might be able to take on Michael Doyle's role in the future - but for me he doesn't have the drive or overall ability to be the player who can unlock the opposition. It's quite slow minded, on his day a good footballer but he's not the player who shined last season.

If the option were between a CM or winger, I'd take the winger as a priority.

Simply due to the fact we could be far more effective if we used the wider areas on the pitch better, it frees space for the middle and more time would allow what we have to do more themselves. Signing a CM in my opinion would only be the short term answer, especially if we dismissed the need for some natural on the wing. Enzio drifts in far more than he takes players on out wide, Sean Shields is okay but lacks the ability to beat a player who is defensive minded. Shields has a lot of pace, he doesn't have a lot of skill with his feet and tends to be caught out a lot.

Sam Osborne is the only player who can side wide and get the ball in, attacking the dangerous areas in which we tend to neglect. He can also take on the opposition both out wide and by drafting in, so that he can cut the ball back or put a ball into the box. His ability to strike from distance is useful, especially with the standard of keeping in the National League.

I feel this explains as to why a winger would be more beneficial, if the options was between a CM or a winger.

If money isn't a problem, signing both would help but the priority is out wide.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

No, I would rather the club signed a winger.

Mitch Rose and Michael Doyle are good enough for this league, there's cover with Regan Booty etc.

We lack getting the ball crossed in, an area where Kristian Dennis and Kyle Wootton would thrive. Wes Thomas may benefit from having crosses which pull him into space, but a winger that is good would be a great signing for Notts.

Ive not heard anything yet, time will tell if its a rumour or actual news.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  1

I would welcome either a creative midfielder or winger, both positions would add strength. Perhaps Neal Ardley can find one player who can play both positions?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

Tom Crawford has done well at this level, he's the type of player I wished Notts could get the best out of as I feel his potential is bigger than what some realise. Young players will make mistakes, it's about learning and improving.

For that reason I would prefer a winger.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,356

I just want to see what happens now, I don't dismiss that a winger or creative midfielder could do a job. I am just mindful of the fee we have paid and how the owners will be wanting to run at an acceptable cost.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I think so, with Ross Fitzsimons going out on loan I think one could come in. I would prefer a winger but a CM wouldn't be missed.

I do think any loans that go out will help to bring in any needed players, when we do need them.

• Content Count:  739
  • Days Won:  3

I would say this is the last piece in the jigsaw, I wouldn't mind another young midfielder signing but someone completely different to Regan Booty as this way it would bring something different to the club.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  387

I am more than happy now, if the club needs anything else, I think that the loan window would be the easiest route to explore.

• Content Count:  106

Wait to see what happens with Jim O'Brien, if he comes back and remains injury free he will provide what is lacking. If he gets injured again, which I would hope doesn't happen. I would look at the loan market, if anything happens to O'Brien again I will think he's been cursed.

• Content Count:  1,099
  • Days Won:  2

I think we can leave it off now, there’s good enough players waiting to play. No point complicating it any further.

• Content Count:  884

Not with Jimmy being so close to making his return, Regan Booty and Mitch Rose can fill in for the experience if needed.

Archived